Talk

Advanced search

Hair dye - henna? Natural?

(11 Posts)
Sarahsue1 Mon 21-Aug-17 00:41:11

Permanent and semi-permanent hair dye ruins my hair (lots of hair but very very fine) - has anyone had luck with something more natural or herbal, henna type thing? I need a cool toned black for my hair so am reluctant to try henna incase it looks red

Amee1992x Mon 21-Aug-17 00:49:08

Not sure about henna dye but I use la directions semi permanent dye.

bluebunny Mon 21-Aug-17 00:54:59

I use henna from 'The henna guys' buy online. They have a really good range of colours and it's the best henna I've ever used. People are always complimenting my hair! Also I bought a black turban towel to use when the henna is on and it's really good at keeping it all in place as the only downside is it's messy.

Sarahsue1 Mon 21-Aug-17 00:56:35

Thanks @amee don't think they have my colour. @bluebunny which colour do you use? X

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 21-Aug-17 00:57:04

I used to use henna and indigo to get a natural looking ashy black but it was a lot of faff. Some people have had success with a one step process (applying both the henna and indigo together) but I couldn't get it to work so did the henna first then the indigo separately. The results were lovely but I just couldn't be bothered with the upkeep.

True semi-permanent dyes (like Manic Panic, Special Effects, Adore, etc.) might be an option but they don't always stick very well to unbleached hair, it depends what your natural colour is and how porous your hair is.

Sarahsue1 Mon 21-Aug-17 00:57:57

Ps I ask that because I wonder if some of the hennas have a warmth or red / copper tone to them. I am prone to a very red face (rosacea problems) so Always conscious of having cool tone dye

Sarahsue1 Mon 21-Aug-17 00:59:57

@cornflake my natural colour is dark brown just prefer it a bit darker. Haven't tried the indigo and henna yet - will look into it thank you. Also tried the other semi permanents and they don't really 'stick' to my hair that well - tend to be gone after a few washes aaaaargh

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 21-Aug-17 01:02:58

I use Lush henna- it's so easy.
I go for Marron, a reddish-brown, but there are other shades.
Check out videos on Youtube or pop into a store for a sample and a chat.

bluebunny Tue 22-Aug-17 12:46:30

Sorry for delay..! I've used a lot of the red colours in my dark brown hair and really like the colours especially as they catch the sunlight. They also do browns/blacks tho which are indigo based. Here's a link. m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2056088.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC1.A0.H0.Xthe+henna+g.TRS0&_nkw=the+henna+guys. I have long hair and a packet goes a long way as once you've done your whole head of hair you can just do roots.

Sarahsue1 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:09:03

Perfect thank you! X

Auldspinster Wed 23-Aug-17 11:19:01

I use body art quality henna and it looks lovely, even if i do say so myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now