Talk

Advanced search

upper lip hair - Jolene not touching it

(16 Posts)
queenofthebucket Sat 17-Jun-17 20:27:01

I've only ever used bleach on my upper lip, and I'm now 50.
Recently a few hairs are getting thicker and very dark and the bleach is just not working as it used too.

I'm not a big one for beauty treatments; I've always regretted shaving my legs as a teen, and since the menopause am getting even hairier. I have learnt to live with hair that can be covered with clothing and only exposed occasionally,but this facial hair is a bit scary. Can you talk me through the options?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 17-Jun-17 20:32:44

You can go for waxing, but it hurts, isn't too great for your fact, and IME young beauticians who don't look like Billy Goat Gruff, like me tend to miss hairs, and it becomes embarassing to point them out. In the end, I settled on depilatory cream, Nair or something, but the sensitive one. Three minutes and you can take it off. I still need to pluck the hairs appearing above the surface every day, but this way I get away with using the cream once a week.

WillowWeeping Sat 17-Jun-17 20:36:14

Waxing or threading.

Bleached tashes always look a bit odd in my view - they catch the light and end up overemphasised

PaintingOwls Sat 17-Jun-17 20:38:31

I have mine threaded every 6 weeks. Beware the pain, but excellent results.

Flisspaps Sat 17-Jun-17 20:51:39

Beware depilatory cream - I burned all one side of my face with one.

Just in time for my brother's wedding, so I have half a scabby face in the photos.

BoobieHolster Sat 17-Jun-17 20:58:16

IPL is an option, it can be done in salons or you can do it at home with the Philips Lumea, which is quite expensive! It doesn't work so well on some skin types though, fair skin with dark hair works best I believe. It's painless, just feels a bit hot. You have to do it regularly for the first few weeks, and then every 6 weeks thereafter. BUT you have to prep the hairs first with waxing/plucking/whatever.

I found waxing ok on my upper lip really, the area is so small that it's over very quickly. I preferred veet's favial strips, so I could do it at home. It can make your skin red so it is best done before bed IME. But as spongebob said, it can miss hairs (and I found that going over the same hairs over and over myself caused a very sore and flaky reaction!)

Aridane Sat 17-Jun-17 21:02:32

Threading

Stickaforkinimdone Sat 17-Jun-17 21:24:26

Defo threading! It really isn't as bad as people make out-yes it smarts for a bit but they do it so quickly you'll be done within the minute
Excellent results and no irritation afterwards

ChocChocPorridge Sat 17-Jun-17 21:32:19

I pluck the couple at the edges that are annoyingly wiry (so I'd sit and fiddle with if I didn't pull them out) - otherwise, I just don't worry any more. I used to bleach the lot (and my knuckles!), and TBH, I've not had any funny looks or comments - even from DP since I stopped a few years ago.

I think that people just don't notice.

I tried threading, but the pain of it was unbelievable - nose and eyes watering - it just didn't seem worth it - plus then my face looked weird to me - hair-free upper lip, but the rest of my face covered with the normal downy fuzz.

BubblesBuddy Sat 17-Jun-17 21:35:10

Laser hair removal. That makes them grow back weaker and eventually little grows back. Not cheap but it works.

Sparkletastic Sat 17-Jun-17 21:41:45

Just get the Phillips trimmer thingy off Amazon. Lovely and smooth and so easy. Sali Hughes recommended and I've never looked back. Looks like a pink pen. Fairly inexpensive.

pixelated Mon 19-Jun-17 23:00:06

Electrolysis.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 20-Jun-17 02:47:45

In all honesty shave it, cheap painless and easy

avamiah Tue 20-Jun-17 02:55:25

I thread it.
My mum is 80 and she uses veet (but leaves it on for 20 mins)
I couldn't believe the amount of hair that comes off.
It's better than threading.haha

BigYellowJumper Tue 20-Jun-17 03:03:42

I use an eyebrow razor every day, easier than waxing and better for your skin.

allfurcoatnoknickers Tue 20-Jun-17 04:08:22

Wax it! Takes about 2 minutes and you're done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now