Talk

Advanced search

Eek! There's so much HAIR

(17 Posts)
BawHeid Thu 06-Jul-17 12:17:08

I feel like I missed out on some vital grooming lesson. Late 30s, few kids expelled, and my bikini line has migrated nearly to my knees. Not kidding. Pah, sod it, I'm generally not too bothered, and DH is so covered in hair that he couldn't give a toss.

But I'm off on holiday soon and it will involve swimwear. I need to remove it. I had an ill-fated run in with a bikini wax in my early 20s which left me so red raw and itchy and spotty that I've never done it again. I tend to shave, but again it leaves me spotty and doesn't last long. My skin is pale and probably pretty sensitive, sadly.

So - how do I get rid of my vag-beard? Any tips? I just want to trim it so it's contained rather than return myself to any weird pre-pubescent state....

Justhadmyhaircut Thu 06-Jul-17 12:18:24

Immac sensitive is good. . Hot flannel to get it off at the end!! Then some moisturiser!!

BawHeid Thu 06-Jul-17 12:21:07

Hmm. I have tried Immac before and it just didn't seem powerful enough to properly fell the forest.

Do I need to trim first, then Immac? blush

SheldonsSpot Thu 06-Jul-17 12:22:33

Bikini waxing has advanced a lot in the past 5 years - find a therapist that uses hot peelable wax, not strips, and you'll be fine.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 06-Jul-17 12:26:57

Shaving is the only thing that gives me immediate results and no pain.

You'd only need to run the razor over quickly every 2/3 days once the initial deforestation was complete.

BawHeid Thu 06-Jul-17 12:27:44

ooh sheldons that's good to know.

I feel like this is my dirty little secret (not knocking anyone who wants to stay au naturelle, of course, but I feel like my version of that is a bit out of control).

It's got worse since having kids. Why is that?!

RaspberryBeretHoopla Thu 06-Jul-17 12:28:13

Just get an electric bikini line trimmer - it shaves it right down to stubble(ish) so takes care of the long hairs and then I use some cream just on the immediate bikini sides so that you don't have to worry.

Some say that the bikini trimmer is enough if the hair ain't too thick outside of the bikini line.

Or get boy leg bikini bottoms.

BawHeid Thu 06-Jul-17 12:29:29

wandering I've done that in the past, but it still makes me spotty. Is there some kind of technique - like, does the razor always have to be a new one? Does it help to use a specific foam or gel?

I tend to blush use the same razor for a while and just arm myself with whatever soap/shower gel is to hand...

BawHeid Thu 06-Jul-17 12:31:26

BOY LEG BOTTOMS. Now that's a revelation. How far down to they go?!
Maybe just a wet suit.

RaspberryBeretHoopla Thu 06-Jul-17 12:32:56

m.asos.com/asos/asos-mix-and-match-boy-short-bikini-bottom-with-eyelets/prd/7118450?affid=14179&channelref=product%20search&mk=abc¤cyid=1&ppcadref=761030380%7C39786596763%7Caud-108719242581:pla-298196931331&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6L9_hDFcoWaKaOmnAlE6ly_gtXQngEblM2ZwXssq_ZsaAu8k8P8HAQ

You can get them longer than this.

Board shorts are also cool right now

RaspberryBeretHoopla Thu 06-Jul-17 12:35:01

Last time we were on the beach I saw a lot of women wearing board shorts to swim in.

JaneBanks Thu 06-Jul-17 12:42:22

Buy the Philips Lumea laser remover or a similar home IPL machine - pricey but a game changer! I was hairy and it's such a relief never having to think about it beyond monthly zaps. I hated the hair removal/growing/ ingrown hair cycle. I also like swimming and hated having to a plan around hair removal.

I'm currently 9 months pregnant at the moment and haven't been able to use it, but the hair has grown back sparse and soft, don't get any ingrowns.

TheLegendOfBeans Thu 06-Jul-17 12:46:33

BawHeid (I love your name) - mine has speed since having kids too but please do trim before waxing.

I used to use the Wilkinson Sword razor that had the bush trimmer on the end. But I've not seen it or my public thatch, I'm pregnant for ages.

Do they still do them?

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Thu 06-Jul-17 13:02:46

I have pale sensitive skin and hair you could make Brillo pads out of. I use a men's Mach3 razor and Tesco's own sensitive shave gel. My bikini line is then acceptable for the best part of 24 hours.

DancesWithOtters Thu 06-Jul-17 13:04:28

vag-beard grin

BusterGonad Thu 06-Jul-17 19:30:21

Apparently strippers and the like swear by baby oil as a shaving aid instead of shaving gel/foam for the vag area.

carrie74 Thu 06-Jul-17 20:32:08

I used to wax (good salon, hot wax, not too painful with good technique), but hated having to wait for regrowth. Shaving always left me itchy. I invested in a home IPL machine as recommended above, and it was the best thing ever. I barely think about any body hair now. Bought it about 3 or 4 years ago, used it intensively (as recommended by the manufacturer) for 3 months, now haven't used it for about a year, and all hair has all but given up the ghost. In summer I might run a razor over the odd hair here and there once a week (max), but I don't think many others would notice what's there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now