Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

cotton/ linen smart office clothes: do they exist?

(17 Posts)
Gatekeeper Tue 20-Jun-17 18:08:53

actually it's the shirts and tops that need to be natural fibres as man made stuff makes me smell like a dray hoss!

I'm looking for semi fitted shirts, smart short sleeved ones and dresses

I'm 53 5'7 size 16/18 hourglass although with menopause I seem to be getting what was called 'midridge bulge' <sigh>. I don't suit a-line as it makes my arse look enormous. Lower legs fine, upper arms awful so no cap sleeves. For work I like black, white and varying shades of grey

I would be crawlingly grateful if anyone can help; this is my first job for 14 years and I need help!!!

PaperdollCartoon Tue 20-Jun-17 21:01:54

Is it definitely a formal office? There aren't many that are. Start with Cos, and try things on.

thedevilinablackdress Tue 20-Jun-17 22:15:35

I came here to say Cos too.

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano Tue 20-Jun-17 22:38:16

H&M have a decent selection of cotton and linen if you look hard - cheap too.

Gap always worth a look for cotton shirts.

TM Lewin of course though bizarrely they only have one short sleeves shirt on sale at the mo.

M&S worth a look - website allows you to filter by material

putdownyourphone Tue 20-Jun-17 22:39:54

Have you looked at STALF - amazing clothes, all linen and loose fit. Bloody love it

Gatekeeper Sat 24-Jun-17 20:05:07

thanks everyone- forgot I posted this blush

I've looked at the cos website etc but they all seem to look like dresses made from old pillow cases to me grin

Tm Lewin and H&M it is I reckon (and charity shops)

Mamia15 Sun 25-Jun-17 09:43:49

Saw some smart linen tops in M&S

Floisme Sun 25-Jun-17 13:11:01

I second H&M although you may have to rummage even more than usual. I keep linking these wrap shirts even though the colours don't suit me in the hope that they'll take the hint and do some more. But they've also got plain, more formal ones in cotton or linen.

I also like some in M&S Autograph e.g. here and here There's a white one too.
M&S Collection have some cheaper ones but the linen doesn't feel as heavy.

And bugger me but I like the look of this Per Una one which is linen and cotton, although I've not seen it in real life and I'm not sure what horizontal stripes would do to my waistline.

Gatekeeper Tue 27-Jun-17 16:20:30

I like everything you've linked to Floisme; smart but not stiff or formal

imjessie Tue 27-Jun-17 20:41:12

Next have some linen shirt dresses cheap as chips and really nice . Smart enough for an office with the right shoes .

Almostthere15 Tue 27-Jun-17 21:37:37

Sainsburys of all places have a lovely 100% cotton sleeveless top.
tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/White-Pintuck-Shell-Top/131238481-White
Its cool and covered enough for work. It sits a bit lower on the hip than on the model

Groupie123 Tue 27-Jun-17 21:39:53

Cos look a lot better on. Most of my older colleagues in the city wear Cos to work. Alternatively Hobbs have a few nice cotton dresses.

DisorderedAllsorts Tue 27-Jun-17 22:27:41

Have a look in Massimo Dutti and the White company

PhilODox Tue 27-Jun-17 22:31:44

I get my linen and cotton tops mainly from Gap, some from seasalt (though be careful, check 100% cotton), and boden. Sometimes white company have nice things, but not so much recently.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 27-Jun-17 22:35:58

I get my linen trousers from Monsoon. Also have some decent linen shirts from M&S and Hobbs but they are about 10 years old.

BigYellowJumper Tue 27-Jun-17 22:40:36

Uniqlo is good for cotton basics. My husband gets all his shirts from there and likes them better than his expensive ones.

floisme That wrap shirt looks like it doesn't even fit the model properly. Maybe looks better in real life but the picture is so bad.

BikeRunSki Tue 27-Jun-17 22:52:43

Bear with me.... Woolovers have brought out a range of women's wear (that's not knitwear) in natural fibres]]

Have a look at Patra too

Neither are cutting edge fashion, but they both use natural fibres.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: