Talk

Advanced search

Haircut for thin hair and long face

(10 Posts)
user1471474782 Wed 28-Jun-17 16:04:35

Hi, I'm a first time poster but a long time lurker.
I need some advice about my hair and reading the advice you lovely ladies give fellow MN'ers, I thought this would be the best place for me.
I have straight hair which comes to just above my waist. I had it layered and feathered 2 years ago and haven't done anything to it since then confused
It is quite thin and I was thinking my best option would be to have a blunt cut so it is all the same length (to make it look heavier) at the back with some layers put in around my face. My face is an oval shape and i wanted the layers so it breaks up the length of my face.
Does that make sense?
I'm so sorry this is so long but i know its only hair but its so important to me! I've never had a haircut that I've loved which has suited my hair type and face shape which is why I leave it so long before doing anything to it again!
Thanks for getting to the end and i look forward to any advice you can offer me

BreakfastAtStephanies Wed 28-Jun-17 18:43:35

Hi there. I am not a hairdresser, I would think you might want to go to shoulder length. Don't go too short you won't like it. The layers will give it body to make it look less thin, so I might be tempted to have longish layers throughout. Like a long layered bob. I am not an expert, like I said.

Fringe or no fringe ?

user1471474782 Wed 28-Jun-17 18:58:19

A fringe wouldn't work unfortunately because the front of my hairline is where my hair is thinnest. sad
Thank you so much for taking the time out and replying.
Are there any hairdressers that have any advice for me? I was hoping to have something done before the weekend as I'm going on a night out

Poshtottykins Wed 28-Jun-17 19:34:44

Hi Hairdresser here 😁 - good layering or feathering can create volume as long as you put some effort into styling !! I would be looking to add volume to the sides with some soft curls or waves - just a few with straighners or a wand can make a huge difference. Also can you have a few streaks added ? A bit of bleach or colour can add texture to hair both physically and visually

user1471474782 Thu 29-Jun-17 06:27:47

Bump

Fingermoose Thu 29-Jun-17 08:08:14

Hi OP, I'm not a hairdresser but have a similar shaped face to you. I agree shoulder length is a good way to go.

How much styling can you put up with, do you think? You could think about using texturising spray to get a bit of body into some layers.

Have a look on Pinterest at haircuts for fine hair and see if you like any. I'll see if I can find any pictures.

Fingermoose Thu 29-Jun-17 08:37:49

Any of these match your hair type?

Poshtottykins is right about color too - a lot of the ones in that slideshow have streaks.

GemmaB78 Thu 29-Jun-17 08:40:39

I have fine hair and a long face. I sport a chin length, inverted bob. It suits my face, my hair type and my lifestyle!

ontherightpath Thu 29-Jun-17 08:45:13

I have fine, thin hair and have tried all sorts styles & lengths over the years. I would say stay away from layers, you'll only be able to make your hair look full with a lot of styling but thin hair typically drops any style quickly so you may end up with limp, shapeless hair for most of the day. A blunt cut is best, shoulder length or above, with some shape cut into the front to frame your face. Hair colour will make it a bit thicker and more 'styleable'. I often use those clairol temporary dyes for a boost before a special event to help make my hair a bit more manageable & look thicker.

user1471474782 Thu 29-Jun-17 09:05:18

I really appreciate everyone who's replied to my post.. thank you so much!
I don't mind putting in a little time (10-15 min maybe) styling my hair. I currently just blow dry it upside down after coming out of the shower and then just scrape it back into a pony. I think I could manage putting some waves/curls in with the straighteners.
As for adding colour.. my hair is naturally dark brown, I used a permanent hair dye some time ago and now that its growing out I seem to have a diy balayage look going on which I quite like! Would it be possible to have some streaks put in over the top of this?
Once again, thank you all for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now