Talk

Advanced search

Nail varnish advice please for useless person - me!

(13 Posts)
blessedbrianblessed Tue 27-Jun-17 14:33:02

Sorry all, I am so useless at beauty stuff so really need some advice and quick please as going to works do in next few days and want to look even more gorgeous than I really am hmm grin - ha, ha!!!

I had my nails done with gel varnish a while ago, and while I liked the look, I hated the effect it had on my nails and the long-term maintenance / cost aspect of it.

So... I am now looking for a decent nail varnish which won't chip easily and which I can apply myself.

Also colour advice please - I'm going somewhere and need to look poshed up - will be wearing beige/blue combo by day and hot pink dress by night.

Amee1992x Tue 27-Jun-17 14:51:28

I like Barry m gel effect polish. And I'm a beauty therapist, apart from that China glaze or opi which is a bit more pricey.

Just make sure you buy a base coat to prevent nail staining and a top coat to prolong wear x

gingerbreadmam Tue 27-Jun-17 14:54:07

i love models own. id probably go for a nude colour to suit both outfits pr if you are wearing jewellery then pick out that colour.

if you have gels removed properly they shouldnt give you any.problems with your nails.

StarHeartDiamond Tue 27-Jun-17 15:13:08

I don't get on with models own as I find it too runny. I like opi or the Rimmel ones are surprisingly good. If you go for a shimmer, pearl or glitter it doesn't chip as much and lasts longer. I would go for a shimmer gold or bronze as it's a good neutral that looks dressy and you don't have to worry about touch-ups.

hecallsmebunny Tue 27-Jun-17 16:46:42

I agree on Rimmel ones being great, though they seem to have mostly Gel options now too! The 60 second ones are good though and loads of colours available. I also find that using Sally Hansen Insta-Dri top coat works wonders for me, no waiting ages for them to be fully dry, no chipping and last longer.

As for colour, it's tricky when your day and night colours are so different! I think gingerbreadman has it right that you should go neutral.

blessedbrianblessed Tue 27-Jun-17 16:51:21

amazing! Thank you everyone - mega-helpful smile

Neutral it is - base coat, and top coat too. Can I get most of the products mentioned in high street stores or are they online?

Amee1992x Tue 27-Jun-17 16:52:43

You'll get rimmle and Barry m in places like Superdrug x

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 27-Jun-17 16:58:28

If you use No7 top coat,which is cheaper and far better than the seche vite stuff that people seem to love,it dries in seconds and lasts ages.

I love Sally Hanson and Rimmel and if you have a Wilkos near you their varnishes are incredible.

Spam88 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:06:50

I find OPI the best for not chipping. Absolutely use base and top coat. Make sure you apply thin layers of the colour and wrap your tips (paint the edge - google it because I'm explaining terribly).

I agree a nude colour would be nice. Possibly a nude with a slight gold shimmer?

blue2014 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:17:22

I really wanted to love Barry m and I guess it was good. Lasted 9 days on my toes without a chip but I'm used to gel that lasts me 4 months or so . So I'll be going back to gel

gingerbreadmam Tue 27-Jun-17 17:24:20

barry m have the best colours but i always feel you have to layer up and they never quite dry so smudge everywhere.

boots do models own. their colours are lovely. never had a problem with them but have also heard rimmel are good i quite like no17 too.

mumobsessedwithdamp Tue 27-Jun-17 17:27:19

I second the advice for a shimmery one - much more forgiving for chips/smudges

blessedbrianblessed Tue 27-Jun-17 18:14:27

Thank you all very much again - and I will be hitting my local Wilkos tomorrow DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now