Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

My husband likes shiny faces...help?!

(85 Posts)
Polkadot1974 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:37:15

So I'm in France and buying up most of the shelves of products (no clothes, too fat) and dh muses that "I've seen a couple of women like school mum x that look kind of shiny but glowing, they look lovely". Any ideas how I achieve the dewy look? I'm currently greasy and haggard all at once! Highlighter? Blusher? No powder? Posh genes? School mum is minted...

VeganCow Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:07

I would guess he means highlighter. Mineral powder as a foundation, and a bit of bronzer on cheekbones, and highlighter just above that, would look nice.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 20-Aug-17 22:19:37

Yes, highlighter, or a glowy primer.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 20-Aug-17 22:24:01

Buy an Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette and apply liberally all over your face.

BumWad Sun 20-Aug-17 22:25:37

Highlighter for sure.

Benefit dandelion powder?

Stuckinstressville Sun 20-Aug-17 22:28:08

Don't use mattifying products.
Use old fashioned papers things to blot if needed. Water- drink lots, double cleanse , no foaming washes- oil plus lotion cleanse - see the fantastic skincare threads! Acid tone, oils and serums if time.

And keep him! This is easier to maintain than perfect makeup! Funny what some people notice ! This is how skin is meant to be.

See also Caroline hirons - blogger - she is 48 and loves a shine.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 20-Aug-17 22:36:31

paper I love Hourglass powder so very much. The blushers are also great - I have Diffused Heat and Luminous Flush. Guerlain Meteorites is another good shout, although can look glittery if too heavily applied.

Logans Sun 20-Aug-17 22:44:57

Hourglass if you have £75 to blow or Nars cream sticks (forget the exact name) for £30.

Mac Lightscapade £25 for evenings if you want a more "bling" look.

Or the Korean cosmetics if you really do want a very dewey look.

Ohyesiam Sun 20-Aug-17 23:04:25

Or just be your beautiful self, and let him love you as you are.
Or accidentally stub your toes on his shin and tell him not to make personal remarks.
Or tell him you feel compared, and that comparison is the thief of joy.
Or give him a list of things about himself that he needs to change.

Sorry to sound like a curmudgeon, but it does make you sound like you're his living doll.

Logans Sun 20-Aug-17 23:11:44

^ and use a slightly shimmery blusher instead of a matte one.

Good tip to avoid looking greasy - use a matte finish moisturiser and a great primer, then use a glowing foundation on top.

MrsQuim Sun 20-Aug-17 23:14:25

I mix high beam with my moisturiser

SerfTerf Sun 20-Aug-17 23:15:30

My DH likes Marilyn Monroe. I'm damn well not going to go into a flap of peroxide and start a "HELP!" thread about it.

Fruitboxjury Sun 20-Aug-17 23:24:11

Exercise and a good facial

Heebejeebees Sun 20-Aug-17 23:35:16

Exercise definitely makes me glowy! Half hour run... Awesome face ;)

sonlypuppyfat Sun 20-Aug-17 23:37:19

He'd love me, menapausal sweating, I've never been so shiny

squoosh Sun 20-Aug-17 23:48:32

'Sorry to sound like a curmudgeon, but it does make you sound like you're his living doll'

It sounds as though he's with the OP when she's buying the French beauty products and makes a throwaway comment about a look he likes. I don't see it as though the OP is meant to be his 'living doll'!

PickAChew Sun 20-Aug-17 23:52:44

Tell him to knock himself out and make his own face shiny if he likes the look that much.

LEMtheoriginal Sun 20-Aug-17 23:56:44

So your dh tells you how he'd like you to look like what sounds like an over made-up woman from the school gates and people are actually giving you make up advice hmm

Belindaboom Sun 20-Aug-17 23:56:56

Go to Sephora, but the Becca mini pack of highlighter and perfecter for 19€ or the slightly bigger tube of perfector for 16€. It's amazing.

Belindaboom Sun 20-Aug-17 23:57:26

Oooh or their cushion highlighter, its got 15% off just now

Belindaboom Sun 20-Aug-17 23:59:54

LEM - it's in style and beauty and the OP has asked a question. Hoiking up those judgy pants much?

LEMtheoriginal Mon 21-Aug-17 00:07:15

Wedged right up the crack of my arse

TealStar Mon 21-Aug-17 00:09:20

This www.beautybay.com//skincare/mariobadescu/facialspraywithaloeherbsandrosewater/facialspraywithaloeherbsandrosewater?utm_source=google%2Bshopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping%2Bfeed&selectedSku=MABA0147F&ctyid=gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MbI-Pbm1QIVabvtCh0wogo2EAQYAiABEgLF_fD_BwE is your friend.

Go easy on it though or you will look too dewy.

You can thank me later grin

Heebejeebees Mon 21-Aug-17 00:10:17

LEM - relationships are about lots of things including sexual attraction, pleasing and giving. It's not a big deal to be open surely?

SerfTerf Mon 21-Aug-17 00:10:28

LEM has a point.

S&B should be about pleasing yourself, shouldn't it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: