Talk

Advanced search

anyone fancy a challenge

(9 Posts)
Chipsandonionrings Thu 17-Aug-17 20:43:00

can you stylish lot help? I have £120 to spend - so looking low budget!

I HATE all my clothes, nothing fits, everything is old and worn.

I am a good size 16-18 but VERY slowly losing weight ( down from a 20-22). I am 5ft 5, big boobs, arse, tummy, thighs - sigh.

I need a few bits to tide me over as I am losing weight. I am a sahm so no glitzy occasions and everything needs to be easy to wash and wear.

I suit browns, blues and creams. I know nothing about fashion and trends, I just want to look less shit and have one or two outfits that at least make me look presentable. I could stump up a bit more cash but don't want to spend a lot as hopefully will be slimmer soon. looking awful is really starting to affect my mental health.

I have just had my hair cut and coloured. had my brows done and am stocked up with a bit of fake tan as I am deathly pale. even my husband who doesn't care what I look like and loves me regardless said it's time for new clothes.

so any links or outfit suggestions gratefully received. tia.

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 18-Aug-17 02:09:07

I'd start with new jeans. A couple of pairs of jeans, few nice tshirts, a cardigan - get them in neutral colours (you might struggle to buy brown at the moment but there's lots of blue and cream about). If you stick to 2-3 colours everything should go together.

Also buy a couple of pairs of decent leggings to wear under longer tops/tunics

Try Sainsbury's- I love their clothes and they have 25% off at the moment (until Monday).
Their jeans are surprisingly good (lots of different styles). Otherwise there's sales on at most places, including cheaper places like matalan (if you can get past all the polyester).

Have a look at Pinterest to see if you can get an idea of the types of outfits you might like (I just typed "casual outfit" and loads came up).

Good luck - if I lived near you I'd come along and be your personal shopper - I'm good at spending other people's money wink

Cring Fri 18-Aug-17 03:25:21

With £120 I would aim to get:

1 pair of flattering jeans £40
1 well fitting bra £20
2 smartish daytime tops you love £30 each

If you try to eek out the budget further you may end up with a pile of polyester rubbish you hate.

If you invest in these items you can buy good quality things that you'll feel great in and they'll look fresh and smart. Have you looked in any shops in particular? I'm an insomniac so will have a Google now.

Cring Fri 18-Aug-17 03:32:09

This pale blue shirt is feminine, flattering and made from natural fibres (M&S)

You can get very good plus size denim leggings (look exactly like jeans but a more comfortable waistband) that are £25- black ones are good- that you could wear around the house.

Chipsandonionrings Fri 18-Aug-17 06:09:16

thanks guys. I have bought many a thing from sainsburys, I like their clothes and I didn't realise they had a sale on so will def pop over to the next town for a look. I used to buy my jeans from tu.

feeling a bit more positive today and might brave town with the kids - eek.

the m&s leggings are worth a try on, never had any leggings before. thanks cring - I was thinking it might be better to buy 3 or 4 good items so that's a good list.

Oddbutnotodd Fri 18-Aug-17 06:15:20

Second Sainsbury's for jeans. Don't buy anything black unless it suits you. Dark blue or even vintage wash is often more flattering. Also look in charity shops as well. You never know what you might find there.

Chipsandonionrings Fri 18-Aug-17 06:45:03

just been on tu website and have bought a pair of leggings, a khaki jumper and ordered 2 new bras to try on. so that's £60 gone if it all fits. they had some nice jeans but our if stock in my size so will head to the store today.

need new uniform for the kids so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. our local one has a cafe so might be able to bribe the kids with the prospect of cake for good behaviour. I hate shopping and even more so with my small kids argh!

Fletcherl Fri 18-Aug-17 07:07:51

It can be a good idea to buy things at once from one place and I do recommend Sainsbury. Then the things can mix and match. 2 pairs of jeans, 4 tops, a jumper, leggings and a tunic sounds realistic. How about a bag and scarf too.

Chipsandonionrings Fri 18-Aug-17 07:29:18

thanks Fletcher- I have a few nice bags, shoes and scarves as they come in 1 size so when I couldn't face buying something in a size 22 I would use birthday money for something like that.I have a couple of nice coats. this evening I am digging out my nice bits and having a brutal rummage through my wardrobe chucking out any bits that are past it.

hoping the jeans I saw online are in the store. they had some nice indigo and black ones but I need them in short as I have well short legs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now