Talk

Advanced search

Silicone free styling product for not very curly hair

(15 Posts)
EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 15:02:47

Sorted for shampoo and conditioner. I have wavy-ish hair that is fairly short but horribly fluffy due to choppy cut and lots of highlights. I need something to calm down the fluff whilst not weighing down my hair.

I don't need something that will hold or define curls because I just wear it wavy. Any recommendations?

woofsaidtimmy Sat 16-Sep-17 15:09:08

Have a look at Living Proof products. Sold in John Lewis and larger M&S. I like the curl cream, it's very light on my fine hair and not sticky or crispy.

MightyMunki Sat 16-Sep-17 15:11:12

Boots curl cream works well for calming down fluff. It does contain alcohol which can tend to make the hair a bit crispy, however if you water it down a bit before you use it, it should calm it down without leaving it crispy.

EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 15:11:29

Will do. Do you just put in on to damp hair before drying?

I wonder whether some sort of spray would work... hmmm.

EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 15:12:08

Boots curl cream is too heavy for me Mighty, but thanks.

EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 15:16:10

Here are the ingredients for Living Proof No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, is there anything here I should be avoiding?

Alcohol Denat, Water/Aqua/Eau, Octafluoropentyl Methacrylate (OFPMA), Fragrance/Parfum, Dipropylene Glycol, C10-40 Isoalkylamidopropylethyldimonium Ethosulfate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Citral, Geraniol.

woofsaidtimmy Sat 16-Sep-17 15:20:04

I didn't get on with Boots curl creme either. Too heavy and sticky.

EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 15:21:37

I'm hoping there may be a product somewhere between 99p and 33 quid. grin

lasttimeround Sat 16-Sep-17 15:53:42

The alcohol denat is a drying alcohol - probably want to avoid that. Tesco blue gel is good. Into wet hair scrunch out. Instead of curl creme just leave in ordinary silicone free conditioner. Superdrug extracts have several without silicone. One of the tesco own brand ones is silicone free and wax/paraffin free the others have some heavy wax or oil. Theres a very good Facebook group for curlies

lasttimeround Sat 16-Sep-17 15:54:43

Pantene do mousse lots of curlies like.

margaritasbythesea Sat 16-Sep-17 15:57:01

I have very fine fluffy wavy hair and have just started using LÓreal Botanicals Safflower. I have tried a lot of things around the same price mark and a lot of oils and things. This is my favourite by a long chalk.

Aveda damage remedy is great but too expensive for me.

EvelynWardrobe Tue 19-Sep-17 13:43:07

Thanks all. Can I also ask, what do you do when you go to the hairdressers? Do you make them use your shampoo and products?

margaritasbythesea Tue 19-Sep-17 14:03:51

No I just start again with the clarifying step or whatever it is called. I use Fairy liquid shock. It leaves my hair really soft!

But I live in a foreign country where I am not yet fluent in the language and the idea of explaining the curly girl method defeats me.

EvelynWardrobe Tue 19-Sep-17 14:49:29

<faints at the thought of fairy liquid>

<faints again at the thought of fairy liquid on freshly dyed mega expensive straight out of the hairdresser barnet>

I'm trying Cantu Coconut Oil Shine and Mist Hold today and I like it. No curl to speak of, but my hair has dried without heat with zero fluff.

WomblingThree Tue 19-Sep-17 16:54:58

I was going to suggest Cantu. Someone on here recommended it and I've been using the Curl Activator. It's quite light and smells great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now