Talk

Advanced search

Running kit for a self conscious size 16

(10 Posts)
TheSconeOfStone Tue 11-Jul-17 17:21:34

I've decided to branch out from my weekly fitness class and start running at the grand old age of 43. I finally have my asthma under control and I'm not quite as self conscious as I was.

I look dreadful in tight exercise gear, and I have a thing about man made fibres (autistic traits). I find them hot and uncomfortable and prefer natural fibres.

Any ideas where I can get comfy, not too tight clothes for running and energetic dance fitness type classes? I don't live in a big city so it needs to be standard high street or on line.

Feeling enthusiastic and the only thing holding me back is lack of suitable clothing. Please help!

PatMustardsMoustache Tue 11-Jul-17 17:28:57

I tend to wear hareem pants when I'm having an off day.

They let the air circulate and are very forgiving smile

Top wise, a good bra and a cotton vest top are my staples.

PhyllisWig Tue 11-Jul-17 21:59:54

Whilst not natural fibres, I got some loose cropped running bottoms (kinda like cropped harems) from Decathlon. I know what you mean totally and they were hard to track down I can tell you.

SesameSparkle Tue 11-Jul-17 22:27:44

Try not to worry too much about 'proper gear'. I first started running in a pair of bog standard jogging bottoms from fat face and a t shirt. I bought a good pair of running shoes a couple of weeks in, but didn't buy my first 'outfit' untilI I'd already completed couch to 5k.

If it has to be cotton, then you're better off looking in the leisure wear section of a supermarket/sports shop/high st store, rather than all things specifically meant for gym/running. Running gear tends to be technical fabrics, which is often a sweat wicking type of polyester - it's comfier to wear when you sweat and doesn't feel the same as cooking in a polyester day dress in hot weather. So if you stick with it, you might feel like you'd like to try this at some point.

Only other tip is to try not to wear anything too flappy around your legs, as extra fabric can get in your way. If you're not confident enough for leggings, at least choose something with cuffs.

scotjls Tue 11-Jul-17 22:30:12

Tkmaxx usually have some nice loose, cotton, tie-waist cropped yoga trousers

taybert Tue 11-Jul-17 22:37:21

I'd second Sesame's advice not to entirely discount man made fabrics. They take sweat away from the skin and dry quickly so no cold, wet fabric against your skin- more comfy and reduces chafing.

taybert Tue 11-Jul-17 22:38:08

Also, well done for giving it a go!

TheSconeOfStone Wed 12-Jul-17 07:18:09

Many thanks for all the replies. I have tried some technical fabric leggings and top and I couldn't stand the feel of it on my skin (I'm weird, I know). I wore it to my exercise class where I get extremely hot and sweaty (I tend to go for it in class) and I just felt really hot and yuck with the tight material on me. They were supermarket brand so maybe I need to spend more.

I'll stick to my comfy stuff for now and not worry about how I look.

Lollyb86 Wed 12-Jul-17 07:22:14

I hate anything too tight and restricting around my middle due to my c section scar...so some days when I run i wear some Capri style jogging bottom style trousers from Primark that were less than £10 and wore very well considering. I'm a 16 too if that helps grin

Loopytiles Wed 12-Jul-17 07:23:19

As a PP says it doesn't have to be "proper" sportswear. It is hard to get natural fibre sportswear that doesn't cost a lot. Yoga brands might be worth a look, or perhaps get cotton (non sport) T shirts. The synthetic stuff is actually better for keeping cool IME.

The This Girl Can adverts, with ordinary-shaped women doing sports, are good inspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now