Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flaky nail tips?

(14 Posts)
DrSnooze Mon 12-Jun-17 11:59:20

Hi, I have always had relatively weak flaky nails that break easily. I think I have a decent (ish) diet, though don't eat much fish, chicken etc. I am looking for tips from anyone who has had this problem and overcame it! Through diet, vitamin pills or products. I don't go to beauty clinics and am not massively keen on fake nails... Thanks.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-Jun-17 14:55:15

You could try CND rescue rx, it's excellent for repairing weak nails. IBX is the cats whiskers but salon only.

Don't believe the old adage about a cube of jelly, it's just sugar & protein. Protein is protein whether it's from pulses or meat or dairy or nuts.

Some people just have weak nails naturally, it's exacerbated in women if they use cleaning chemicals with no rubber gloves and hand wash a lot.

TanteJeanne Mon 12-Jun-17 16:04:26

A cube of jelly every day

DrSnooze Mon 12-Jun-17 17:34:27

Thank you Fluffy, sounds helpful advice. My sister used to do the jelly thing and I don't think it was all that successful but will keep an open mind Tante! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:39:55

Jellys 60% sugar, 5% protein.

It was probably a rumour started by hartleys.

I wish alcohol made them grow. That would be awesome.

burnishedsilver Mon 12-Jun-17 18:00:01

I think it is plain geletin that is the traditional remedy for brittle nails, not the modern day sugar fest that we call jelly.

WomblingThree Mon 12-Jun-17 18:00:08

Nothing you eat will help your nails.

OPI Nail Envy is really good, it sorted my nails out after they were destroyed by acrylics. You have to be patient though with anything you use. It's not going to work straight away.

I imagine clear gel polish would make them look better too.

EnidButton Mon 12-Jun-17 18:06:18

The original Nail Envy worked miracles on my nails. They weren't awful but years of nibbling them in my teens had left them weak and they would tear easily. They're now perfectly smooth, strong and never ever break.

EnidButton Mon 12-Jun-17 18:08:20

Also using one of those 4 sided manicure files once a week helps. The ones with a side to smooth, one to buff, one to shine, one to file. Although you should ignore the file side and get a glass nail file instead. That's what's worked on mine.

elephantoverthehill Mon 12-Jun-17 18:10:43

Sally Hanson works for me. I never wear rubber gloves, generally have my hands in compost at the weekend but some growth can be seen if I do it every week.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:14:48

Sally Hansen Nail Rehab or Maximum Strength. Works well.

Buffing etc will improve appearance but remember that if you file and buff, you are removing nail and they will get thinner and it can damage your nail bed.

EnidButton Mon 12-Jun-17 18:19:34

Oh yes that's a good point Bobbin!

Bob's right, don't do any buffing etc until your nails are much stronger. Especially if they're flaking.

DrSnooze Mon 12-Jun-17 18:43:26

Indeed fluffy. If wine worked for many things I would have a very successful life!

Thanks everyone for the product recommendations, I have a feeling that I will be trying them all! Interesting re. diet not necessarily working for nails, I find it interesting why my nails might be rubbish in the first place, but would be happy if I could make them a lot better!

I don't manicure/use a file so that's definitely something to start...

DrSnooze Mon 12-Jun-17 18:44:23

And Bobbin, thanks, I will wait till they are stronger.... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now