Talk

Advanced search

Quirky dressers - anyone fancy an autumn thread?

(70 Posts)
Sadik Wed 13-Sep-17 22:07:36

Just that really - I loved the 'I don't want to look expensive' thread (and am going to go back through it for more inspiration) and would be great to know what fabulous things you wear in autumn or are thinking of buying.

I feel like I want to get back into wearing skirts/dresses - I have some office work days in winter so it's more realistic than in summer time & I hate wearing jeans so skirts/tights/boots is a good option for me. I've invested in some new bright / patterned tights, have a couple of skirts I love, but need to figure out the top half now.

From the style blog threads I'd love to dress like the Fake Fabulous blogger though I'm not sure being 5' 1" & small built quite works for that look.

Squashit Wed 13-Sep-17 22:46:17

I am currently admiring the Style of the woman on the oranges and apples blog. Plenty of quirk there.

I also like Skunkfunk stuff and want some Solmate socks.

Squashit Wed 13-Sep-17 22:49:51

Also wanted to add I like Pru's style on the GBBO.

Latest quirky buys are Conker pull on boots which are my favourites and some Jungle shoes - both from Totnes.

Floisme Wed 13-Sep-17 22:49:57

I'm the opposite. I'm obsessed with men's clothes at the moment:
Tweed jackets
Tweed overcoats with raglan shoulders
Finding the perfect slouchy trousers
Trilbies
Brogues (at least I've got them already)

And suits. I was in Italy a few months ago and saw quite a few old men (70-80+) wearing suits and they just looked so cool. Except I'm 5'3 with F-cups.

I'm on the verge of buying my 3rd Harris tweed jacket (if it's still there). It's in a vintage shop and only £20 plus dry cleaning so it would be silly not to, right?

Squashit Wed 13-Sep-17 22:56:41

Go for it- very cool.

My jungle shoes are like this but green and are fabulous.

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 08:26:35

Really love that blog Sadik I find the older I am getting the more I tend to gravitate towards quirky shoes more than anything else but I may just let my inner red and purple free.

These are my current footwear favourites.

Sadik Thu 14-Sep-17 08:47:44

I agree, the perfect pair of shoes/boots just lifts anything that can be a tad dull (and a great hat the same).

Was looking at tweed skirts on ebay yesterday evening Flo - would really like to find the perfect tweed skirt/waistcoat combo. (now thinking that brogues needed too)

MagdalenLaundry Thu 14-Sep-17 08:50:35

Squash it
I love your footwear
Where did you buy?
Love them all but especially the green shoes and the boots

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 09:31:15

Thank-you Magdalen.

The boots are by Conker in Totnes and are handmade. They were expensive but they repair them when they wear out and people have them typically 10 years +. Cost per wear justification went on there !
I also love them and so do my feet 😀

The green ghillie shoes are by Josef Seibel and are called 'fiona'. The leather is incredibly soft. I was lucky to pick mine up in a charity shop unworn.

The embroidered green pair are my 'jungle shoes'. They are also very comfortable. They are made by the Hmong tribe from recycled material and they are all different. If these are the green ones I will try and link for you. 🙂

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 09:33:12

www.jungleshoes.co.uk/

I have my eye on others....

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 09:42:27

<whistles>

I think I may crack and get myself some Dr Martens 1914s too soon. To those who have had them- are they easy to break in nowadays?

MagdalenLaundry Thu 14-Sep-17 09:58:59

I love conkers
I had a multi coloured pair many years ago then my feet suddenly grew again when I was nearly 30 so they no longer fit!

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 10:07:32

That is such a shame and the perfect excuse to reinvest surely?
<enabler>

I sold a pair of shoes that I had made and I REALLY regret it. If anyone has these/sees them/wants to sell them back, please let me know!

TheHeraldOfAndraste Thu 14-Sep-17 10:19:19

squash I found the solid coloured ones harder to break in than the patterned ones. My black ones are still tough, a year and a half later.

These are my latest, bought in the last sale.

Squashit Thu 14-Sep-17 10:35:18

Blow that.... a year and a half!!! Cannot be doing with that 😀

Love your new ones Herald

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 14-Sep-17 10:45:22

Recently discovered Hempcat by accident. Here

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 14-Sep-17 13:00:25

Link doesn't go straight to it, but there is a lovely tunic, that looks like linen, (actually hemp) that can be worn about 4 ways. Sort of stylishly bohemian. I might have bought it, but was something of an investment (which I don't want to make with X amount to lose). They apparently wash well, and don't lose much colour.

Deecee1012 Thu 14-Sep-17 14:24:06

razzberrybazaar.co.uk/product-category/clothing/

Hope I've got the link ok? These are local to me and have some lovely pieces. I've bought quite a few things over the years and they've lasted too

IdentityRequest1 Thu 14-Sep-17 14:42:25

Squashit, I'm breaking in a pair of red DMs as we speak... it's slow work hmm

Sadik Thu 14-Sep-17 17:47:50

Squashit I've never heard of Skunkfunk before - they look like exactly the sort of thing I like, many thanks for the tip smile . What sort of size do they come up (ie are they suitable for the environmentally-friendlily-sized???) - guessing ok as a Spanish brand? Can see a few ebay bids coming up grin

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 14-Sep-17 19:14:47

Sadik -Skunkfunk is pretty small for sizing. Add a size so that it sits/drapes properly.

Sadik Thu 14-Sep-17 20:32:53

Perfect, thanks Troll

Sadik Fri 15-Sep-17 08:18:09

Well, I've had a bit of an ebay flurry & found a few things just ending for reasonable prices Bought a tweedy jacket, Skunkfunk skirt (hoping it won't be too big, but it looks just my thing & I'll take it in if I need to) & bid on an assymetric zippy top.

Squashit Fri 15-Sep-17 08:53:01

Yay! I love a good EBay rummage! Please post some pics of your most excellent choices 🙂

Today I have cracked out a homage to 1970s autumn- my nomads owl tunic, bright orange bead necklace and red or dead t-bars.

Off out to buy wool as I am making a granny squares coat and one of the charity shops had a big drop off. This sort of thing...

Squashit Fri 15-Sep-17 08:57:31

My lovely tunic and quirky shoes (which are great for all those with wide feet)....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now