Talk

Advanced search

Help with wedding sandals please

(14 Posts)
user1487671808 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:04:53

I'm a guest at a wedding at the beginning of September and I'm really stuck re shoes. My dress is grey chiffon, strapless and just below knee length, I'm about 5'8, size 10 but legs not my favourite part.

Do I need shoes or sandals? And what colour?? Silver, grey or bright pink etc. I rarely wear heels but would like to as they feel more dressy but a few I've tried on are either too clumpy or sky high and I can't imagine wearing them for a whole day and evening.

My budget is not huge, £50 at most. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate the help. It's a big family wedding and I'd like to look as nice as possible but jeans are much more me than dresses and I don't know where to start.

FinnegansCake Tue 27-Jun-17 17:33:52

Sorry, I can't help but am watching with interest as I have an almost identical problem, i.e. similar coloured outfit, but hideous broad feet with bunions...

user1487671808 Tue 27-Jun-17 20:09:24

It's awful isn't it Finnegans everything I try on is either ridiculously high and stiletto or really clumpy and ugly. I don't want to look like I'm going clubbing, it's a special occasion and I want to make an effort to look good.

moutonfou Tue 27-Jun-17 20:14:00

I wore these sandals to a wedding, they got lots of compliments. They look really fancy on for the price.

uk.accessorize.com/view/product/uk_catalog/acc_3.7/3950010840

MrsLettuce Tue 27-Jun-17 20:27:01

Any chance of a link to the dress? Shoe wise I'd tend go for something in a strong colour myself turquoise, yellow, cerise.
Something more neutral like silver / perwter / nude / blush pink / navy would be absolutely fine too. Grey is a very forgiving colour to combine.

Do you have a jacket/shawl, bag, shoes or jewelry that you'd like to be able to use?

MrsLettuce Tue 27-Jun-17 20:30:46

Oh, sorry. What I meant to say was that closed toe would be really wise. The weather could just as likely be rainy as warm and damp toes feels awfyl. Maybe slingbacks or something with a closed toe but open sides and ankle strap.

Will have a look for an idea or two.

noenemee Tue 27-Jun-17 20:46:17

These look ok for all day, they have size 7 in grey too
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/shoes-and-boots/nine-west-chandelier-heels/d788136.pd#260859542

These might look nice, but need a pair of sparkly flip flops to replace for comfort
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/shoes-and-boots/head-over-heels-cosmos-embellished-cut-out-court-shoe/d803011.pd#263927784

It's hard to say without seeing the dress and knowing the size, but generally if you don't want to draw attention to your legs, I'd go with a more neutral colour shoe.

MrsLettuce Tue 27-Jun-17 20:52:48

there is only one size left in these beauties, so, just on the off chance really. They are top of budget but massively reduced.
are these too clumpy for you? They'd be comfortable and there;s a hell of a lot of standing at weddings. Not all sizes left.
same as above but in gold

user1487671808 Tue 27-Jun-17 21:28:37

Moutonfou - thank you I like these but just think I need a heel to feel dressed up enough and also make my slightly chunky legs look better.

Mrs Lettuce - I wish I could link to the dress but it's second hand and probably ancient. It's just strapless and the shoulders sort of gather into the waist then it flares out a bit to just below the knee. It looks better on than it sounds. I think if I do block heels they need to be quite slim blocks and about 3 inches, any lower and my legs look awful. Kitten heels just don't look good on me though I like the idea of sling backs.

Noenemee - I really like the grey Cosmos ones and I think I could wear them as the have straps to held them on. Do you think that grey shoes with a grey dress will be overkill though?

I wish I had beautiful slim legs as really a pair of sparkly gladiator sandals is what I'd wear from choice but I'd just look stupid as it is. I'm in my late forties and I've never owned a dressy pair of shoes or sandals, how ridiculous is that!

MabelFurball Tue 27-Jun-17 21:35:52

www.pavers.co.uk/products/leather-wedge-sandal-kikka2300-307-800?variant=43774465159

I wore those to a wedding a few years ago. Were able to wear them all day without any discomfort.

noenemee Tue 27-Jun-17 21:41:58

Like I say if you don't want to draw attention to your legs, I'd go with the grey or a neutral shoe and add a bright bag for contrast. That will draw eyes even further away from your legs.

I found these for standing all day in, but from what you've just said they're maybe too blocky?
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_56308+000026141_-1

If you did decide to go flat, these are very pretty and a bit Gladiator style
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_58958+0435465979_-1

I like the Cosmos shoes too, they also stock them at Debenhams.

Send for them and try them on with the dress, you can return them if they don't look right for you, or don't fit well enough. There's nothing lost and there's nothing like seeing how something feels when it's on.

carrotcakecupcake Tue 27-Jun-17 21:50:14

I would agree with others suggesting a neutral/nude. If anything, they won't draw attention to your feet and you can focus on drawing the eyes to your dress/necklace/hair or whatever!
I wore plain nude patent courts on my wedding day and I've gotten so much wear out of them since, I can't remember what I spent on them but it was totally worth it!

building2017 Wed 28-Jun-17 08:25:02

I wore ink{http://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Regular_Ankle_Strap_Sandals/pp/4685093.html?dtp=483232&brand=2\www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Regular_Ankle_Strap_Sandals/pp/4685093.html?dtp=483232&brand=]]2} in fuschia to a wedding recently, flat and comfy but stylish.

building2017 Wed 28-Jun-17 08:27:22

Link failed sorry. Lands end style 483232

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now