Talk

Advanced search

Suntan lotion P20, what's it like?

(38 Posts)
TSSDNCOP Sat 24-Jun-17 14:36:57

DH and I will easily go through 7 bottles of Ambre Solaire f30 spray on holiday in 14 days.

Has anyone tried P20? It's on special in Sainsbury this week.

Does it really last all day without feeling like you need to top up? We will be in and out the pool and sea all day. Also can't use Nivea as it gives me heat rash, anyone found they're more prone with this product?

LeannePerrins Sat 24-Jun-17 15:11:56

I used it for years but it is not terribly pleasant. It has quite a strong smell and stains any light coloured clothing indelibly yellow. I discovered Ultrasun last year and have been fully converted. I have also heard good things about Calypso.

LeannePerrins Sat 24-Jun-17 15:12:45

You will have to reapply any product if you are in and out of the water btw. It's water resistant but not water proof.

mintbiscuit Sat 24-Jun-17 15:12:52

No. You need to reapply if you do anything that will cause the sunscreen to rub off. This includes swimming, wearing clothes, laying on sand and sweating.

You could buy supermarket own brand sunscreen. It's often cheaper with very high standards of protection.

Dailystuck71 Sat 24-Jun-17 15:14:05

Better off with ultrasun. It doesn't stain but even though it says once a day you should reapply.

PuckeredAhole Sat 24-Jun-17 15:15:03

It stinks, stains clothes and stings if you get it in your eyes by mistake. I won't buy it again.

TSSDNCOP Sat 24-Jun-17 15:22:27

So it's a thumbs down fairly fast for P20. Thank you MN jury.

Ultrasun you say...off to Google

Still devastated that Loreal stopped doing my all time favourite lotion a few years ago and never found a total replacement since sad

HappyAxolotl Sat 24-Jun-17 15:29:05

I have the SPF 50 P20 spray. It is heavy and pore-clogging and its texture manages to be both greasy and sticky at the same time.

The only good thing is that I've never burned wearing it and you need so little that the bottle lasts ages. My bottle is on its 3rd summer.

(I keep sunscreen in a cool dark bottom drawer all the time so it does tend to keep for a second summer if I have some left over. If it has had exposure to heat and light I don't keep it.)

My all-time favourite is Piz Buin Allergy SPF30. It works on my very sun-sensitive skin and feels quite nice on. It's very perfumed though which may not be everyone's taste.

Redsippycup Sat 24-Jun-17 15:35:17

P20 used to be amazing and didn't rub off. Now it is greasy, stains everything yellow and smells awful.

You don't burn though, tbf.

What is this Ultrasun of which you speak? off to google...

LoupGarou Sat 24-Jun-17 15:38:04

I absolutely love p20, I've used it a lot on scuba diving holidays and its the only sunscreen I use now, I can't rave about it enough.

I wear a lot of white on holiday and I've never had it turn clothes yellow, I also have never had to reapply it. I put it on it in the morning and its good for the day, even with my back exposed snorkelling.

I do have olive-ish skin, but I burn easily, I've never been even remotely tingly with p20, its so easy to put on and I don't feel greasy and my skin doesn't clog unlike a lot of other sunscreens. The best bit for me is that I'm not allergic to it, whereas I react badly to lots of other sunscreen.

HarryOHay Sat 24-Jun-17 15:42:32

We have used the factor 50 on the kids for years and they have never burned. We apply it in the morning and let it dry before dressing them so this minimises stains. They are in and out of the pool/sea all day with no top ups.

Somerville Sat 24-Jun-17 15:42:33

P20 is great. My favourite sunblock for body - it's too astringent to use on my face. I'm super pale and go pink easily, and with a lot of other sun blocks after 20 minutes in the water they've washed off entirely and I start going pink. But P20 lasts a lot longer (though I always reapply again after I'm dry.)

