Talk

Advanced search

I own 1 pair of jeans need a whole new wardrobe but don't know where to start.

(15 Posts)
NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 11:31:39

I am 37 fair skinned with brown hair, 5ft 3 and wear a size 10-12 depending on shop. I literally have one pair of jeans and the inside of the thigh has worn through so there can be no more putting it off I have to buy clothes. I don't know what is fashionable or what looks good so am desperate for some help please. I am a sahp so don't need work clothes youngest is about to start school in September so don't have mucky toddlers to wrestle anymore. I lost weight and have put off buying clothes for the last year as I wasn't sure I would keep it off but I have and hopefully will continue to maintain. I can afford £500 to get started and once I have some staples can add to it as I go, I need everything including underwear but that will be M&S so know what I am doing there and I have lots of shoes and boots so don't really need anymore. Thank you to anyone who is willing to help.

2014newme Wed 07-Jun-17 11:33:58

You could go to the personal shopper at John Lewis it's a free service and they are brilliant

NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 11:36:07

Thanks for the tip but the nearest John Lewis to me is over 100 miles away, I live in rural Shropshire so it will be online. Birmingham Bullring is about an hour and half by car but no John Lewis there.

Confused24 Wed 07-Jun-17 11:41:14

i think jeans are great as you can dress them up or down. I always have a pair of black and blue skinny jeans, a couple of pairs of bootleg jeans. I always wear tops that are long enough to cover my bum in skinny jeans or leggings and wear shorter tops with boot leg cut trousers. Thick tights or leggings go well with dresses and boots in the winter and no tight and wear with sandals for the summer. I tend to change accessories to change the full look of them outfit such as cardigans/tights/footwear. I find Debenhams/Dorothy Perkins are good for bright tops at the moment and too shop had a very large range of jeans last month. I always find it easier to wear the shoes I want an outfit for or to bring tights/cardigans etc with me to see different looks

Nomorerainplease Wed 07-Jun-17 11:51:14

There is a great John Lewis at the Bullring!

mirpuppet Wed 07-Jun-17 11:59:33

I like Uniqlo for basics. Free shipping (with code) and returns.

I also like COS and Other Stories. But both are better for trying on in store.

The Unfancy blog has a series about starting a capsule wardrobe -- I haven't done it -- but it looks fun.

Congrats on the weight lost and have fun buying clothes.

£500 is a good amount. I would spend it in stages and see what you like -- so first spend a £100 or so for 3-4 outfits. If buying shoes a bit more.

NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 12:08:03

Where is the John Lewis at the Bull ring please? Last time I went I didn't see one and I really like John Lewis for the kids and home stuff. I must admit this was a few years back about 6 maybe.

Yewtown Wed 07-Jun-17 12:08:17

I lost weight last year and had to replace my wardrobe. It was daunting as the baggy style clothes that I had previously favoured no longer flattered. What body shape are you as it will help other posters point you in the right direction. I find Fat face great for jeans. They are hard wearing as the denim is quite thick. Ebay can be your friend here once you know your size. TK Maxx can be good for stuff but can vary depending on which brands they have. Is there a particular style you like, classic, boho etc.

NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 12:12:18

One more question, I am going on a date night with dh next Saturday which will be the first time the two of just have done this since or eldest was born and is turns 10 this month. What do I wear I am so worried I will get it wrong and look like a fool. We are going to a restaurant on the river seven in Iron Bridge, it is quite formal not the sort of place you take kids and is only open in the evening. Then we are going on a rivet boat up the river to Shrewsbury about an hour each way, there is a bar etc on the boat. What does one wear on an occasion like this?

NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 12:14:00

I have no idea what shape I am. My hips are narrower than my shoulders and I have a waist, longer body than legs also I think.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 07-Jun-17 12:18:00

Are you going to Shrewsbury or Telford M&S?

Shrewsbury isn't great for women's clothes shops really, no Dorothy Perkins anymore and Topshop, Wallis, Warehouse etc are all small shops. But the M&S is big so if you're there anyway try out their jeans, the skinny ones are supposed to be really good.

Otherwise head to Telford where there's more under one roof. It seems to be where everyone I know shops.

NothingToWear01 Wed 07-Jun-17 12:21:48

Planning on Telford last time I went to Shrewsbury most shops had closed. Telford has a big outfit store on the retail park which stocks Dorothy Perkins, Too Shop, Warehouse etc there is also a big Next, Gap, TK Max and Sainsbury on the same retail park.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 07-Jun-17 12:22:40

For your date I'd go with good black skinny jeans with some sexy heels. I like heeled ankle boots with the jeans turned up a bit. Then a nice fancy top, if you're going on a boat you'll need a jacket. I like the pastel coloured biker style jackets.

I'm jealous of your boat trip, I've only ever done the one in Shrewsbury, all the way from Ironbridge will be gorgeous.

BrendaSmith56 Wed 07-Jun-17 12:23:59

John Lewis is in Grand Central Station (New Street Station) in Birmingham city centre.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 07-Jun-17 12:26:01

I love these looks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now