Talk

Advanced search

Can't believe I'm asking this but ... fungal toenails

(7 Posts)
Sweetpotato23 Tue 04-Jul-17 22:30:52

Have even name-changed for this one! Will a beautician do a Shellac or Gel polish if you have a toenail or two with a fungal infection? blush

LadyLapsang Tue 04-Jul-17 23:42:40

I imagine some will and some won't be willing to give a pedicure / ordinary polish, but I don't think shellac or gel would do them any good. Last year I went to a beautician while I was having laser treatment to get rid of the fungal nails and she painted them with normal polish. This year - reocurrance - chiropodist said to leave them natural although I believe Margaret Dabbs has some special breathable polish.

RNBrie Tue 04-Jul-17 23:44:19

I have one fungal toe nail and have had plenty of pedicures. No one has ever even mentioned it.

Whathaveilost Tue 04-Jul-17 23:48:36

Yes!
I go to a chiropodist every 6-8 weeks who is flippin marvellous.
I have a 1.5 to 2 hour point entirely and she works some kind of magic on my feet and nails, including the work in progress re my toe nail infection followed by a pedicure. I can have a choice between a regular one or the shellac gel.
I have to say I have been super impressed with it. ( opt for a glitter top coat, they look fab!)

SilentlyScreamingAgain Wed 05-Jul-17 08:14:17

You'll be able to fine one who will but it will be one with compromised hygiene standards. If she put that pot of gel back on the shelf after it's been used to cover your infection you need to think very hard about the last person it was used on and if you're likely to catch something worse.

DisorderedAllsorts Wed 05-Jul-17 09:13:53

Treat the infection first, go and see a chiropodist who will treat it.

I've been soaking my feet in a bowl of hot water with 2 baby sterilising tablets dissolved in it on recommendation from here. I've just started and may need some time as I've got quite an established infection.

Sweetpotato23 Wed 05-Jul-17 09:40:29

Thanks all. Will see if I can get them varnished ... it's just to cover them for holiday and will try a treatment afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now