Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are the clothes on the Boden website tailored to the models do you think?!

(23 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Sat 17-Jun-17 22:09:22

I absolutely love the look and style of everything Boden but I've lost count of the number of things I've had to return as it looks nothing like it does on the model! For the record I'm Size 10 and 5'5' with pretty normal proportions (boobs maybe a bit big right now due to bf) and don't normally have problems getting clothes to fit. On the website the women look fantastic and effortlessly stylish, on me the clothes look frumpy, middle aged and shapeless. I know I should stop buying it but just wondering if it's just me!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sat 17-Jun-17 22:20:26

They style the clothes to within an inch of their lives, proper photographer with all the fancy lighting stuff, if the model turns around she'll have a load of bulldog clips cinching the clothes in here and there to help make them sit/look right and it'll be photoshopped more than a Beyoncé instagram snap 😁

AnUnhappyStudent Sun 18-Jun-17 22:07:11

Yep i am the same size and height as you and look like a sack of shit in boden grin

littlebillie Sun 18-Jun-17 22:12:26

I like how they look but know they won't look like that on me as more shire than race horse!

domesticslattern Sun 18-Jun-17 22:39:46

You really notice this if you go to the shop. Rack after rack of stuff that looks good in the catalogue looks shit IRL.
So no OP, it's not just you! smile

user1487941567 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:40:37

Of course. All the models are wearing pins and bulldog clips along the back! grin

TheBogQueen Sun 18-Jun-17 22:43:54

They use very thin models.

I always imagine Boden garments hanging in a branch of m&s and then stretched across my middle aged arse.

If it passes that test I might order it if it's also in the sale.

VanillaSugar Sun 18-Jun-17 22:47:13

Oh thank god, I thought it was just me. I bought a dress and ended up looking like a charlady.

SpaghettiMeatballs Sun 18-Jun-17 22:47:58

I was just coming on to say 'bulldog clips' but I see I've been beaten to it.

To be fair I have some nice stuff from Boden but I've also sent a lot back because it was shapeless.

hiccupgirl Mon 19-Jun-17 14:27:15

I find tops and dresses generally work on me as long as they're not too low cut but trousers and skirts aren't cut for my shape at all. I send lots of stuff back too.

I'm 5'3' ish with big hips but smaller top half. I reckon their models all wear the long version (as regular fits me) and everything is pinned in at the back.

theredjellybean Mon 19-Jun-17 14:31:40

its interesting because i find most of boden stuff very flattering and feel great in it. BUT i do not expect to look like the model in the picture .
I am 50, a size 12 , and 5ft 4, and i have nice curves...sort of madmen esque....of course it wont look the same as it does on a 6 ft size 4 androgynous 12 year old with full photographic slap on and great lighting...

I think perhaps your expectations may be a bit high of what clothes can do for us..
also i think you have to know what suits your shape and age etc..lots of stuff in boden catalogue looks gorgeous but just isnt good for my shape so i dont order it and expect it to make me suddenly look like the picture..but on the whole the stuff cut in shapes that i know will flatter my figure do exactly that

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 19-Jun-17 14:36:07

I love their flat shoes, the Ravello tops and the odd pair of work cropped trousers. That's it. The skirts are all wrong, the dresses make me look ridiculous and their coat proportions are all wrong for my body.

Their coats for children are brilliant, though, and never die even when handed down to siblings.

YouWouldntLetItLie Mon 19-Jun-17 14:56:06

At least I know roughly what I'll look like in Boden clothes - harrassed and frumpy, but clothed. It doesn't matter how many pleading emails you send me, Baukjen, your models are not of the same gene pool as me, so I. Simply. Cannot. Compute.

dotandstripe Mon 19-Jun-17 15:04:37

I've thought the same before. It's not that I expect the clothes to look the same on 5ft2 curvy size 10 me but especially their trousers and jeans often look super slim and fitted on the models and yet even their skinniest jeans are really quite wide on me. Surely it should be the other way round as my legs aren't as slim as the models'.

ontherightpath Mon 19-Jun-17 19:38:53

I love boden because it fits really well. Some styles don't suit me - but then those styles wouldn't flatter no matter where I bought them from. I buy size 8 or 10 regular, 5'6" and slim but curvy.

I agree with dotandstripe, their jeans generally come up wide/loose on the legs, yet look very slim on the models despite their skinny legs - definitely some bulldog clips/photoshopping going on there!

Heatherbell1978 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:40:03

Yes it's the fact that so many clothes are loose on me. I bought some mint green cropped jeans that looked lovely and slim fitted on the model and although they fit me fine, the legs are loose and the look is just completely different as a result. This is what annoys me. It's not that the clothes don't fit, and even some size 8's are too loose, so there's no way the clothes fit snugly on the models who are slimmer than I am. False advertising!! The girls dresses are lovely though so I'll perhaps just stick to the baby clothes😬

Everyonelovessparkles Tue 20-Jun-17 10:45:43

I think it depends what you buy. Some of their dresses fit me really well and some are too high waisted and make me look pregnant. I've now learnt to study the photos carefully and look for where the waist is, if there are pleats etc I've also never had a pair of trousers that look right and I've tried several styles. But the girls dresses are gorgeous smile

OpenMindedSceptic Tue 20-Jun-17 10:59:53

I think Boden needs to realise that -shock, horror! - some women have breasts!
Too many floaty, relaxed tops.
I need fitted with some stretch.
I need dresses with fuller bust option that are not cut right under the bust but perhaps fitted through the waist.

SukiTheDog Tue 20-Jun-17 12:35:39

I've had to give up on Boden. I'm not the right (airbrushed) shape.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Tue 20-Jun-17 12:45:14

I read all the reviews carefully. I ignore them at my peril 😄

I'm in Ireland so mistakes can be costly for returns (I have to pay delivery and returns)

Mcnorton Tue 20-Jun-17 12:51:26

I've pretty much given up on Boden. Partly the images put me off - I look at the models who are SOOOOO thin and think 'well it will never look like that on me so no point bothering'. Also, I'm broad shouldered but flat chested, so to get me shoulders in I have to order a size so large I have loads of excess cloth hanging down the front. That happens with other labels too, but more with Boden and their teeny tiny shouldered clothes sad

Pigface1 Wed 21-Jun-17 11:26:52

OP I'm soo glad someone else finds this - I love the pictures on the website by then find that the clothes when they arrive are large, body and shapeless and do me no favours at all!!

Chestervase1 Wed 21-Jun-17 11:59:24

I worked for a fashion house many years ago. I think you will find that the garments are showroom samples that are made to a really high standard. Ours were made up by two former Dior seamstresses and these were the ones shown to buyers. Pretty sure it's the same nowadays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now