Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you curl your hair?

(22 Posts)
YourFelineFriend Thu 08-Jun-17 09:38:06

I've got got very long (3/4 of the way down my back) hair and would love to be able to have it wavy/curly occasionally. I've tried sock bun curls but it didn't look right, I can not curl my hair with straighteners. I've tried 100's of times and just can't do it. I do have a curling wand but it's quite a thin one and the curls are too tight. I'll try and attach a picture of what I'm looking for.

YourFelineFriend Thu 08-Jun-17 09:40:03

This is basically my hair colour and length and how I'd like it.

Maudlinmaud Thu 08-Jun-17 09:44:58

I have a big barrel tong. I think it's tresseme my friend bought it for me for Christmas.
My hair holds a curl well and the effect is great but time consuming. My dd uses sleep in rollers and her hair is long like yours.

kel1234 Thu 08-Jun-17 09:47:58

I've got naturally curly hair that goes rally frizzy and I hate it. So all I have to do is wash or at least wet it, and let it dry naturally, some mousse to stop the frizz.
Though I've heard from other people that rollers give better more naturally looking curls. Though no personal experience GHD addict).

hazeydays14 Thu 08-Jun-17 09:55:19

If you want looser curls you could try one of those aurora hair bands that you wear to bed (or make your own because I'm sure it can't be that hard)

My hair is a bit shorter than yours but I wrap my hair into a loose circle around my fingers and use straighteners to heat the hair and that gives 'imperfect' curls but they are tighter than the picture.

Sometimes I do them tighter and sleep on them and they come out similar to the picture.

PointlessUsername Thu 08-Jun-17 09:59:12

I dont curl mine but i do curl DD's and with the bigger barrel tongs her hair never stays so we brought the chopstick curler and do it the night before after she has slept on it the curls are still there.

Tartle Thu 08-Jun-17 10:46:08

The only way I can get mine to curl is by doing it up around a headband. I wear it up one day, then sleep in it and take it out the following morning and carefully shake the curls out.

I tend to put it up wet then blast it a bit with hairdryer. Lots of hairspray and my new favourite product sugar spray to keep the curls in.

Curls are better with a thicker headband.

YouWereRight Thu 08-Jun-17 10:54:15

My hair goes like that if I do rope braids in my hair whilst its slightly damp and thensleep on it.

MooMinCow Thu 08-Jun-17 13:23:15

I don't have long hair but was looking for tutorials so I could do my daughter's long hair and found this video. She basically ties it up loosely into a high ponytail and just uses a big barrel tong/wand, sprays and clips the curls, leaves them in while she does her makeup and then takes them out. Seems pretty easy?

YourFelineFriend Thu 08-Jun-17 13:28:12

Thanks for all the ideas. I have also tried my own version of the arura band but the curls went a bit weird with loads of links ect. I think it might be my hair is just a bit too long for it to work properly.

Youwereright, what's a rope braid?

Looks like a big barrel curler will be the best option. Does anyone have any recommendations?

YourFelineFriend Thu 08-Jun-17 13:29:09

Sorry moo, didn't see your post before I posted. I've heard about the ponytail curl thing I will have that a try

CremeBrulee Thu 08-Jun-17 13:34:19

There's a video doing the rounds on Facebook where you take sections of hair, roll it up with your fingers, then cover with foil to make a flat parcel. Do this where on each section where you want a curl.

You then use your straighteners on each of the foil parcels in turn. When the parcels are cool, unfold them and you should have big loose curls.

Haven't tried it yet but I think I will.

anxiousandpregnant Thu 08-Jun-17 14:44:58

I have the tresemme perfectly (UN)done curling wand, if you use this (or any curling wand for that matter, as long as its not too thin) then brush the curls through it will look exactly like the picture you have shared! I do my hair like this on a weekend it looks effortless even though in reality it took about an hour lol use plenty of hairspray after too.

YouWereRight Thu 08-Jun-17 22:01:18

A rope braid is a two strand plait. Like this but I do a couple of them.

Aria2015 Thu 08-Jun-17 22:29:29

I use a curling wand on the hottest settings. It gives me nice relaxed waves. It's really easy, you just wrap chunks of hair around it and then after a few seconds pull the wand out.

PNGirl Thu 08-Jun-17 23:51:05

I use the Cloud 9 wand (it's conical). Gives lovely loose curls.

FlamingoSanDomingo Fri 09-Jun-17 00:05:55

I use large heated rollers. Only need about 6, comb hair really smooth/straight and then wrap around roller. Leave in while I do make up and get dressed and then take them out when they're cool. Use spray to keep the curls.

angelcakerocks Fri 09-Jun-17 00:25:42

which heated rollers do you use flamingo ?

user1490142285 Fri 09-Jun-17 00:39:40

I bought some soft velcro rollers I can sleep in: www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Sleep-Head-Rollers-Yellow/dp/B008L3IJQK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforum-21

They are easy to put in (I fix them with a kirby grip) and the velcro makes it easier to get the ends tucked in so you don't get wonky ends poking out. They're fairly large so just add a bit of wave for longer hair.

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 09-Jun-17 07:47:27

What about the TYME iron?

www.tymestyle.eu

FlamingoSanDomingo Sun 11-Jun-17 22:27:43

Angel they are very similar to these. I am a complete numpty when it comes to hair styling but I can work these!

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4441452?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7Ccid:199887993%7Cagid:17632543473%7Ctid:pla-92279241633%7Ccrid:74692317633%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:653014995074080272%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=CLuDnMXdttQCFRQz0wodMawNhA

RedMetamorphosis Sun 11-Jun-17 22:41:26

When my hair was that long, heated rollers were my best friend. I'd put them in first thing, do my make up, get dressed etc and then take them out.

Now it's a long bob, GHDs. The heated rollers were ceramic ones from Babyliss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now