Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to work (receptionist)?

(11 Posts)
PengiQuin Sat 01-Jul-17 22:16:07

I start a new receptionist job on Monday. I've only ever worked in care/ nursery, so very casual.

I have one pair of smart black trousers, a pair of black ballet flats and a white blouse that I think will be acceptable. But that's it, and I'm panicking blush

I'm 24, size 12/14 with a fairly big belly. Finding it hard to find blouses online which would look smart not tucked in (wouldn't really want to tuck them in due to said belly, and sitting down in the trousers emphasises it if tucked in).

Doesn't help that topshop etc. workwear section is very.. out there hmm

What sorts of things should I be looking for? Not got a massive budget. Probably only £150 max, could buy a few more bits with my first pay cheque.

Am I best going to town and trying things on tomorrow? I have my first day's outfit sorted, and I won't be back until Thursday.

Also, any other tips? My hair ranges from dark to light purple, it's nice but not very smart so just dyed over it with a brown. This didn't really work and just toned it down a little. Will dye again tomorrow. Am I ok to wear my hair down? Thinking just minimal make up - foundation and a little mascara and eyebrow powder. Will paint nails and things.

Am I on the right track? Want to make a good impression.

Earlybird Sat 01-Jul-17 22:22:56

Congratulations on the job.

Is it a formal or casual company?
Have you had a chance to see how the other members of staff dress?
What did you wear to the interview?
Maybe ask your boss what sort of thing they'd like, because after all, you are the first impression people have when they walk in the door.

The black trousers and ballet flats are a good start.

DisorderedAllsorts Sat 01-Jul-17 22:32:16

Congratulations! Have you had a look at Uniqlo? It's fairly inexpensive, uses natural fabrics and has lots of smart and casual separates. Their new Hana Tajima range has a few tops with strategic folds over the belly. That should take attention away from your sensitive areas.

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-hana-tajima-cache-coeur-long-sleeve-blouse-401111.html

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 01-Jul-17 22:36:46

Congrats on your new job! The receptionists at my work wear things like tailored trousers with smart top/cardi, or skirt/blouse. What would be classed as typical office wear in most places. I would get the lie of the land before you buy lots of things.

fiorentina Sun 02-Jul-17 12:10:48

Tailored trousers and smart blouse or too would be fine in my city based office. Comfortable but smart shoes. Our receptionists also wear smart black dresses.

MrsMotherHen Sun 02-Jul-17 12:29:33

honestly try everything £5 I will link the site the stuff on there is great I regularly buy from there and alot of it is good labels like new look river Island topshop I have had alot of asos the shoestate and bags are good too.
You sometimes have to have a good poke around the site but it's well worth it.

www.everything5pounds.com

PengiQuin Mon 03-Jul-17 20:34:54

Thanks everyone. It's for a GP surgery. Had my first day today, loved it. Although my shoes gave me horrendous blisters blush

Will have a look at the websites suggested. Everyone in blouses or smartish tops with black trousers and flats, so will go with that sort of thing.

Soooo happy to finally have a lovely job! And my DDs new nursery bill just came in and was £350 less than expected so have a little more to play with 😬 thanks again!

NC4now Mon 03-Jul-17 22:36:07

Congrats on the job! Glad your first day went well. I'd go for pencil skirts and dresses with cardies and nice tops.
I like to wear full make up for work. Not too clubby, no false lashes etc but foundation, blusher, eyeshadow, mascara and lippy.
You'll soon find your style smile

BubblesBuddy Mon 03-Jul-17 22:47:17

I think in a GP surgery you need to look friendly and capable at the same time. I think a dress or two always make the wearer look presentable. Definitely well cut trousers and a shirt or top. I think there is something in most high street shops. Zara are reliable or M and S.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 04-Jul-17 07:15:43

Jersey wrap dresses are your friend - www.jdclondon.com

Inneedofadvice20172234 Tue 04-Jul-17 07:17:44

Look at h and m as they have some cheap work wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now