Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

£1k ish on handbag

(205 Posts)
traingal Fri 15-Sep-17 17:12:49

So I have been gifted some money unexpectedly, and would like to splurge and get myself a lovely handbag. I buy very little for myself so am very excited at the prospect! I already have - and treasure - a LV summer bag and a mulberry small going out bag.
I'm happy to spend £1-£1.5k as a real treat. So if it were you which bag would you go for?

2014newme Fri 15-Sep-17 17:14:54

gift is not a verb.

traingal Fri 15-Sep-17 17:16:41

Thanks newme! First ever post and I feel very welcome indeed. What a lovely friendly place this is.

2014newme Fri 15-Sep-17 17:17:26

You're welcome. Enjoy your bag.

traingal Fri 15-Sep-17 17:17:51

Just wondering what you were like before you were reborn into a new person in 2014. Nice, perhaps? wink

KC11 Fri 15-Sep-17 17:19:04

I'm rather partial to Coach.
They're not so pricey but good quality.
Perhaps another LV could be what you're looking for.

LapinR0se Fri 15-Sep-17 17:19:24

Actually, gift is a verb and is correctly used in this context.
Do you like structured bags or slouchy ones and is it for everyday use or going out/occasions?

2014newme Fri 15-Sep-17 17:19:37

A red lip
Gift as a verb
On trend
'rocking' any 'looks' are all on my cringe list

youlittlecharmer Fri 15-Sep-17 17:20:15

ignore rude poster! I'm pretty out of the loop on handbags but a few years ago would have loved a Balenciaga city or Givenchy nightingale - no idea if they still exist! I'm seeing a few people with the velvet Gucci cross-body (can't remember the name) which is gorgeous but if I was spending that amount I think I'd want something I'd use everyday rather than a special occasion, but you might be the opposite!

TishHope Fri 15-Sep-17 17:20:54

I would go for something classic that will last for years - probably in black. Enjoy your bag!

LoveB Fri 15-Sep-17 17:21:11

gift
verb
past tense: gifted; past participle: gifted
give (something) as a gift, especially formally or as a donation or bequest.

It can be a verb.

Anyway, gosh, lucky you. If it were me I wouldn't spend it on a bag! But I'd probably buy a horse (or part of one at least) so each to their own!

smellybeanpole Fri 15-Sep-17 17:21:51

Definitely Mulberry! Almost always keeps its value too.

buttwingsham Fri 15-Sep-17 17:22:05

2014 what a charming person you arehmm

Train- how exciting! I'm not sure what I would choose there are a lot I like. Do you want a day bag? Or maybe a gorgeous evening bag?!

Just to warn you threads like this can get a bit snippy as people will tell you that they would never spend that on a bag and would buy one for £100 and spend the rest on holiday.

I think I would buy a pair of Chloe Susanna boots but that's just me!

traingal Fri 15-Sep-17 17:22:21

I've not considered Coach but just had a look (am I allowed to use the word in this context newme wink?) - some lovely bags, thank you KC11

Lapin - I think I'd prefer an everyday bag, although I do work FT so I guess slouchy or structured might work <helpful>

Cheesymonster Fri 15-Sep-17 17:22:28

Lucky you! I'd go for something from Givenchy, I like the Nightingale or Pandora.

For my 40th I got a Mulberry Alexa.

What style are you after - office, casual or evening?

ootlander Fri 15-Sep-17 17:23:21

2014 gifted might be on your so-called "cringe list" but that does not make it wrong in the context that it is being used.

Cheesymonster Fri 15-Sep-17 17:23:52

Oops cross posted with everyone there.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Fri 15-Sep-17 17:24:05

A Chloe bag? I would have said some kind of tote but you have the lv. How about a rucksack a smart one like themulberry cara which I think k is now the Bayswater rucksack. Something that style?

Blossomdeary Fri 15-Sep-17 17:24:08

I would go or something cheap!

Blossomdeary Fri 15-Sep-17 17:24:26

for

Chickoletta Fri 15-Sep-17 17:24:37

So, apart from your 'LV Summer Bag' and your 'Mulberry Small Going Out Bag', you barely spend any money on yourself? How deprived you must feel...

YouAndYourFloofyCatNose Fri 15-Sep-17 17:25:30

Gift has been used as verb for hundreds of years, hasn't it?

I love it when people make a dick of themselves and they're in the wrong and look like even more of a dick grin Poor 2014

<no help with bags whatsoever>

YouAndYourFloofyCatNose Fri 15-Sep-17 17:26:36

God, why do people have to be such dicks?! It's style and beauty FFS, go and be dicks in AIBU or something?!

traingal Fri 15-Sep-17 17:27:16

Thanks so much for the ideas - googling like mad!

And Chickoletta yes - I never spend any money on myself - those were both (incredibly generous) gifts. And I never said I felt deprived - I feel very lucky.

HarrietBasset Fri 15-Sep-17 17:27:29

Oooh! Exciting. Is it a every day bag you are looking for a evening bag?
I bought myself a Mulberry Bayswater in Oak last winter and love it and use it regularly. I have a couple of LVs and a Chanel Double Flap which is my absolute favourite.
If I had £1000 at the moment for a bag of probably go for a Mulberry Lily with the chain or a LV satchel or Neverfull. YSL have some beautiful bags currently too.
Netaporter have a good range.
Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: