Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work in fashion? Can I ask a question?

(12 Posts)
Me4You Wed 07-Jun-17 14:00:09

Is it cheaper/easier to make standard round neck tops and dresses than scoop neck or v-neck?

I have been searching for ages for decent summer tops and everything nice is high neck. My boobs looks awful in round neck tshirts. Like a shelf. Any time I do find a vneck or scoop (online) it'll be a plain basic style. The colourful prints will always be high neck.

My own frustration aside, I am wondering what the reason is. It can't be a coincidence. It has to be deliberate. But don't most women (UK anyway) have boobs that look better in lower necks tops? Certainly once you're a certain age. It's not a niche group, having boobs above a C cup. It's normal.

Is it cost? Is it cheaper to cut a standard tee shape?

I have to know!!!

Decsbetterhalf Wed 07-Jun-17 14:03:10

I too would like to know.

V Neck is the only top style I can wear with my F cups. Anything else and I've got a great shelf rack going on.

I keep googling V Neck tops 😆

DelphiniumBlue Wed 07-Jun-17 16:19:46

It's this year's fashion, along with frills and cold shoulders. Bad combo really, can't imagine the sales figures are going to be good.

lionsleepstonight Wed 07-Jun-17 21:54:48

I hear you. I've a short neck so need a deep v. Impossible to find at the moment.

mrsrhodgilbert Thu 08-Jun-17 09:00:14

I agree so much, I'm struggling to find nice interesting tops with a lower neckline. My other issue is that tops are so short too, finishing at the waist which I'm sure many women don't want. A bit more coverage would be nice.

scaredofthecity Thu 08-Jun-17 09:03:50

it's the fashion, I try to stock up on bits when fashions that suit me are in and tend to not bother when they're not in my favour... like now!
I'm a normal size 10-12 and not much is flattering atm.

Swearwolf Thu 08-Jun-17 09:06:58

I disagree, I'm a G cup and look horrible in v-necks, a high neck is much more flattering. I like a boat neck rather than round, far nicer on me.

I've seen plenty of wrap tops around though.

mrsrhodgilbert Thu 08-Jun-17 09:15:00

I like a boat neck. I'm struggling with the high neck and short length combination though, it makes me look fairly stumpy.

wellhonestly Thu 08-Jun-17 12:40:20

I also struggle when dresses have high waistlines and short skirts. I think it's to try and make the skirt look longer and more in proportion, but in reality it just makes people look ... well, stocky! Unless you are a willowy size 8 - which sadly I am not.

Maybe the high necklines are part of this - to make the top part of the dress look a bit more substantial?

Me4You Thu 08-Jun-17 14:08:33

Is it because models are usually small chested and so the round/high neck looks nice on them and we are supposed to think they look good and want to buy the clothes?

Then we get them and realise we look completely different in them!

I'm thinking of attempting to turn a few round necks into v-necks. Anyone done that?

SunshineOutdoors Thu 08-Jun-17 14:11:39

I'm v small chested and look shit in high necks too. V necks definitely more flattering.

MsMoobly Thu 08-Jun-17 15:28:17

Yes I do alter them. I love fab prints, but like you say so often if it has an interesting print, it has a horrible high round neck.

I leave the back usually at almost the same height then cut a deeper scoop out of the front. It's hard to hem a curved edge, but you can fold over a very narrow bit and add a strip of bias binding behind it, or what I do more often is edge it with a contrasting colour, trimming etc. if that works with the look.

I've got quite good at it now, but it is nerve-wracking to try to alter something new and expensive. It's something an alterations person could probably do though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now