Talk

Advanced search

the best make up products to add glow / highlight / luminescence?

(31 Posts)
mightywoman Fri 22-Sep-17 17:09:29

What do you all use to get that Jennifer Lawrence style glow on your cheekbones etc? I've seen Sali Hughes talk about the discontinuance of Dior Glow Maximiser last year and say that something else was coming along that would be as good but not sure what it is ...

Aridane Fri 22-Sep-17 17:12:58

Watching ...

TableMirror Fri 22-Sep-17 17:25:40

I've got a Delilah and an Hourglass one, can't remember what they're called though. The Delilah one took months to get hold of though, both powder compacts.

TableMirror Fri 22-Sep-17 17:26:22

http://www.spacenk.com/uk/enGB/makeup/cheeks/highlighter/pure-light-compact-illuminating-powder-UK200016645.html?cmm_mmc=Google+UK--F3D+-+UK%7CEN%7CDSN%7CN%7CGoogle+Shopping+-+Brandss_Delilahah--%7Bproductgroup%7D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3JDYzJq51gIVDsayCh0tdwM-EAQYCSABEgIMUfDD_BwE

TableMirror Fri 22-Sep-17 17:27:33

http://www.spacenk.com/uk/enGB/makeup/complexion/powder/ambient-lighting-powder-MUS300023943.html?dwvarr_MUS300023943_color=US300023943

PaperdollCartoon Fri 22-Sep-17 17:29:31

Hourglass ambient lighting palettes are best things ever. I've had a couple, really worth the money.

mightywoman Fri 22-Sep-17 17:31:13

oh! interesting ... I wasn't expecting a powder ...

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Sep-17 18:09:32

I'd be interested to hear a few suggestions too.

Preferably a high street brand you can pick up in Boots or Superdrug.....

Lineeye Fri 22-Sep-17 18:11:51

Benefit high beam

NYX Dewy setting spray is fantastic too.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 22-Sep-17 18:13:48

Strobe cream is always good.

I prefer creams to powder, it's easier to control the application.

thethoughtfox Fri 22-Sep-17 18:15:40

The Becca highlighter is incredible. I have super fair skin and have pearl. It has a noticeable and beautiful effect.

WindyWednesday Fri 22-Sep-17 18:16:11

Recently I've been transfixed by sales assistants in shops, they seem very shiny and glittery. All sorts of bronze and gold colours all over their face. I realise I'm an old glimmer, but what are they putting on, and where can I get some? a bit of shimmer might brighten me up!

AccrualIntentions Fri 22-Sep-17 18:17:40

The hourglass ambient light powders are really buildable, I like them.

Illamasqua Beyond Powder is amazing if you want something more dramatic, it's a powder but has a liquid effect on your skin.

WellTidy Fri 22-Sep-17 18:21:34

I have that Dior product you refer to. Unless you're really good at highlighting, and know exactly where to put it, I wouldn't recommend it. The only way I can use it is to mix a little bit of it with my foundation. Then you have a glowing all over but it's subtle. I use a little bit of benefit high beam under my eyebrows and that looks subtle too. When my Dior runs out, I am going to buy Becca Backlight.

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Sep-17 18:34:05

I have some Benefit Sun Beam, which is similar to High Beam, and I really struggle to apply it properly. I wear a powder foundation, so I guess it would go on under that??

Hourglass is £40. shock It would have to make me 20 years younger for that.

mightywoman Fri 22-Sep-17 18:43:24

ooh great lots of lovely tips
I have heard of that Becca stuff - where do you buy it??

MrMeeseeks Fri 22-Sep-17 18:47:53

Soap and Glory sell a highlighting fluid that's quite cheap - you could have a play with that and see what you think before you splash out on one of the others mentioned here. I like it but have oily skin so I have to be really careful where I put it.

mightywoman Fri 22-Sep-17 18:49:54

ah yes - the soap and glory one is called Hocus Focus

IreneDunne Fri 22-Sep-17 19:06:13

Benefit High Beam and NARS Optimal Brightening Concentrate.

Ktown Fri 22-Sep-17 19:52:00

I use Dior glow maximiser diluted a little with moisturiser
The key ingredient is synthetic phlogophite (synthetic mica)
Ysl has a cream highlighter with the same ingredients
Becca etc just use mica and that is more white.
The PUR highlighter from m and s also has this ingredient

Loyly Fri 22-Sep-17 19:54:44

Benefit That Gal and Boots No7 Instant Radiance Highlighter stick are my two favourites.

Desperad0 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:56:33

I use a mac quick stick and then mineraliser powder, but she also looks like she has a few foundation, lancome tint miracle has a similar effect but i think you need a good primer with it or it doesn't last

peppykoala Sat 23-Sep-17 11:13:26

Not sure if Sali Hughes may have been talking about the Charlotte Tilbury highlighter she's reviewing in today's column??

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 23-Sep-17 11:21:33

Today's column is about highlighters, but I find there are better recommendations in the comments bellow.

mightywoman Sun 24-Sep-17 23:23:29

oh brilliant timing! hadn't seen Sali's latest column
I agree the comments below are helpful - I might ease in with one of the cheapies like the Barry M liquid chrome highlighter someone has mentioned and take it from there ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now