Talk

Advanced search

Shellac - nails still wrecked 2 months later?

(37 Posts)
LosingItThisYear Sat 01-Jul-17 13:41:45

Hello,

I had 'proper' shellac done a couple of months ago - first time I'd had this type of manicure. Ten days after I had it removed, again at a salon.

I was a bit shocked at the time at how dry and awful my nails looked when the polish was off, and have been using OPI nail envy to try and recover them. Two months on, my nails still look dry, are splitting, and look like they've had the surface taken off them.

Is this typical? What can I do to get my nails back? This is really putting me off having shellac again - how do people do it regularly without damaging their nails?

Thanks!

jollyhockey Sat 01-Jul-17 13:43:56

I've had Shellac done twice and had exactly this. It has taken my nails around 5 months to recover each time. I seem to remember that rubbing almond oil into them can help.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 01-Jul-17 13:46:45

Sounds like they weren't removed well. Some techs are impatient. Don't soak long enough so it has to be scraped which then thins the nail.
Was it definitely CND shellac?
Use a cuticle oil. Ibex treatment would help too.

BrainSaysNo Sat 01-Jul-17 13:52:48

I have never had a problem, maybe use a oil morning and night also.

Paffle Sat 01-Jul-17 13:54:04

This has happened to me twice. Took months so sort out.

Dailystuck71 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:41:23

Have you been using a nail oil twice a day while they were on?

ZenNudist Sat 01-Jul-17 14:49:38

Some people seem to be able to wear gel nails and not totally trash their nails (though usually i dont believe them entirely as most have it non stop).

I've tried it and people blame the removal process or the products used but without fail the only thing that fixed my nails after shellac is time. 5 months for my nails to grow back completely them they stop flaking or splitting or breaking.

I keep away from it now. It's a shame because it's nice and hardwearing but I like to be able to have the choice of natural nails.

bananafish81 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:51:42

Were your nails harshly buffed beforehand?

How did they remove the polish? Was it with foils / wraps or did they soak your fingers on acetone?

Were any of the other techs wearing masks or using drills for any other nail work they were doing?

These would all ring alarm bells for me.

Have you been applying nail oil?

Sorry you're still suffering

Rainbowglow Sat 01-Jul-17 17:13:44

My nails took weeks to recover from Shellac. Dry. Paper thin. I used lots of oil and took biotin supplements

MassDebate Sat 01-Jul-17 17:18:55

This happens to me too. I stick with normal non-gel polish now. I have really healthy nails usually but shellac/gelish just destroys them despite proper application/removal at a reputable beautician.

carrie74 Sat 01-Jul-17 17:32:11

My nails suffered after several shellacs back to back, but CND Rescue RX improved them really quickly. Definitely much better than OPI Nail Envy, which I never found helped after gel manicures.

But after only one application that's quite a bad reaction, such a shame.

Lordamighty Sat 01-Jul-17 17:38:42

Yes same here, had to grow the weakened nail out.

KimchiLaLa Sat 01-Jul-17 18:38:40

Did the nail tech use a drill or similar to
Take it off? As that has probably taken a layer off your nails. They should wrap in foil and slowly remove.

jeaux90 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:27:18

Some people (like me) are allergic to the chemicals in shellac etc

Try and find the drops with vit c and glycol etc in and put them under your nail bed, on the nail and cuticles twice a day. Mine still took weeks to recover.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:20:37

You do need to use a nail oil while it's on, same as you'd need to use a good conditioner if you coloured your hair.

Shellac is no buff so applied, and more importantly removed properly doesn't damage nails.

No nail coating does. Nails are very fragile for an hour if soaked for more than 60 seconds. If you scrape them it will remove nail plate and you'll get damaged nails.

IBX is indeed fab but pro only as in its uncured state it can penetrate the skin and over time cause allergies.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:23:30

I'm really pleased so many of you know correct removal though. The more consumers know the better.

It roots out bad practice.

LosingItThisYear Sat 01-Jul-17 20:52:23

Hello, thanks for all the replies.

I went to a really good salon for both application and removal (different places, as was on holiday when I had it done). For removal, nails I had my nails wrapped, but there was quite a lot of scraping which I found alarming at the time - maybe that was the problem? No drills used, or masks worn by the technician.

I didn't use oil while I had shelllac on, but did run in a lot of handcream - is that not good enough? I'd been told oil afterwards, but not while I had the polish on. I did start using oil afterwards but it seemed to sink in with no effect and the surface of my nails was really bothering me. Nail envy at least let me ignore the state of my nails underneath...

Thanks again for the replies - I'll look into the suggestions above for oils and supplements. I was hoping to have shellac again for holidays, but don't think I can face it again. Is Rimmel 2 step gel polish easier on nails?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:59:17

Oil is for while it's on the nail too, did you have it done abroad?.

The scraping is the culprit here.

There's a move towards not removing anyone else's work but your own to avoid this as the market is literally flooded with fake shellac & if it's gel the removal is different.

I reported a company on Thursday for selling fake shellac.

LosingItThisYear Sat 01-Jul-17 21:03:42

I had it done and removed in the Uk. Removal was at a local place that all my friends rate - I told them it was proper CND shellac and I paid to have it removed (they remove their own shellac free of charge).

Maybe my nails just can't cope! I will try some of the supplements and oils suggested - thanks.

Liz38 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:15:01

It's always trashed mine. I have it done 2-3 times a year for holidays or special occasions and accept that there's a consequence. I rub coconut oil in at bedtime and i think that really helps with the recovery speed. It's worth it for me because even a professionally applied manicure won't last 24 hours unless it's shellac so if I want something to last more than a day then it's shellac.

DidgeDoolittle Sat 01-Jul-17 21:38:06

I am in exactly the same situation. I had shellac put on my nails for xmas. It was a glittery polish and an absolute sod to get off. I tried soaking, but had to go back to the salon.
The polish was just not budging with foils alone, so the technician helped it along with a scraper type thing.
Ever since then my nails have been appalling. They are dry, flakey and split all the time. I have tried opi nail envy, that did absolutely nothing. I am now applying oil morning, noon and night. I thought it was working until my thumb nail split this morning.
I'm beginning to think they have been ruined forever.

bunnybleu Sat 01-Jul-17 21:45:26

It ruins my nails too for a few months afterwards. I think I pretty much have to grow the nail out completely while rubbing in lots of oil, keeping the nail really short until they're strong again. It's a shame though as I love how practical and long lasting the shellac is!

Chewbecca Sat 01-Jul-17 21:50:58

Ruins my fingernails too despite going to a good quality salon who remove correctly. My toe nails are fine with it done in the same place with the same technique.

I honestly think it is too harsh for some weaker nails but people love to defend it and blame the technician rather than admit that some (many?) people's fingernails just don't get on with it.

Takes me about 5 months to grow out and fully recover.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Jul-17 22:37:34

Nail oil, if it's a good one like solar or Dadi is to make nails more resilient to trauma by reducing brittleness.

It won't thicken a damaged nail plate.

joangray38 Sun 02-Jul-17 03:19:25

My beauty therapist wouldn't do them on me - I have strong long nails, - in case it ruined them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now