Talk

Advanced search

Dress for family do - garden party-ish

(26 Posts)
mrsmayitstimetogo Sun 11-Jun-17 19:24:17

We've got a big family do coming up - 100+ people, 70s and 80s, all 'smart'. I'm not smart, at all.
My kids (youngest is 4) will be the only ones there, so whatever I wear needs to be able to withstand them, and bubble mixture.
I need An Outfit - shoes as well as dress/whatever. What would you go for?
I'm 5.9, about 10 stone, small boobs, a bit squashy all over, but still relatively slim (10/12).
I'd really like some shoes that I can enjoy myself in, which as far as I can see is totally impossible - I'm 41/42, but with super-narrow heels (so most things just fall straight off).
Budget really depends on how nice it is, and how much use I'll get out of it.
Ideas??

NapQueen Sun 11-Jun-17 19:26:32

Have a look at Lindy Bop - perfect tea dresses and that sort for not a lot of money at all.

NapQueen Sun 11-Jun-17 19:29:43

id go for this one

Looks formal and dressy but a really fun print.

mrsmayitstimetogo Sun 11-Jun-17 19:49:42

Oh they're fun! though I think most of them are for much bustier women than me.
If that sort of shape, what sort of shoes?

Anyone else have any ideas?? I'm totally uninspired...

whitesklyer Sun 11-Jun-17 20:19:14

Budget?? I'd lean towards LK Bennet, like you am squashy all over and bereft of boob grin her dresses suit my shape (not too thin of waist - a good solid 12) they are pricy, even on sale. But they last forever so investment piece?

thenightsky Sun 11-Jun-17 20:26:14

I'm not sure Lindy Bop is 70s or 80s.

That's a strange mix of two very different decades.

Ohyesiam Sun 11-Jun-17 20:39:25

I went to a wedding recently and several women had jump suit type things on, either with heels or flats. You sound slim enough to go for that, and very child care friendly.

HappyHoppy Sun 11-Jun-17 20:51:30

I needed similarly dressy but practical shoes for a wedding and got these M&S raddled sandals - the block heel meant I could chase my toddler around the church yard with relative ease! BTW, I wore with a jumpsuit, which I loved!

HappyHoppy Sun 11-Jun-17 20:51:59

www.marksandspencer.com/suede-angular-heel-tassel-sandals/p/p60093543?image=SD_01_T02_4416A_F9_X_EC_90&color=FLAME&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

HappyHoppy Sun 11-Jun-17 20:52:22

Grrr! *tassled!

traviata Sun 11-Jun-17 22:46:01

I assumed OP meant the other guests would be in their 70s and 80s - hence no other children.

annandale Mon 12-Jun-17 00:46:18

Hmm - ted baker jumpsuit - too floral?

mrsmayitstimetogo Mon 12-Jun-17 16:20:01

Yes! By 70s and 80s I meant 70 YEAR OLDS and 80 YEAR OLDS! Not people from the 70s and 80s!!!

Will look at LK Bennett.
Those Marks shoes look great - can't wear Marks though as they're made for wider feet than mine...

Ted Baker: is nice, but just too much of a Thing, if you see what I mean? I'm one for blending into the background, and I'm not sure I could do that in that!

whitesklyer Mon 12-Jun-17 19:44:23

LK Bennett sandals/ wedges not sure what they are called ??? like these, bought them a few weeks ago in the outlet. v comfy and can be worn with jumpsuits and dresses. My sis said they were very "Middleton" hmm

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 12-Jun-17 19:55:07

www.asos.com/warehouse/warehouse-dandy-print-mono-jumpsuit/prd/7514076?iid=7514076&clr=Black&SearchQuery=warehouse%20jumpsuit&pgesize=25&pge=0&totalstyles=25&gridsize=3&gridrow=5&gridcolumn=3

I was eyeing this earlier - would something like that work?

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 12-Jun-17 19:56:33

www.oasis-stores.com/gb/clothing/jumpsuits-playsuits/crop-wide-leg-jumpsuit/062527.html?dwvar_062527_color=01&position=13&cgid=jumpsuits-and-playsuits#page=2&start=13&categoryID=jumpsuits-and-playsuits

I like this too.

Desperad0 Mon 12-Jun-17 20:07:35

I would go for a jumpsuit, with a pattern but not too garesh- looks smart, disguises handprints and fine for running round & joining in games with the kids

OlennasWimple Mon 12-Jun-17 20:12:43

If you have tricky feet, I would start with the shoes and then find an outfit to go with. There are lots of lovely shoes and dresses around, I'm sure you will find something easily when you have narrowed down what you are looking for

Wedges are probably your best bet, though there are lots of sandals with chunky heels around. Where do you normally buy shoes? (I am wide of hoof, so have no idea about slim feet!)

mrsmayitstimetogo Mon 12-Jun-17 20:34:09

olennas, well, the smart shoes I have are from Hobbs (all 3 pairs of them) but I can't actually walk in them and by the end of an evening my feet are agonising. Buying shoes, any kind of shoes, is hell. A friend who loves shoes took me shopping, and even she was depressed by the end of an afternoon when we'd been into 12 shops and not one thing fitted.
Jumpsuits do look to be the answer, but I'm struggling to find something that doesn't look like pyjamas, and won't just gape horribly at the front.
Oh, I don't enjoy shopping!

OlennasWimple Mon 12-Jun-17 20:43:59

Would something like this work? I think the straps mean that they would stay on you, and the heel is broad enough not to get stuck in the grass. Plus you can wear a dress, or a jumpsuit, and get lots of use out of them in the future

OlennasWimple Mon 12-Jun-17 20:50:07

Or would sandals be dressy enough?

RTKangaMummy Mon 12-Jun-17 21:13:42

Can you post photos of your favourite shoes from your cupboard, that are most comfy

Also, photos of your favourite outfit that you spend most of time in

Then it may show the shape and style of clothes that suit you smilesmilesmile

mrsmayitstimetogo Tue 13-Jun-17 06:17:01

I'm not at home...
I've always treated clothes as things that you just put on because you need to keep warm/covered, and this attitude has become more problematic over the years - it's not serving me very well right now. In the winter I wear jeans, long sleeved t shirts and jumpers, with my one pair of winter shoes (shiny trainers, which I don't much like).
Summer, saltwater sandals (which aren't brilliant for my feet, but are bearable) with shorts or 3/4 trousers or linen skirts.
I don't at the moment own any comfy shoes. At all.
I do need to find a way out of this rabbit hole, as it's starting to make me unhappy.
Ted&Muffy - never heard of them before, but they look amazing! Oh, if their narrow shoes fit me, that would be such a revelation. I keep wondering if I should get one of the super-eco shops to measure my feet properly and make a last to fit, but it's just so expensive, and the shoes they make are so hobbit-like (I have hobbit tendencies, which I don't really want to encourage).

raspberrycordial Tue 13-Jun-17 06:27:48

This is a lovely dress, I know you said you were unsure about ted baker but I don't think this screams 'ted'

Tanaqui Tue 13-Jun-17 06:35:44

Boden have a lovely looking jumpsuit that isn't wrap style so wouldn't gape- link hopefully here:
m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/occasion-dresses/wm477-pnt/womens-navy-fresco-floral-amanda-jumpsuit?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Women-_-WM477&istCompanyId=a40e1fa1-0635-4a1b-8d9a-2caa763eeee2&istItemId=xpmxmaxpar&istBid=wzwt&gclid=CMXMz9mMutQCFQMW0wodbwsLNA
Plus some others, 30% off at the mement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now