Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

EPILATOR HURTS SO BAD!

(21 Posts)
Islacornx Wed 05-Jul-17 17:34:48

Okay so after reading so many good reviews of them on here I decided to get one, I got the Braun silk epil 5 as I didn't want to go too expensive in case I really didn't get on with it. Turns out I was correct shock how an earth do people cope with the pain?!

I bought it for my bikini area primarily as razors always bring me out in a hideous rash. I knew there was a little pain to be expected with it but not this much sad I really want to try and use it though as I read that the pain was supposed to lessen after each use?
So does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the pain or how to just psych myself up to get on with it? grin

Squishedstrawberry4 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:36:06

Is it your period!

NomDePlumeReloaded Wed 05-Jul-17 17:39:49

I hate my bloody epilator (a Braun silkepil one). So painful and punchy, even if I stretch the skin. Evil bastard. Used twice and then thrown in the cuboard to gather dust. I now wet shave using a men's razor (Mach3) and use the Philips Lumea to minimise growth. It stings but it is ten times better than the toothy tyranny of the epilator.

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Jul-17 17:41:12

The bikini area hurts most. Legs and underarms I don't even feel any more, but I've been epilating for years and most of my hairs have given up & don't bother growing back.

To take the edge of the pain, take a couple of paracetamol an hour before you do it and maybe have a glass of wine too grin

Trim the bikini hairs first so they are short, then when you epilate hold the skin taut as you would for waxing.

You do get used to it - eventually!

And yes, if you are on or near your period it does hurt more.

NomDePlumeReloaded Wed 05-Jul-17 17:41:45

You could try taking 2 ibuprofen (or paracetamol) half an hour before you epilate, to take the edge off the pain.

You could try taking a warm bath before to open the follicles a bit and soften the skin.

squoosh Wed 05-Jul-17 17:43:57

Anyone who can epilate their fanny region must be hard as nailz!

squoosh Wed 05-Jul-17 17:44:37

I bet those people also pluck nose hairs away without so much as an eye water!

MissBax Wed 05-Jul-17 17:45:49

Ahhh its because you're doing your bikini line!!! I use mine for arms, thighs and abdomen and it's great, but always shave bikini line (had a wax once and never again!)

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Jul-17 17:52:02

Yep squoosh hard as nailz, me grin

But no, plucking nose hairs is still agony. Even the thought of it makes me wince.

MeadowHay Wed 05-Jul-17 17:52:23

The first time I tried to epilate my underarms it was so horrifically painful that I had to get DH to do it for me whilst I literally sobbed in pain. One of the most painful experiences of my life so far (how I will ever cope with childbirth I have no idea!). Since that first time it's been painless to do my arm pits, as long as I don't leave them too long. I also found doing my calves very painful to start with (not quite crying painful though lol) but just persevered and it was worth it, now it's just uncomfortable as long as I don't leave the hairs to be too long. It gets too painful on my knees though so am yet to do knees and up, I just do my underarms and calves which is great for my skin because I get horrible eczema from shaving. There is no way in hell I would go anywhere near my pubic hair with it though!!

MavisFlumpTheFairy Wed 05-Jul-17 17:53:27

I use mine for legs and upper lip which is a bit ouchy sometimes, definitely not brave enough for armpits or bikini line.

Crochetthedayaway Wed 05-Jul-17 17:54:14

I tried a small leg patch once and had to recycle the damm thing, I can't put myself through that much pain without having something more exciting than a smooth leg at the end of it!

MissBax Wed 05-Jul-17 18:18:32

@Mavis - wax upper lip! It's literally half a second and it's done

Islacornx Wed 05-Jul-17 19:49:59

No not my period! It's probably because I'm trying the bikini area without testing it out on anywhere else first 😂 I'll try other areas tomorrow first and take an ibuprofen and try the bikini area too..

Tubbyinthehottub Wed 05-Jul-17 20:06:43

Send it back and get a Lumea instead

LemonBreeland Wed 05-Jul-17 20:09:04

Epilators are evil. I second getting a lumea. I just got one around a month ago. It is great.

FunSpunge Wed 05-Jul-17 20:21:19

I used to epilate my whole fanjita but it was so painful I had to do it in 10 seconds bursts! It was so red and sore that eventually it was numb with pain confused good results but not worth the pain!

Which lumea would you recommend? I would like to use one for underarms, legs (if my hair dark enough) and a was hoping to be able to have a bit of a tidy up "down there" but have read it's not meant for anything other than bikini line, don't know why though

NomDePlumeReloaded Wed 05-Jul-17 20:40:52

You can use the lumea anywhere with the 'right' skin/hair contrast. Though keep it below nose for facial use (no trying to tame monobrows with it).

Tubbyinthehottub Wed 05-Jul-17 21:20:42

Any Lumea will do! One with lots of bulb flashes and if you don't need a small head for face don't bother paying for it!

BusterGonad Thu 06-Jul-17 19:49:45

I've bought two in my life time, each time expecting myself to be able to handle the pain! Nope. Both given away to friends. I'd rather be a stubbly hairy mammoth then go through that hell again!

Rainbowglow Thu 06-Jul-17 20:31:20

I suffer from awful ingrown hairs when I use my epilator. I prefer wax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now