Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Anti-ageing: what treatments do you swear by?

(22 Posts)
LemonMans Sun 17-Sep-17 17:44:11

I had fillers when I was 30, but thought it looked unnatural and puffy and it put me off 'those types' of treatments. I am now 37 and after a consultation with a (thoroughly researched) dermatologist, and assurances that I would not look frozen or permanently surprised, I recently tried Botox and I am amazed with the results! I look like me but with less wrinkles. I can still frown and lift my eyebrows but I look happier (according to my mum) and I never look tired, not even first thing in the morning!

The reason for this post is I want to know what other treatments are out there which are more effective than creams and serums but not as invasive as surgery? There's lots of information online, but I trust other's experiences, rather than beauty sites. Does anyone have any anti-ageing treatment recommendations? I would like to treat my neck, under eye area and jowls (before they go full Hooch).

user1484311384 Sun 17-Sep-17 17:53:24

Steer well clear of all the botox and fillers. You are far too young for all this. I would suggest you look at the various facial oils (M and S, Darphin, generic almond oil), and massage it into your skin. The long term effects of toxins injected into the skin are not known, do you really want to experiment with your beautiful face? If you like the experience, then go to a beautician for a 'non surgical face lift'.

expatinscotland Sun 17-Sep-17 17:55:39

I see ageing as a privilege. I'm 46. I'm pretty sure I look it, too, but I care not a jot. Fuck it, I love being alive and try to live each day to the max.

Paintbox Sun 17-Sep-17 18:10:51

I agree with expat aging definitely is a privilege. I know not of any treatments that help prevent aging looks but I'm sure others will.

Rainbowglow Sun 17-Sep-17 19:03:24

I swear by regular facials at Skin Laundry and Face Gym. I am 46.

Floisme Sun 17-Sep-17 19:07:23

Probably not what you're looking for but:
No smoking.
No sunbathing.
Sunscreen.
Not much booze.
Good diet.
Bit of exercise.
Sunscreen.
No magnifying mirrors.
Sleeves.
Short sight.

Dustbunny1900 Sun 17-Sep-17 19:40:54

Aside from a good diet and no bad habits like smoking/drinking or going to sleep w makeup..

The number 1 rule is broad spectrum sunblock and hats

Prescription retin A

Red light therapy (tried it at a local gym, just after one session my skin felt different)

You can also look into micro needling and laser resurfacing

Don't underestimate diet and oils/creams though

newmum1993 Fri 22-Sep-17 10:29:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Laiste Fri 22-Sep-17 12:41:09

Nothing beats a boring lifestyle, lots of water and sunscreen as many days as you can remember to do it year round.

Personally my no.1 tip is exfoliation. I've been exfoliating my face (nothing fancy, a pair of those scrubby mits with a bit of shower gel or normal body scrub on bare hands) since i was 15 at least 4 or 5 times a week and my skin is wrinkle free and plump at 49. No decent cream or oil will work as well if it has to fight it's way though a layer (or 3?) of dead skin cells. Get them off!

Skinwise i look about 32. (can't say the same for the rest of me mind you grin).

Nuttynoo Fri 22-Sep-17 13:01:59

Drink water
Sleep
Cleanse and Moisturize daily, then tone with cold water
Keep a stable weight - yo yo dieting makes skin sag.

Ktown Fri 22-Sep-17 13:06:05

excellent diet.
face oil (grapeseed, and a touch of rose-hip)
a little sun cream
eyebrow thread
make up: specifically highlighter and concealer
a good hair-dye job.

Lottapianos Fri 22-Sep-17 13:10:07

Totally agree with all the boring lifestyle stuff. It makes such a difference. Look after your health and it will show on your face

Also double cleansing, using a serum and moisturiser that work for your skin (they do NOT have to be expensive), acid toning (ditto) and daily SPF

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Sep-17 15:06:14

Lots of water
I don't drink alcohol (bit of a coffee fiend but hey-ho)
Never smoked
Good genes (GM and DDad look years younger)

Dodgey eyesight !

bettybiggestballs Fri 22-Sep-17 15:53:10

I love a treatment, radio frequency for lifting. mesotherapy for skin plumpness and the odd peel for exfoliation.

I enjoy it, I earn my own money and couldn't give a fig what others think of it! grin

PollyPerky Fri 22-Sep-17 16:00:01

There is no way at 37 you need to treat jowls or your neck unless you have aged prematurely.
I'm sorry but you sound a bit deranged.

These are the type of things women my age think about- late 50s. early 60s and older.

Tips:

Diet- no sugar, booze but plenty of good fats, veg and oily fish.
Sun block spf 50 daily, every day.
No smoking
No sunbathing on your face.
Sleep

Dustbunny1900 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:06:50

Yea good point, sugar destroys collagen ^

CountFosco Fri 22-Sep-17 16:44:33

Not what you want to hear really is it? Flo's list is excellent, although I'd say do more than a bit of exercise, you should be doing 30 mins moderate cardio exercise 5x a week plus at least 2 sessions a week of strengthening exercise (like yoga or pilates). Basically you should exercise every day. This will keep you looking young because if your core muscles are strong your posture will be good. Doesn't matter what you do to your face if you're bent double in your 70s you will look old.

ponderingprobably Fri 22-Sep-17 18:10:27

Attitude and not giving a proverbial!

Delatron Fri 22-Sep-17 22:09:08

Wow to fiillers at 30!

LemonMans Sun 01-Oct-17 11:52:50

Thanks for sharing your tips and treatments. I am not sure why anyone would comment on anything else, but such is the nature of Judgenet mumsnet.

I have been interested in diet and health for years and already do the ‘basics’, I run, weight train, drink lots of water, follow a nutrient-rich diet, use SPF all year etc. I started this thread specifically to find out about treatments people have tried as anti-ageing technology has developed significantly in the last 10-20 years and as I approach my forties it’s something I am interested in. Thanks again to those who positively contributed, I will look into those treatments to see if they are suitable for me.

IncidentalAnarchist Sun 01-Oct-17 11:55:20

I get Botox too, OP, and it's ace. Don't let judgey haters dissuade you from doing what's right for you

Peanutbuttercheese Sun 01-Oct-17 12:01:48

Two of my friends do facial exercises, have a look on you tube.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: