Talk

Advanced search

Self tan - dry skin...

(9 Posts)
Pollyanna9 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:09:02

Hi all

I'm pretty good at my fake tanning but the one thing that I struggle with is the tan sinking in to elbows, knees and ankles.

I've self tanned when I've been well exfoliated and have been moisturising for days on end - still I get the dark areas on the 'dry' bits compared to the others which look absolutely fine.

It also doesn't seem to matter how much I moisturise these areas straight before tanning either - it still settles into these drier bits.

Anyone with similar problems who has found something that they use which is failsafe for this problem?

Barbie1 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:13:45

Beauty therapist here.
Vaseline
Nivea

St Moritz dry oil tanner is getting great reviews right now.

I tend to avoid the areas mentioned and when I have finished my body I apply a little body moisturizer onto the mit and dab onto the missed areas, there is always some residue tan left but it becomes slightly watered down with the moisturizer if that makes sense?

Pollyanna9 Fri 02-Jun-17 22:22:45

I totally get what you're saying Barbie 1 about using the moisturizer-enhanced mitt to assist the transfer of just a little amount of self tan. I just don't seem to be able to keep up with keeping these areas moisturised - I don't think there's enough moisture in anything to every quench the thirst of my knees etc!!

I use that Onsen Micro Water salt scrub on my skin and it is really fabulous, I love it and skin feels great afterwards but even that and moisturizing the dry bits as well still results in brown stained bits.

I used the St Moriz liquid tanner this week cos even though I reserved for click and collect for the mousse at Asda, of course they then didn't have it when I went to the store to pick the order up. However I've just bought a mitt to further help with application and will try your tip for sure.

Do you think I should tan everywhere else then moisturize the dry areas and then use the moisturised mitt???

Actually the finish of the St Moriz liquid was really good (it was pretty much like using Fake Bake Original tbh, but far less expensive by far) and it's stayed on all week (in stark contrast to the St Trop in shower one) but I've also now got the St Moriz mousse version to use which also gets v good reviews. If I'm not quite satisfied with either of those then I'll certainly give the St Moriz dry oil one a go as I really love all things dry oil.

So should I put a layer of Nivea / Vaseline on the dry bits before using the moisturized mitt????

Barbie1 Fri 02-Jun-17 22:39:16

I scrub the day before, moisturizer daily anyway.
The day that I want to tan I usually dry body brush and slap on a body butter for extra moisture.
I usually tan at night so after my shower I would apply Nivea cold cream to my knees, elbows, feet etc. Tan as usual avoiding the mentioned areas. Do the mitt trick. Wait 5 mins and gently blot the areas with a dark towel. If I find it looking a bit darker I will massage extra moisture in after about an hour. Good luck!

Pollyanna9 Fri 02-Jun-17 22:41:00

Cheers, I'll give it a whirl smile!

villainousbroodmare Fri 02-Jun-17 22:45:56

I found St Moritz mousse (and all mousses) to be very drying. The colour was lovely and it went on well but it only lasted 3 days (rather than the regular 5).

Pollyanna9 Fri 02-Jun-17 23:02:39

Thanks for that info villainous - if the liquid proves to be ok as it has been so far I might stick with that then.

louloulottie Fri 02-Jun-17 23:04:53

I've been using fake tan for years, I exfoliate then apply fake tan all over - but - for my knees, elbows & feet I mix half moisturiser & half fake tan then apply that... I find that it settles better on those areas when diluted half & half with moisturiser.

Pollyanna9 Fri 02-Jun-17 23:55:54

Thank you loulou - some experimentation for me for the next few tans and see what works best! I shall be having another crack probably over the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now