Talk

Advanced search

What clothes do I need for camping near beach in Brittany?

(20 Posts)
hiveofactivity Wed 21-Jun-17 13:38:23

We don't usually do beach-y summer holidays and I've never been camping. Do I just need some shorts, vest tops, swimsuit (and some warmer clothes)?
Or is there a secret beach or camping dress code?

And where can I get cotton shorts in small sizes (M&S or similar are too big on me)? H&M and Mango have a lot of polyester/jersey.
And loose fitting vests in cotton - not really long or tight ones - do they exist?

I'm embarrassed to feel so clueless at my age.

MrsBadger Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:31

Yes shorts but it may not be that warm - Brittany in August last year we all needed hoodies in the evening.
Uniqlo for cotton basics. And there is no secret dress code - you'll see everything from Fr super-glam mamans to lumpy Brits in Boden Breton stripes and crocs [ie me]

Nb put names in children's crocs /sandals for when you leave them at the gate of the campsite pool. 15 pairs identical pink Clarks...

dreamingofsun Wed 21-Jun-17 14:59:04

some pyjamas? you may get lovely weather or it could rain - so be prepared for both. everythings pretty casual on campsites. the ones we've been to have washing machines. flip flops - useful in shower blocks as well as beach.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 21-Jun-17 15:43:16

Not clothing, but don't forget insect repellent and antihistamine tablets. There can be hordes of buzzy bitey critters near beaches, especially at dusk. We are allergic and swell up, so it can make or break the holiday for us.

For loose fitting vests, it may be worth a look at American Eagle. Mine came from there, a long time ago and I am dreading them falling apart.

mrsmildred Wed 21-Jun-17 16:04:46

Brittany may not be that warm, it's exposed and right on the Atlantic and can be very windy, and especially chilly at night (for summer). I wouldn't go thinking this was a wafting about in a kaftan and bikini type affair. To that end my biggest tip would not be clothes, but to pack a wind break, for both the beach and your pitch, it will make a huge difference to how long you spend at either.

Camping generally is not a fashion event, especially if you're in a tent and car with limited packing space. Even in the evening at campsite bars and restaurants it will be very casual. I'd pack mix and match shorts, vests and t-shirts, t-shirt tunic dresses for beach cover ups and general out and about, and longer jersey dresses or cargo/chino style trousers for evening, with sweatshirts or hoodies for warmth. Sounds boring, but you can find nice versions of all these in the usual shops you like, doesn't have to special camping stuff.

hiveofactivity Wed 21-Jun-17 16:14:23

Ok so casual I can do - it ain't Ibiza grin

Do I need rash vests for dd or is it unlikely to be that hot?

Have got repellents and insect stuff - will there be ants shock

mrsmildred Wed 21-Jun-17 16:32:32

Def not Ibiza, more Cornwall. Leave the kaftans and sparkly sandals at home!

Rash vests might be good for ease, even if temps aren't high, being in sun+wind will burn. Plus the sea will be choppy being the atlantic so they might feel more protected. On that note, depending on their ages, body boards are good. Or if they are really young save the sea for when the tide is out for paddling and rock pooling in the evening.

Basically northern France is pretty much the same as south coast England, just separated by the sea, so do anything you'd do for a trip to the beach here. There are certainly no new forms of insects, just the usual gnats and beachy critters you get here. No mosquitos.

hiveofactivity Wed 21-Jun-17 16:39:24

Actually I'd be glad if its not roasting hot - ok will pack as though were going to Cornwall in July.

MrsBadger Wed 21-Jun-17 19:17:19

(My 'things we wish we'd taken' list from last year's eurocamp in Brittany:

Wetsuits
Ping pong (table was free but it cost to hire bats and balls)
Badminton (ditto)
1 Euro coins (for trollies and vending machines)
Coffee cone (we prefer it to cafetière)
Pool toys / inflatables
Boule
Walkie talkies

OCSockOrphanage Wed 21-Jun-17 20:35:08

North or south coast? Only ask because if north think Cornish weather and if south, add 10 degrees to the temperature. Lorient, Vannes, Auray are a micro-climate and can be quite different to Brest and Roscoff. For northern Brittany, I'd take a wetsuit (maybe a shortie); for south, a UV vest.

Danglingmod Wed 21-Jun-17 20:38:39

Raincoats and wellies? Never been to Brittany when it's not chucked it down the whole time!

sunnyhills Wed 21-Jun-17 21:34:45

OP if you're an American size small this is on sale at American Eagle for £11 odd
www.aeo.com/uk/women/aeo-soft-sexy-high-neck-tank-white/pdp/0302_2690_100

londonpia Wed 21-Jun-17 22:24:32

MrsBadger- why walkie talkies?

MrsBadger Wed 21-Jun-17 22:45:42

So dc could check in from playground / table tennis / bouncy castle while dh and I lay about drinking wine wink.

MrsBadger Wed 21-Jun-17 22:46:42

(We had them already for using on U.K. campsites, just forgot to pack them)

hiveofactivity Thu 22-Jun-17 09:20:20

Its south Brittany - hoping it won't rain sad

Looks like we need to pack for all eventualities...

Where does everyone buy their shorts from? I have some old ones from Gap and DP but I think I bought them when I was pregnant and they're too big. And immensely unflattering.
I think I need to buy in a shop to try on rather than online.

MrsBadger Thu 22-Jun-17 09:25:23

I have only two pairs and both are from Fat Face. Nice sturdy cotton but they only go down to an 8 so may not suit you.

Don't take too much of any one thing though - I wore the same pair of shorts the whole week (so did dd), and you can always do laundry. Better to pack a variety and accept some stuff may not get worn.

Uhtred Thu 22-Jun-17 09:53:55

We went to Carnac in half term and it was nice weather really. Take light weight waterproofs for when it's warm but suddenly starts raining. We also took wetsuits for kids. Hoodies for when it cools off. We like to get off the beaten track a bit and go to beaches that aren't as busy and this year we took one of those beach trolley things for all of our stuff and it was brilliant! We also needed a sun umbrella and windbreak but we bought them out there as there was lots of choice. Brittany is the home of the Breton stripe after all so can't go wrong with that! Nice baggy clothes for eating all the bread, crepes and Breton cake! Layers and comfy casual is the way to go.
Take a big bag (ikea blue bag ideal) to put all sandy shoes and items in so they can be kept together and don't get sand everywhere!

jenpetronus Sat 24-Jun-17 14:05:42

I live in South Brittany and it was 35 during the day all last week and didn't drop below 26 at night. I would check the forecast nearer the time before doing all your packing!

UsernameInvalid66 Sat 24-Jun-17 14:30:12

Try Peacocks for the shorts. They have about 83 different varieties and all at very reasonable prices so there could well be something to suit you. I'm living in their knee length narrow denim ones at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now