Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help - work clothes needed...

(12 Posts)
user1471546359 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:03:45

So, I'm back to work after maternity leave in 2 months, my second baby in 2 years and I've managed to get a promotion for my return! So that's great but I haven't bought many work clothes for quite a while and wanted to buy some new things to help my feel confident returning to work in my new role. I had a plan, invested in a suit from the sale in Reiss, where I used to get trousers from as they fit me really well (despite costing £££!!). It's just arrived and looks awful. My body isn't quite back to normal but equally I can't imagine these trousers looking good even if my tummy was a bit firmer!
Any suggestions on where else I could look? I'm a size 10 and short (30 leg so normally end up getting trousers taken up).

user1471546359 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:08:46

Should have said - I don't actually wear suits to the office, more dress/trousers and top/skirt and top - but just thinking ahead to get a new suit as I haven't had a suit in ages and I do need one occasionally!!

DisorderedAllsorts Thu 29-Jun-17 19:20:17

Uniqlo is inexpensive, has lots of natural fabrics and smart separates suitable for work.

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/women/tops/dresses

WithCheesePlease Thu 29-Jun-17 19:24:06

I actually find H&M very good for work clothes (I don't wear a full suit either)- always getting compliments on shirt&skirt combos, dresses etc

user1471546359 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:53:06

Thanks! I've never bought anything from uniqlo before so will have a look. I have a couple of skirts from H&M actually (from years ago!!) so will have a look there too

Handbag101 Fri 30-Jun-17 07:44:10

Morning User.

Have you tried your local charity shops? I know it's not everyone's thing but most of my work outfits now come from there. I've had fabulous designer bargains and everyone always seems to comment. Saves me an absolute fortune as well. I work in a corporate environment so have to look relatively smart.

smile

BumbleNova Fri 30-Jun-17 10:46:41

banana republic do good basic suits and very good sales.

the fold are expensive but beautiful suits. I also rate J crew for good suits. although my top tip is find yourself a seamstress who can alter things to fit you.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:56:19

H&M do gorgeous trousers. Their blouses can be a bit oddly-shaped and sized at times but their blazers are fab, too.

user1471546359 Fri 30-Jun-17 11:33:09

Thanks all. I've never had anything from Banana Republic but can give them a try and will have a look at the other websites too!!

thedobester Fri 30-Jun-17 12:07:23

Next do really good trousers and come in short, regular and long. Love the fact you can order on-line, collect from local store and try on at home. If they don't fit, you can just take them back again!

Floisme Fri 30-Jun-17 13:00:02

Congratulation on getting a promotion - they must think highly of you!

I second H&M and Uniqlo and I also think M&S Autograph is good for workwear. Personally I wouldn't go for anything mega expensive while you're still adjusting to a post baby body. I'd save the investment buys for when you're either back to normal or you've worked out what suits you.

user1471546359 Fri 30-Jun-17 13:27:10

That's a good point about not buying anything too expensive right now - I'm hoping to lose a little bit more weight and tone up but no point buying super nice stuff until that's happened. I think I need to wait until the summer sales are over as most of the skirts etc are summery ones - need some nice boring autumn stock to come in!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: