Talk

Advanced search

Winter Coats - Petite Thread...

(12 Posts)
ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:52:11

Can we have a thread for us shorter ladies to discuss coats? I'm currently a size 14 but should be a 12 by the time it gets more properly cold...

I'm going to need 2 coats I think:
1) smart, long-ish for every day going to work from October onwards; and
2) the proper-full-on-arctic-condition one with hood. (I live in Scotland)

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks! grin

BlueEyedWonder Sun 17-Sep-17 22:16:15

I'm 5ft and a size 6 - 8 in high street shops.
I've just been looking at a technical parka on the next website. Comes in petite fit. This would make a good day to day coat for me.
I also need a smarter wool content winter coat. I've seen a couple of Boden ones that come in petite. So far, little else!
I'm disappointed M&S haven't done any of their decent trench coats in their petite range

ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 17-Sep-17 22:44:24

I picked up a nice trench coat in Tesco a couple of years ago. It's cotton rather than that shiny fabric and is red/orange and double-breasted. It wasn't petite fit as such, just not designed to be v long and the sleeves weren't particularly generous. I think I bought it in spring though but it was only like £30 or something.

I do think that for a winter coat, I need to try in-store rather than buy online...I need to see the fit (needs to be big enough to go over a jumper) and actually feel the material with my hands. grin

BrawneLamia Sun 17-Sep-17 22:50:39

For the proper warm and waterproof coat, have a look at Lands end. They do a petite range, mine is five years old and going strong.

PrincessWatermelon Sun 17-Sep-17 22:58:59

I've just bought this one from Oasis
https://m.johnlewis.com/oasis-short-leah-funnel-coat-mid-grey/p/3306110
I'm 5'3 and size 10 and it's a great length - I find most coats end up looking too long. It's not the warmest in the world, but looks smart.

dameofdilemma Mon 18-Sep-17 11:04:58

In past years I've found a smart, long (just below knee length) wool type coat in Mango in XS that's fit me well (5 ft size 6-8).

Have also bought both parkas and shorter wool type coats from Zara in XS that have fit well.
(The Spanish brands are cut smaller I find.)

Last year bought a Phase Eight size 6 fitted, belted quilted coat with hood in navy. Properly warm, waterproof and smart.
Phase Eight has come up trumps for a couple of work dresses too this year, their size 8 seems cut quite small.

Bought a great trench 2 yrs ago from M&S petite, knee length, navy but think that was a one off as rarely find anything in M&S fits.

legfaced Mon 18-Sep-17 13:57:42

This is the thread for me!

I'm returning to work after mat leave in a couple of weeks and want to find a coat that is smart enough for work. Needs to be properly waterproof, and have a hood (will be walking my son back from nursery in the pushchair so no free hands for umbrellas).

Any thoughts? 5ft 2 and a size 8. Budget is limited!

WellTidy Mon 18-Sep-17 14:03:26

Your number 2 - I have a fantastic black Jack Wolfskin coat which I had last summer in the zalando sale for £55. It is wonderful. So, so warm, enough shape on it so that it is flattering (given what it is), adjustable hood.

I am 5 foot 1 and a generous size 10. I think I bought a Small.

BlueEyedWonder Mon 18-Sep-17 14:19:40

Thanks for the Lands End reminder!
They have a couple of coats that might suit me day to day as I need something warm and shower proof with a hood.

Topshop Petite have a nice black parka style coat online but I need to get to the shops to see it in the flesh!

upsidedown2017 Tue 19-Sep-17 11:35:35

Some of the Seasalt coats are huge even in a size 8. Did try and like the Bowsprit though.

Also found Lands End huge even in petite.

WellTidy Wed 20-Sep-17 23:02:37

I have a code for £20 off a £40 spend at Lands End if anyone is planning a purchase.

dameofdilemma Thu 21-Sep-17 14:22:24

Just tried on a great winter coat in Oasis - knee length and fitted (detachable fur collar). Only reservation I have is its very pale grey so would have to be a second occasional coat rather than every day to work coat. Which means two coats to buy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now