NomDePlumeReloaded Sat 24-Jun-17 15:48:30

Gross. Stains clothes, greasy and gross, gives me rashes. Vile.

Ultrasun all the way

poisonedbypen Sat 24-Jun-17 15:53:58

We've used it for years on sporty holidays & we haven't burned. We tend to apply regular cream after lunch just in case, but not sure it's needed. It can turn white t shirts yellow, I think I read that it was the interaction of sweat & P20. I looked at Ultrasun but it was twice as expensive!

misscph1973 Sat 24-Jun-17 15:55:05

I have only just started using P20 factor 50, and I am quite happy with it. I have really tried to stick to physical filter only, but the factor 50 ones are really expensive and not very good plus. P20 is a bit sticky, but so are all other sun creams I have used. It does seem to work well, I was at the beach for a full day during the heatwave and I didn't burn and I didn't reapply. I am going to Portugal in a month, and I will be reapplying there. No problems with stains either, but I did let it dry/soak in for 15 min.

I can recommend Green People factor 30, it's really good for a physical filter sun cream, and it's not very sticky. But unfortunately this is the highest factor they do (they claim there there is not point in any higher factor).

I know of Ultrasense, but it's almost double the price of P20, so I haven't bought it.

WreckTangled Sat 24-Jun-17 15:57:45

Ultrasun is amazing. The dc use it and Dh applies it in the morning, he's a builder and it's the only one that doesn't make dust stick to him and doesn't run into his eyes when he sweats.

Borntoflyinfirst Sat 24-Jun-17 16:03:58

We are a very pale family and we swear by P20. Yes t does stain clothes but I don't mind the smell and obviously don't get it in your eyes! The new spray bottles make it easier to apply and you can get a range of factors now too. We have never burnt with it - even applying once before going to theme parks for the day in Florida and I'm not kidding when we say we're pale and prone to burning! Of course you'd have to reapply after swimming.

thekingfisher Sat 24-Jun-17 16:06:30

I use p20 as the function of ultra sun is that it is a mineral sunscreen which reflects the sun rather than p20 which uses chemicals in effect to stop the sun.

I have quite a lot of skin allergies that are exacerbated by the sun and p20 is the o my sunscreen that is good for it..
Ultrasun really dried my skin out and made it itchy as fxxx. So p20 all the way for
Me

LoupGarou Sat 24-Jun-17 16:14:16

I agree with theking I reacted horribly to Ultrasun as did DS.

I do leave the p20 to dry for about ten mins before getting dressed, perhaps as others have said that's the key to the no staining?

WreckTangled Sat 24-Jun-17 16:32:57

Interesting people have reacted to it. We only use the sensitive one as dd has eczema but we haven't had any trouble. We found p20 so greasy. I suppose it's just about finding what works for you.

The sun cream in New Zealand is much better!

Trumpton Sat 24-Jun-17 16:53:20

I always use P20 . Apply it after my morning shower whilst nuddy and wander round my room for 15mins until I am thoroughly dry.

Never had any staining of clothes or burnt . If I want to change colour I have to leave it off until I have caught a few rays .

Looks like it's a marmite situation !

snowflake25 Sat 24-Jun-17 16:59:14

It has a chemical scent and the yellow liquid stains anything it touches, so you have to be so careful with it, it also rubs off and onto light coloured swim wear - that said it does work and lasts all day.

TSSDNCOP Sat 24-Jun-17 16:59:48

It looks like drying the P20 is the way to avoid transfer to clothes.

But overall P20's getting bad press here so far.

Is it not possible to import New Zealand/Aussie products? Someone's missing a trick there.

TSSDNCOP Sat 24-Jun-17 17:00:41

Wrecked what should we no looking out for from your market?

Cakescakescakes Sat 24-Jun-17 17:02:45

Super allergic, pale, eczema prone family here and use the Ultrasun Family 30 on all of us as it was recommended by DS1's dermatologist. Once a day and we
never burn. It's excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now