Talk

Advanced search

I haven't been out in so long. What do I even wear?!

(22 Posts)
SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:08:33

Hi, I've never posted in Style and beauty before so please be kind!

My youngest is coming up to a year and I'm starting to think about very occasionally going out in the evenings again. Nothing major - just to the pub or for dinner (have a few big birthdays/events coming up). The problem is, I have no idea what to wear as I've lived in jeans and t-shirts for so long!

Would love to be able to pull off some kind of cool Scandi-type look, but I'm 5'3" and skinny, and Cos/&OtherStories clothes all look like sacks on me. Don't like showing my legs much, and I don't like anything frilly, heely or very feminine, and don't want to have to wear sculpting underwear or owt. And I bloody hate shopping!

Can anyone help with a few stylish pieces I can feel chic and put-together in rather than awkward and uncomfortable please?!

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:10:04

I should have added that I'm pushing 40 and very tired.

Paddingtonthebear Tue 22-Aug-17 20:11:02

Can you post some pics of looks/outfits/styles that you like? That would help

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:16:20

Hmm, I'm not even sure I can off the top of my head! I'll have a google when kids are finally asleep!

Can you just 'upgrade' your day look, with nice jeans and maybe a drapey t-shirt?

NapQueen Tue 22-Aug-17 20:19:07

Skinny jeans in as dark a navy as possible, with either ankle boots or just ballet flats. Then maybe a black cami and leather jacket or breton top if more casual?

Nice chunky necklace.

Likeaninjanow Tue 22-Aug-17 20:22:30

Ok, so or Scandi, but how about looking at Helmut Lang? Their stuff is pretty chic, not girly or frilly in any way. There are good deals to be found on The Outnet.

If that's outside budget, it could still spark ideas that you could match on the high street.

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:24:46

Sorry, I should have said that skinny jeans don't suit me because of my weird-shaped legs, and black on top makes me look a bit ill cos I'm very pale. I usually wear slim jeans when not at work, but they look a lot less dressy than the proper skinny ones IYSWIM.

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:25:48

Thanks LikeaNinja... will have a look at Helmut Lang but I suspect outside my budget!

How are you re your legs in opaques?

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:28:22

Def up for chunky and also colourful necklaces. If anyone can point me to good places to look for those, I would be very grateful!

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:29:07

Legs are ok in opaques... I'm fine with skirts and dresses so long as they're not too short and I don't have to do bare legs!

Black ruched skirt (Hush), opaques, silky shirt and ankle boots. As comfortable as jeans and a t-shirt!

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 20:40:08

Sounds good...I had been wondering about those ruches skirts a while back in fact. I'll give one a try. Anywhere you'd suggest for a silky shirt? I'd love something with a cool print...

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 22-Aug-17 21:02:43

A bit of an investment, but I love my leather skirt - i tend to wear it with opaques, fine-knit jumpers, and Chelsea boots, or even black leather Stan Smiths, but it could be fancied up with a blouse too.

chloechloe Tue 22-Aug-17 21:06:52

I know you've said you're big a fan of Other Stories, but they do great blouses. The silk shirts especially are great quality for the price and there are lots with nice prints.

Have a look (ignoring the overly frilly ones currently in fashion!):

www.stories.com/es/Ready-to-wear/Tops/Blouses_Shirts

chloechloe Tue 22-Aug-17 21:07:14

That should have been NOT a fan!

Love this one

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 21:16:45

Awesome. Will have a look at Other Stories shirts. I like the idea of a leather skirt but not sure my post-mat leave budget will cut it!

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 21:39:37

Nice, thanks RemusLupins!

SesameSparkle Tue 22-Aug-17 21:40:50

Oasis is pretty good for leather skirts on a budget - with reasonable real or fake options.

SmallAndFighty Tue 22-Aug-17 21:52:47

Thanks Sesame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now