Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Anyone got a Longines automatic watch?

(16 Posts)
Oly5 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:36:01

And do you like it? Thanks!

Yewtown Tue 22-Aug-17 19:04:57

I have a Grand classique. I love it. It is the one with diamond dial.http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longines-La-Grande-Classique-Ladies-Diamond-Watch/p/17350315/?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__17350315,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIurmg6rbr1QIVojLTCh3P6g4WEAQYASABEgKQ1vD_BwE

01forLondon Tue 22-Aug-17 19:11:41

I adore mine! It's a grand classique too, I love the shape, the flatness of the watch face. Sadly it needs fixing at the moment and I haven't got round to it but it's beautiful. I think they look really classy, for want of a better word smile

Oly5 Tue 22-Aug-17 20:05:31

Thanks! Does the automatic thing mean it's solar powered or somethibg rather than batteries?

princessbear80 Tue 22-Aug-17 20:55:13

I have a Longines watch and love it!

This one: www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longines-Sport-Conquest-Stainless-Steel-Ladies-Watch/p/17470179/#fo_c=655&fo_k=68aff67a74c50b21bfa7aedceb37d070&fo_s=slisys

I don't think it's automatic though.

alwaysbsharp Tue 22-Aug-17 21:12:00

The La Grand Classique is not automatic. There are a few in that family that are, but mainly gents ones. The thin design does not really lend itself to an automatic movement! The flagship, elegant, conquest classic and master families have automatic ladies watches though. I particularly like the master collection with the black diamond dot dial. I have a diamond bezel conquest which unfortunately is not automatic but I love it!

alwaysbsharp Tue 22-Aug-17 21:14:36

Automatic means that there are no batteries and the watch is powered by an oscillating weight which moves when you move your wrist, which in turn winds up the inside of the watch. Solar powered (like citizen eco drives) have a battery inside them which is charged by light through the dial.

BoobleMcB Tue 22-Aug-17 21:15:02

An automatic means you have to wear it to keep it ticking. The movement of your wrist winds it essentially. You can get cradles for them that move and keep it wound though

UninspiringUserName Tue 22-Aug-17 21:15:04

Mine isn't an automatic, but it is a Longines, the Dolce Vita. I'm not particularly wowed by watches, my husband is the watch fiend, but this makes me happy every day. I adore it.

Fozzleyplum Wed 23-Aug-17 07:23:21

I have a Longines Evidenza automatic, which I love. Be aware that automatics are often not quite as accurate as other types of watches. Mine loses a minute or so over the course of a few months, but I can live with that.

JohnCheese Wed 23-Aug-17 09:10:12

I have one. It does lose time. And don't forget it needs to be serviced every few years. I did love mine but I'm a little annoyed with it because it is not keeping time. So right now it's 3.10 and the date is the 12th. I still wear it every day so I do love it. I will get it serviced when I get a chance to drop it in. Servicing can be costly.

Fozzleyplum Wed 23-Aug-17 10:13:17

I get mine serviced through a local jeweller. It isn't expensive (about £50 iirc). I've had one new leather strap, which cost about £50 as it was an ostrich one. The jeweller fitted the Longines clasp onto the strap. It would have cost a lot more if I'd sent it off to Longines.

JohnCheese Wed 23-Aug-17 10:58:47

That's v cheap. Last time I serviced mine it cost around £300. Not that long ago. I am well pissed off it's not working. It didn't fall, didn't get wet etc - I am very nice to my jewellery. And it's not even 10 years old.
Apols OP, rant over. I do love it. (When it's working)

mowglik Wed 23-Aug-17 11:00:09

I have a prima luna and it's gorgeous, feels solid and goes with everything. Only bug is the battery keeps running out (had it 5 years and have had to chance three times). So on that basis I would recommend automatic especially if you intend to wear it often.

No specific recommendation though, I love most of the longines ranges they look classic and not faddy

rubybleu Wed 23-Aug-17 11:05:22

I have a Longines Flagship. It's a very nice watch, but the automatic movement doesn't keep the best time (losing 5 mins or so every few days).

01forLondon Wed 23-Aug-17 12:37:31

Oops I'd missed the automatic bit sorry, mine isn't. But I think their designs are generally very nice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: