Talk

Advanced search

Bra experts needed! First bra for preteen

(7 Posts)
Wafflenose Thu 15-Jun-17 17:03:47

Hello, a few years ago, the Mumsnet bra ladies successfully sorted me out, and I haven't looked back! I have a daughter who is coming up for 12 and will need her first bra imminently. She's been in a racer back crop top for about a year, but is developing fast now. Please can you remind me how it all works - do you basically not add 4/5 inches on to the band size any more? And where are the best places to shop for her, if this means she comes out at an unusual size like 24C or 26B? I could take her down to M&S, but I'm sure they'd try to put her in a 32AA or something! I'm a 32 back, and not at all petite, so I know she won't be! (She's 5'2" and a ladies size 4-6).

Any tips for going about it would also be helpful... she's not normally a shy girl, but clams up when anything to do with puberty is mentioned. I'd like to be involved, take her for a girly shopping trip followed by hot chocolate or something, but am wondering if it might be better to order a variety of bras, let her try them on at home and decide what she likes?

OOAOML Thu 15-Jun-17 17:09:52

DD and I have been through a few fittings, and have gone to John Lewis who have been really good. Last time I sat outside but the first time she wanted me in with her. They reminded me of my bravissimo fittings (not obsessed with the measuring tape!) and spent ages getting the right fit for her.

MsHippo Thu 15-Jun-17 17:36:56

For an intermediate option, I've recently discovered the m&s Isabella lace bralet and I am a convert! They pull on over the head but they have proper adjustable straps and fairly shaped cups. They look fab under clothes and give a really nice natural not "in, up and out" type shape, and you just buy them in clothes sizes. The only thing is I'm not sure how small they go. I normally wear a 32/34B and a size 10 is great on me. My friend is also evangelical about them - I don't know her size but I would say smaller back and quite a lot larger cup than me, and they still suit her perfectly.

MsHippo Thu 15-Jun-17 17:37:36

And no I don't work for them! And I realise the bra game is often poor but these are a wonderful exception.

Wafflenose Thu 15-Jun-17 21:51:53

Thanks, both. The Isabella bra is pretty, but starts at a size 8. Will take a look around. John Lewis sounds like a plan - I think she will be horribly embarrassed, but it has to be done at some point. They're not one of those stores that would try to put her in a 32 or 34, are they?!

OOAOML Fri 16-Jun-17 09:23:37

John Lewis first put DD in a bralet type top that came in small, medium and large, and they've now measured her in a 'proper' bra, and they were fussy enough that she has one that's a 30 and one that's a 32 because they were slightly different styles with different fits. I think the smallest they had in store was a 28.

Wafflenose Fri 16-Jun-17 12:15:02

OK, that's great. We don't have a John Lewis locally, but can make a day of it. I think that's the way to go. I think she needs a proper bra soon, and I suspect she will be a 28 back. Possibly a 26, but we'll seem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now