Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How in the name of heat protection spray do I get hair like THIS !

(27 Posts)
Chicinwellies Wed 20-Sep-17 12:19:39

I have (lots of) fine hair, which is about to go in for the chop. I am a nightmare client at the salon with my iphone of pictures that I'd like to come out looking Exactly like. How do I (after lovely cut) recreate this 'kind' of effortless (taken hours) look! x

PNGirl Wed 20-Sep-17 12:24:48

A big, fat curling wand. Like the Cloud 9 Waving Wand.

Chicinwellies Wed 20-Sep-17 12:47:22

I've heard such mixed reviews about these. Do you have them?

PNGirl Wed 20-Sep-17 14:02:28

I've got this one which is excellent but this is for curls rather than waves:

You'd need a fatter one, and to wrap it around in big chunks going away from your face.

PNGirl Wed 20-Sep-17 14:02:38

Sorry, meant to add link:

Paintbox Wed 20-Sep-17 14:05:04

Look up vids on you tube of waves using straighteners, it's pretty easy, I do this to my hair everyday and it looks like your pics

CremeDeSudo Thu 21-Sep-17 10:36:57

Also struggle with this as I have so much hair!

I have the Mark Hill Rock Chick wand that I used to make waves but it ages me ages

Should I get a fatter round one like the cloud nine one? Would it be easier? Or should the Mark Hill one suffice?

Sorry to hijack! blush

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Thu 21-Sep-17 12:23:28

I have a Remington dual curl and I use to get curls like those pictured. Only about £20 too.

gingerbreadmam Thu 21-Sep-17 12:25:29

i have a mark hill wand. theyre cheap enough and you can buy different attachments but i would go for a large straight up and down wand and get some volumising powder for your roots.

you can also use a soft bristled brush to come through the ends of the curls so they dont stay so formed.

Chicinwellies Sun 24-Sep-17 20:42:08

Could you recommend a wand that won't make it too curly, more beach waves, and will last v well ?

gingerbreadmam Sun 24-Sep-17 20:44:52

the mark hill wand. they are 3 for 2 on boots so i would buy the handle, the wavey wand and the large barelled wand. i will like to them for you.

gingerbreadmam Sun 24-Sep-17 20:50:06

a sea salt spray like this might relax it a bit too

PricklyCacti Sun 24-Sep-17 20:50:55

I also just wave mine with straighteners and it looks like this. You have to brush it through afterwards to get the soft waves. It's seriously dead easy once you get the hang of it.

IdentityRequest1 Sun 24-Sep-17 21:14:55

I have the wide cloud 9 straighteners, and that's the kind of look I get... Curl it in big sections, away from my face.

MistyMinge Sun 24-Sep-17 21:33:48

Watching with interest. Had my hair cut into a lob with the intention of it looking like your pics, but I'm shit at it. I'm using straighteners. Might buy a curling wand. Don't want to spend loads.

CremeDeSudo Mon 25-Sep-17 07:37:21

Thanks for linking to the Mark Hill stuff that's definitely tempting!

Those that say they use straighteners-can you link to a video or guide on exactly what you're doing pls? I've never been successful at it but wonder if I was trying a different method!

gingerbreadmam Mon 25-Sep-17 08:11:17

when i use straighteners to wave mine i do it a bit like when you corsaltina a piece of paper. best way to explain it.

so you put the straighteners on ur hair in the position you would to straighten then you twist them up then the opposite way moving them down your hair as you go. That does it nicely but i still prefer my wand.

Lambzig Mon 25-Sep-17 14:28:23

Does this work on fine hair. Whenever my hairdresser does it, the curls fall out by the time I get home.

gingerbreadmam Mon 25-Sep-17 15:50:25

the wand or the straightener method? both will work and olenty of hairspray should keep it in place. i spray hairspray all over and comb through befote i start then all over again when ive finished.

if i want the curls to hold tight i would spray each section after doing as well. i usuall section mine ear to ear. pin the top half uo and do the underneath then once done let the top down and do that. once all done i go to the mirror and tilt my head back - can easily see any bits you have missed then.

NameChangr678 Mon 25-Sep-17 16:47:37

Curl it with straighteners.

It's pretty much like curling that metallic parcel tape with a pair of scissors - way quicker, easier and less faff than using curling tongs, which I never got the hang of.

CremeDeSudo Mon 25-Sep-17 22:12:53

Ok have watched a couple of video tutorials and going to have a go tmw. Last time i tried this I just ended up with really straight hair!

Chicinwellies Tue 26-Sep-17 22:47:16

CDS how did you get on with the curl by straighteners !

DoYouWannaQuilmes Wed 27-Sep-17 07:02:17

What product are we all using, please? Very fine hair here that is flyaway and a tendency to fluffy/frizzy. Thank you.

Mooey89 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:10:07

Just use your straighteners! I do this to mine all the time with mine, really easy once you get the hang of it. Good luck!

CremeDeSudo Wed 27-Sep-17 07:42:54

Didn't work sad I've got wide straighteners would that be why? Also does it need to be ghds or equivalent?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: