Talk

Advanced search

What are Mumsnetters buying this week? Find out with our weekly Swears By email

Thanks! You're now subscribed to Mumsnet Swears By

Please enter a valid email address

Is there such a thing as a cool/stylish waterproof jacket?!

(187 Posts)
runner2 Mon 24-Jul-17 15:23:10

Going on holiday and need a lightweight waterproof but I cringe at the thought of an anorak/cagoule-type jacket. I bought a North Face jacket a few years ago that was quite expensive but it's a bit on the heavy side and it's red, which was a mistake...should have gone for black. So I've hardly worn it. Any suggestions, please? smile

Itsnothingoriginal Mon 24-Jul-17 19:38:14

I have a Joules Coast jacket and would totally recommend. It's completely waterproof and light and I get so many positive comments about it as they are lovely colours!

SesameSparkle Mon 24-Jul-17 20:28:50

I have a north face, a seasalt and a joules. They are all waterproof, but none are stylish. The north face is the lightest and will pack into the smallest space. The joules is 'fun', but that doesn't mean I love it either. I do however love being dry and not having to carry a brolly.

Lotsofsausage Mon 24-Jul-17 22:12:11

look at the brand 'rains' on ASOS they are really stylish ((http://www.asos.com/rains/rains-waterproof-jacket/prd/7692004?clr=black&SearchQuery=rains+jacket&pgesize=34&pge=0&totalstyles=34&gridsize=4&gridrow=7&gridcolumn=3))

hellotoyellow Mon 24-Jul-17 22:14:50

This! www.protected-species.com/shop/

I wore mine in the pouring Scottish rain last week - literally was sopping wet except where it covered where I was bone dry. And so stylish. In love with it.

mrsroboto Mon 24-Jul-17 22:16:37

How lightweight are the Joules Coast jackets? I got a Boden mac thing which is fine, looks nice, but is quite stiff and heavy so was going to begrudgingly get a North Face anorak or similar!

StarCrossdSkys Mon 24-Jul-17 22:18:42

Patagonia ones are very cool in a sporty way but also way more than £45.

I would buy an outdoors brand because then it will then actually be waterproof and breathable and you will just look like a person who wants to keep dry rather somebody who is failing at looking stylish.

Kimber2 Mon 24-Jul-17 22:35:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lynmilne65 Tue 25-Jul-17 07:20:30

I got mine from Cotton Traders, it's very light.

BoudicasBoudoir Tue 25-Jul-17 09:41:20

These ones: stutterheim.com/uk

Crispsheets Tue 25-Jul-17 09:46:19

I got a pale grey one in Uniqlo which is shaped and fitted

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 25-Jul-17 11:52:52

I bought a long Seasalt coat in black - not jacket - in the JL sale when it started. It's more of a parka thing, and like floisme I don't love it, but I have a 30 minute walk to and from work and live in Scotland. I also have a bright yellow sou'wester jacket from Warehouse which is waterproof and v cheering.

LittleWitch Tue 25-Jul-17 11:58:12

you won't get proper waterproof for £45. Water-resistant, water-repellent, showerproof, maybe. Properly waterproof -not at that price.

Agoddessonamountaintop Tue 25-Jul-17 21:52:13

I also have a Warehouse sou'wester-style, mine's navy with white trim. Haven't tried it yet. I also got a Fatface one, which I'm afraid does rather make me look like I'm trying and failing to look stylish, and didn't really keep me dry in the recent downpours.

bingohandjob Tue 25-Jul-17 22:01:12

Been eyeing up the Protected Species mac for several months but couldn't justify it but it's half price at the moment so now....It's on its way. grin

sandyposy Tue 25-Jul-17 23:56:29

Lighthouse have some quite stylish ones

Floisme Wed 26-Jul-17 07:36:19

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no no no no no. I clicked on that Protected Species link and I may have just seen the coat I've been looking for all my life:
A waterproof mac that has shape and a hood. Can this be true? Half price as well.
I even like the red and I hate raincoats in cheery colours.

Please tell me it's not warm too?

As I said upthread, I called off the search a few months ago and bought a Seasalt in the sales. So now I am trapped in a loveless marriage.

YogiYoni Wed 26-Jul-17 07:52:28

@hellotoyellow
I don't know whether to kiss you or try to get you banned. That mac is gorgeous. I need one don't I?

namechangedforthisreply Wed 26-Jul-17 08:11:51

Following

Floisme Wed 26-Jul-17 08:15:22

I've just ordered it shock It's nearly pay day and I had to see it if nothing else. Hopefully it won't be right and I can settle back down with my Seasalt.

Damn you Style and Beauty. Damn you to hell.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 26-Jul-17 08:51:18

I don't/can't blame you; I clicked on the parka and only the fact that it is out of stock has saved me. But I did leave an address so they could tell me when it comes back into stock. Please tell us what you think when it arrives!

boggedoff Wed 26-Jul-17 08:54:37

I have a lightweight one from uniqlo just basic but scrunched up small and looks good comes in loads of colours about £29 water just runs off it

Floisme Wed 26-Jul-17 08:59:03

I will smile

Agoddessonamountaintop Wed 26-Jul-17 10:13:10

I'm hovering over the paypal button as we speak shock. The two shorter coats I've only just bought are for high summer wear, aren't they? Whereas the PS one I can wear all through autumn and spring as well! Oh gawd!

turtlewoman Wed 26-Jul-17 10:27:25

I have this from New Look - really lovely and lightweight and I get loads compliments when I wear it - http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/pink-matte-anorak_527270972 comes in a few colours

PetalMettle Wed 26-Jul-17 10:40:35

@turtlewoman do you think that's smart enough for work/over a dress or will it look mad?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: