Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tired of wearing jeans and tops all the time. Help me look amazing!

(15 Posts)
ForeverFearless Sun 11-Jun-17 09:48:23

Hi I can do with some help as I am clueless.

I'm 42, 5ft 6 and a size 14/16 - with a mum tum and zero confidence.

I live in jeans and plain tops and trainers.... when I'm at work it's black trousers, plain tops and jumpers.

I'm so bored! But also scared to try anything else. I think I wear plain stuff so I don't stand out and people don't notice me. I don't have much confidence and when I do buy new things they look terrible on me - I just think I get it wrong - so I revert back to boring plain stuff.

I've tried wearing skirts in the past but feel very manly and clumsy and not feminine in them at all. ;(

But I'm fed up now so it has to change. I need a work wardrobe (I work in an office and have to look smart) and then also a home wardrobe for school run, lunches with friends etc xxx

Any tips would be amazing. Thank you xx

treaclesoda Sun 11-Jun-17 09:49:27

Following with interest, because I feel the same. smile

wickedfairy Sun 11-Jun-17 09:52:46

Can't help, sorry, but I am the same. A bit taller than you but I also feel a fraud in feminine clothes. I work in a male dominated industry, everyone in jeans and a top - myself included.

Wear the same at home with the kids. A dress seems totally dressed up to me, I would love an alternative to jeans, without feeling like I'm playing dress-up. Following with interest!

Millipedewithherfeetup Sun 11-Jun-17 10:05:30

I think rather than a drastic change, go slowly, start perhaps with coloured jeans/cropped. Move onto maxi skirts, slowly raise the hem.... by winter you will probably be more comfortable in a shorter skirt with thick tights and boots, by next spring your style will of completely changed and light weight summer dresses will be feeling normal !

Floisme Sun 11-Jun-17 10:20:29

If you don't feel right in skirts or dresses then don't wear them. I'm bored with them myself right now. This is a great time for wearing trousers because there are so many interesting shapes around at the moment.

mylaptopismylapdog Sun 11-Jun-17 10:22:13

Maybe having. your colours done would help you. I can't claim to look amazing but do feel better when I wear colour that I think suits me rather than neutrals. Rather than going for a girly dress to start with try a plain colour with clean lines may just be me but I find all over print seems harder to wear. Go shopping and just try to keep an open mind and try on some of the things you would normally dismiss. I think most of us go through phases when we feel the same but sometimes just a few new things can make us feel better.

clippityclop Sun 11-Jun-17 10:48:47

At the risk of sounding blunt is your size an issue? Upping your regular exercise might lift your mood and confidence, and help you feel generally better. Getting your colours done will help you weed out the stuff that's not doing you any favours and get sorted with the right shades of make-up. I haven't had it done myself yet but a HOC style class might be the thing to help you with the rest.

Ktown Sun 11-Jun-17 11:38:34

I like wearing plain androgynous clothes from COS
I think a haircut - to soften your jaw and some confidence are what you need
Make up can also help a lot

Many clothes in fashion are only good on models so simple plain well cut cool clothes may be the way forward

LoadsaBlusher Sun 11-Jun-17 13:09:31

I think jeans are a good starting point . Absolutely nothing wrong with jeans and tops if they are the right ones

On my non work days I pretty much live in skinny jeans or jeggings.
However I plan my outfits the night before and have them all laid out.

So start with black skinny jeans , a long length black vest , layer a grey lose fit boxy top over the top
Then I accessorise with a chunky necklace and earrings and bangle

Shoes are either plain white or black vans / leopard pointy pumps or black chunky block heel boots depending on weather

I try to wear no more than 3 colours 4 at absolute most to keep looking together .

So a few good pairs of jeans / plain tops that really fit and are ironed clean and you feel great in.

Clean neat shoes
Accessories to jazz it up a little

This basic outfit of mine can be super casual with khaki thin summer parka or I can dress up instantly with a little Zara jacket and the pumps

LoadsaBlusher Sun 11-Jun-17 13:10:49

Must add I generally always have a red lippy on too and full make up
Definitely helps with confidence

userofthiswebsite Sun 11-Jun-17 14:26:35

Why not start with a casual dress that can be teamed with white plimsols. If you're comfortable with denim, how about a denim dress?

I am really liking the culotte jumpsuits that are around at the moment. never thought I would but they are surprisingly flattering on and can be dressed up with heels or dressed down with flats / plimsolls and chunky jewellry

BusterGonad Sun 11-Jun-17 18:20:17

I know it's not idea for now but in the winter jumper dresses with tights and boots is so easy to wear and I personally think most people look good in them. What about a long t shirt style dress over leggings (I know they are not stylish but just to get you feeling comfortable) with some pumps or sandals.

ForeverFearless Mon 12-Jun-17 11:21:04

Thank you for some great ideas! I agree my size is a bit of an issue so have started power walking for half an hour before work. Thanks again!

BusterGonad Mon 12-Jun-17 11:32:46

Also Op I'm not sure what your bras are like but a well fitting bra can really take lbs of off you. I find when I get a great fitting bra my tummy looks flatter and clothes look so much better on me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now