Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

advice please. I'm visiting from Australia - what are your best beauty buys that i should stock up on while I'm here 😎

(33 Posts)
cresbella Sun 18-Jun-17 07:14:09

G'day
I'm here from Aus for a month and would love some suggestions on how to spend my holiday money! I love hair, make up and fashion and particularly enjoy finding a fantastic product which is an absolute bargain. That's where I need your advice, over here in the UK you have so many more brand and products than we do in Australia.
I often look on this thread and every now and then a s&b product gets rave reviews. For instance last time I was over I bought Phwoar paint concealer from Boots which I love and is on my shoping list for this trip.
I'm hoping that you guys can tell me about other little gems available here.
Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to my spendi g spree!

Nelly5678 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:18:44

Depends where you go and sizes and budget, but most high Street stores like primark etc have hidden gems that are cheap too so you can get even more things for your money smile

wren23091 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:22:22

If you can get to a Superdrug, they have really fantastic own brand hair and makeup products, and often have 3 for 2 or similar deals across high street makeup brands also smile

jeaux90 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:25:39

I'd buy some of the french face stuff boots stock. Embryolisse is a good product but they only have it in big stores or you can order online.

kwick Sun 18-Jun-17 07:28:23

@cresbella welcome back to Blighty!

Here are some of my favourites:
- Superdrug Naturally Radiant hot cloth cleanser
- Superdrug vitamin E micellar water
- Superdrug B hyraluronic acid spray

sashh Sun 18-Jun-17 07:39:25

My aunt has lived in Oz since the 1960s, she still lusts after Boots makeup.

Are you in London? Head for Urban Decay in Covent Garden, not cheap but fantastic range of colours.

Superdrug is good for cheap stuff.

However do think about how you are going to pack your bargains, you might want to post them home rather than risk your bargains leaking over your clothes.

Rioja123 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:42:18

No7 is good for skin care

cresbella Sun 18-Jun-17 07:43:50

This is great keep them coming - so helpful. What make up brand should I look at at which products.
I have wavy hair and have been experimenting with the curly girl method but its a struggle to find sulphate and silicone free hair products. Particularly interested in finding a purple shamoo that is for curly girls .

KoalaDownUnder Sun 18-Jun-17 07:44:40

If you like Nuxe or Covent Garden Sanctuary Spa products, grab them, as Priceline is not stocking them in Aus anymore. sad

La Roche Posay cheaper in U.K. too.

Otherwise i would just hit up Superdrug and Boots and buy loads of own-brand stuff you can't get here. That's what I do when I go to London. smile

KoalaDownUnder Sun 18-Jun-17 07:45:46

Ps So envious - I love UK chemists! So much better than ours. envy

jeaux90 Sun 18-Jun-17 08:24:38

My sister is over from the states next week. She also stocks up on the little tin pots of Vaseline, for her and her dd and custard cream biscuits grin

bingohandjob Sun 18-Jun-17 08:26:39

For facial stuff, Superdrug's b.range, naturally radiant and simply pure range are just brilliant. Much better than Boots No.7, I think.

Take a look at Sali Hughes' Guardian beauty column and skim for her budget recommendations.

Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 09:26:25

I'd not bother with toiletries as Big W usually has just a good selection as Boots does. I'm back in the UK and I miss Big W!

Make up is different!

I'd just lose myself in a big Boots for an afternoon. Look at the NYX stand and enjoy.

Ollivander84 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:13:00

Curly girl stuff
Superdrug - noughty range, their extracts condition
Boots - cantu, Shea moisture, kind natured range
I like seventeen HD falsifye mascara (there's two, make sure it's the HD one)
NYX? Not sure if you get that in Aus but most large Boots stock it

cresbella Sun 18-Jun-17 20:31:24

Thank for all the suggestions, you're a treasure trove of information ladies.
Any recommendations for a good face primer at a keen price?

igglu Sun 18-Jun-17 20:36:06

Not a primer but I second the urban decay suggestion. My sister lives in Australia and every time she comes back to the UK she stocks up on the naked pallets for her and her friends

tigerdriverII Sun 18-Jun-17 20:37:54

M&S Autograph skincare: esp nightcream and serum - v good and inexpensive

marmitecheesetoast Sun 18-Jun-17 20:49:59

Curly girl - in addition to the above suggestions - boots pink curl cream - massive pot for about £2 and just as good as most more expensive curl creams! Boots also stock ORS curls unleashed and The Yes To... range - Yes to Carrots shampoo is certainly sulfate free. Tresemme also have a couple of silicone free conditioners.

I like No 7 stay perfect super light foundation. They do a pretty good mascara too and some nice nail varnishes - often on 3 for 2 on their make up and skin care

Happy shopping!

littlewoollypervert Sun 18-Jun-17 21:03:33

Face primer - Lancane anti chafe cream, best stuff I've ever used and under a tenner!

littlewoollypervert Sun 18-Jun-17 21:04:33

It's a dupe for Smashbox primer and I can't tell the difference

cresbella Sun 18-Jun-17 21:18:12

Yes yes yes to lanacane. I have that on my list too. We dont have that down under

Maraki Sun 18-Jun-17 22:03:24

Curly girl: cantu is on offee at Superdrug at the moment. Pink curl cream in Boots is fabulous as is Umberto Gianini scrunchy gel.

Makeup Revolution palettes in Superdrug are amazing (and Iconic 1 is a dupe for Urban Decay Naked 1, Iconic 2 makeup revolution is a dupe for UD Naked 2, etc). MUR Radiance palette is fab too.

Primark do primers for £5, which are good too.

You must also go to a large Primark and a large Topshop.

TanteJeanne Sun 18-Jun-17 22:03:34

Try an M&S with a big beauty department- lots of brands of skincare, haircare, makeup, fragrance etc and their own stuff, under one roof. Not particularly cheap but great choice.

Nonotmenori Sun 18-Jun-17 22:47:47

Primer I use urban decay de slick. I used to use Lanacane until my face started getting white spots. I also use the Mac primer, but prefer UD.

WomblingThree Mon 19-Jun-17 07:40:14

Seconding Boots pink curl creme. I'm dreading them realising what a bargain it is and charging £10 for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now