Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

This idiot has sunburn - help.

(13 Posts)
CalmShambala Thu 22-Jun-17 07:36:45

I am a bloody idiot.

Yesterday I sat out in the sun for the first time in many years. I put factor 30 on, then the door bell went and I forgot to do my legs. I sat out for 1.5 hours lying on my front. Now my legs are lobster-like and stiff. I am in pain.

I lived on the equator for 16 years and never once burnt. Get back to Blighty and burn on first hot day. What a plonker.

Someone please share tips on how to take away the burning sensation.

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 22-Jun-17 07:39:12

Have you got some lotion you can pop in the fridge for relief?
And I've taken paracetamol in the past, at night, so I can get some sleep.

sympathies, I did the same thing, just in my legs last week.

TeenagersandFurbabies Thu 22-Jun-17 07:39:38

Sudocrem and ibuprofen should help.

Looneytune253 Thu 22-Jun-17 07:39:38

Aloe Vera gel from Holland and Barrett, really really works. We all got burned on holiday and this took sting right out.

daisygirlmac Thu 22-Jun-17 07:39:45

Put your aftersun in the fridge! Hopefully you have one with aloe vera in as well. Really cool shower or bath to take the heat out of it and if it's really awful I sometimes wrap those freezer blocks in a tea towel and move them around

Therealslimshady1 Thu 22-Jun-17 07:42:25

After sun that is 90 percent aloe gel, they sell it at health food stores

This one is magic:

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/aloe-pura-aloe-vera-gel-60070392

Don't put anything oily or greasy on!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Thu 22-Jun-17 07:44:28

Taking the heat out is the key thing.

Wet some towels with cold water and lie them on your legs.

Once in a hotel I put sopping wet flannels in the freezer compartment of the mini bar fridge and then lay them on me to cool down the skin.

And yes Aloe Vera is magic stuff.

Lottapianos Thu 22-Jun-17 07:46:19

Dear lord, you poor thing. That was me a few years ago - roaster legs. Hideous

Aloe Vera gel, ibuprofen to help with swelling, drink loads of water, rest as much as possible. And obviously stay well out of the sun. You will be feeling much better in a few days x

SpiritedLondon Thu 22-Jun-17 07:49:48

Another vote for Aloe Vera gel.

Cheesecake53 Thu 22-Jun-17 08:43:41

I burned my legs, too, three weeks ago on a beach in Kent. So, so stupid of me. My legs were awfully red and the worst part swollen, but I had no blisters. Aloe Vera gel helped, but from the second day onward I used the E45 for sunburn, which made a difference for me.
Good luck CalmShambala. It will get better!

CalmShambala Thu 22-Jun-17 09:28:44

Thank you for the tips and the sympathy.
I have some Aloe Gel cooling in the fridge as we speak.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Thu 22-Jun-17 09:35:06

I did the same thing! I couldn't walk the first day. Get yourself some aloe vera and smear yourself in it regularly. Also coconut oil has helped me a lot. Good luck!

CalmShambala Thu 22-Jun-17 09:39:20

I have my first personal training session tomorrow. How am I going to do squats with my volcano legs grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: