Talk

Advanced search

these 'bardot tops' - off shoulder - can you wear a vest top under if busty?

(23 Posts)
girlwhowearsglasses Thu 29-Jun-17 14:51:49

like this

black vest top under? really ++ bust and not wearing bra not an option...

what are people doing with these in real life?

TheDropBear Thu 29-Jun-17 14:57:33

The wonderbra ultimate strapless is really good for bigger busts

Fairylea Thu 29-Jun-17 15:04:28

I'm of larger boobage and I just wouldn't wear a top like that to be honest. I think if you really wanted to you'd have to wear a strapless bra, but I find them so uncomfortable.

disastrouslee Thu 29-Jun-17 15:05:42

I'm a 34G and wouldn't wear thmlem I don't think. I have an excellent strapless bra but they still seem to sit lower than they should in it.

Ilovewillow Thu 29-Jun-17 15:05:49

I would wear a strapless bra or none but I have virtually no boobs! I saw this in their sale earlier - it's looks gorgeous!

polyhymnia Thu 29-Jun-17 15:09:32

Not sure there would be much point in that sort of top with a vest top under it.

ThinkFastNotSlow Thu 29-Jun-17 15:11:04

I don't see how a vest top would really help in terms of support. It would also defeat the whole off-shoulder-ness / exposed collar bone look of the top.

Wear with a strapless bra or not at all. FWIW I'm also very busty and much as I love the look, I can't carry off that look because I'm not that keen on my shoulders.

HelsinkiLights Thu 29-Jun-17 15:15:47

I do sometimes but always in a colour that is in the top. So yes if that is black in the top then yes I would or a navy vest top if it's actually navy.
Other times I wear a bra or a strapless bra or sometimes nothing underneath.

NotMeNoNo Thu 29-Jun-17 15:25:24

I'd just wear a plain black bra with the (heavy duty in my case) straps showing. Strapless bras creep downwards creating waist level boobs. Possibly this is why I only bought one bardot top.

MikeUniformMike Thu 29-Jun-17 15:43:48

The bardot tops don't really suit the busty. If you want to wear one, you can get sort of off the shoulder ones that also have straps - they are a bit cold shoulder and a bit bardot top. I saw someone wearing one today. It wasn't this one but this is strappy and quite nicehttps://www.quizclothing.co.uk/clothes/00100011614.html?gclid=CIKh44Wl49QCFeq87QodrMkLOA . I find strapless bras uncomfortable.

MikeUniformMike Thu 29-Jun-17 15:48:38

I had more success searching for bardot top with straps. lots of nice ones. I think I might be tempted.
Still too busty for the matelot look so no Breton top for me. :-(

BlackPeppercorn Thu 29-Jun-17 16:14:23

I think they look lovely but not for me. I have a recurring nightmare of someone sneaking up behind me in the post office queue or something and pulling it down. Then I turn quickly to see who it is, knocking over a postcard display and two old ladies with my flapping norkage. In a sinister twist, my old Headteacher is three behind me in the queue and has raised her eyebrows at me.....and so on.
Gin!

girlwhowearsglasses Thu 29-Jun-17 17:11:17

Oh bum. I was hoping you'd all give me permission :-(

A strapless bra would make me look like a comedy Benny hill barmaid.

I've ordered it so will report back

NomDePlumeReloaded Thu 29-Jun-17 17:18:12

Bardot can tip into milkmaid/serving wench on the busty, unfortunately.

I don't wear them for that reason. Bra at all times (well, not in the shower or in bed).

NomDePlumeReloaded Thu 29-Jun-17 17:19:33

I love the whistles top, btw.

Damn

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 29-Jun-17 17:21:12

You can of course, but I don't really see the point of wearing that style if you are going to wear a vest under.
I'd wear a different top tbh.

Bodicea Thu 29-Jun-17 19:11:33

I have bought a couple in red an blue and I am planning to wear with a bra in a matching colour. The ones I bought from asos actually came with spaghetti straps at about bra level but they are a bit flimsy/ pointless so planning on tucking them in and having bra on show instead. Looks like part of the dress if you get the colour match right and I honestly have no qualms about showing a nice bra strap off anyway ( obviously not a moving old grey one) I hate strapless bras as their shape is so unflattering.

cashmerecardigans Thu 29-Jun-17 19:15:59

I cheat and wear my normal bra and shove the straps down my arms so they're covered by the arm fabric! Works if you've got a well fitting bra as the band gives you all the support you need.

SerfTerf Thu 29-Jun-17 19:19:26

You can have my permission.

Thin straps or bra straps showing is quite barmaid/wench in its own right.

Put it this way, if you'd wear animal print, you can pull this off too. It's personal taste.

Lidlfix Thu 29-Jun-17 19:26:32

I am big booked , half the strapless Wonderbra but can't stand how uncomfortable it feels. I have quite a few similar (but cheaper) Bardot tops for this summer as they suit my apple shape with skinnies or cigarette leg trousers. I wear a proper bra with straps that look as though they could part of the top ie toning in with colour. The one you like is stunning.

Another option could be adding ribbon style straps (yourself or a dress maker) that would become part of the top and maybe make you feel more secure? There are lots of Bardot tops that have straps as feature - yours could just look like one too.

Lidlfix Thu 29-Jun-17 19:27:55

Big boobed not booked and have not halfblush

girlwhowearsglasses Thu 29-Jun-17 19:38:11

Yay, permission granted!

I'm not a shrinking violet, so I will suck it and see. I love the pattern but I'll send it back if it's Bet Lynch

SerfTerf Thu 29-Jun-17 20:18:06

Oh god no I didn't mean to suggest Bet Lynch extremes. But they are "Bardot" tops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now