Talk

Advanced search

How "summery" for a wedding in Scotland in early September?

(14 Posts)
PNGirl Fri 02-Jun-17 10:16:49

Hi all. My cousin is getting married in September in Fife – it’s around the 9th. Church service and then reception in a barn conversion type place. I haven’t bothered thinking about a dress etc. yet because I was going to wait for the summer sales, which are starting now. However a lot of the summer stuff this year has been very floral and bright.
Would you expect to see a guest dressed in a slightly more autumnal way for a September wedding, e.g. closed toe shoes, maybe a darker colour scheme? I’m aware that it could be either blazing sunshine or pouring with rain so don’t want to look like an idiot if it’s raining in nude strappy shoes, or if it’s sunny in say navy suede courts!

HouseOfGoldandBones Fri 02-Jun-17 12:21:48

I'm not far from Fife.

It will either be blazing sunshine or snowing not helpful

Go with the summery outfit. We wear summer clothes when it is "summer", if we waited for guaranteed sunny days, we'd be wearing our woolly jumpers all year.

PacificDogwod Fri 02-Jun-17 12:24:03

I'd go for something summery + cover up.

You need to plan for ALL eventualities grin

Fwiw, we got married at the end of August more West Coastish and we had wall to wall sunshine, but there is no way to bank on that.

squoosh Fri 02-Jun-17 12:28:11

I wouldn't expect to see people in autumnal clothes and colours really. People in Scotland just wear what they want to these occasions and don't really try and second guess the weather. 9th of September is closer to summer than autumn and you may well get a gorgeous sunny day.......but on the other hand the heavens may well open and release a mini monsoon. I'd just pick the outfit I liked the most.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 02-Jun-17 12:28:25

I am in Fife and am now speculating which barn type place you are going! It can still be warm in Sept so I'd say go for summery but have a jacket/some sort of cover-up for the evening. It can be chilly and windy if you are near the coast in particular.

PNGirl Fri 02-Jun-17 13:56:49

Ha, I don't mind saying! It's the Cow Shed, Crail.

I'm from near the Pennines in Yorkshire so used to variable weather, but because I work in fashion buying September is very much autumn in my head! A lot of the guests aren't going to be Scottish, it's just where my cousin and his fiance now live and work.

Right, so potentially summer dress and a jacket. I might go for closed-toe shoes just because it's on a farm!

Piffpaffpoff Fri 02-Jun-17 14:04:42

Oh, that looks fab. Crail is right on the tip of Fife and can be cold if the wind is blowing in off the sea, although experience has shown me that the east end of Fife appears to have its own microclimate and is often roasting when 20 miles down the road it's pouring down. So, I think have a coverup of some sort and closed toe shoes would probably be good!

NanooCov Fri 02-Jun-17 14:31:21

Eh? It's Scotland not the Arctic Circle. Wear a summer outfit.

habibihabibi Fri 02-Jun-17 16:17:42

September in Scotland can be as cold as December down South .
Choose something that you can wear tights , closed toe shoes and a jacket with to the most certain to be baltic church. Later with some drinks on board you can ditch everything for the reception.

bojorojo Fri 02-Jun-17 16:24:54

Definitely closed toe shoes. It's horrid having wet feet! I would go for a coat and dress ensemble. I think jackets always look like they were made for the office unless they are Chanel style.

PNGirl Fri 02-Jun-17 16:28:22

I am, obviously, aware it's not the Arctic Circle. I was more asking from a fashion perspective if sandals and very light colours for a Scottish September wedding are going to result in the hmm face - if so I would forego the sales and get something full-price from the autumn ranges. Thanks all!

curlycat Fri 02-Jun-17 16:30:34

I got married on 21st September many moons ago and it was the hottest day of the year in central Scotland.
2 of the guests were in the shops the morning of my wedding to get lighter cooler outfits

OatcakeCravings Fri 02-Jun-17 16:34:11

I live in Scotland, much further North and would wear something summery but take a coat!

Skyllo30 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:41:28

Yes to summery - I think for weddings you can generally wear something more summery than you would for another event.

Remember to bring your umbrella, sunglasses, gloves and sun cream. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now