Talk

Advanced search

Havanianas. Are they worth the money? Surely a flip flop is a flip flop?

(31 Posts)
Artyfarty555 Wed 31-May-17 20:59:20

Thinking of buying a "decent" pair of flip flops as l do find them comfy but looking online at Havaianas l can't believe the price. Tried some on in town today, and yes, they're flip flops!! Nothing special.
However l thought that a few years back when I bought a pair of "fit flops" and they were well worth the money, however they did have a bit of glam about them....sequins and a slight heel.
Havainas just seem...pricey for what they are...?

teta Wed 31-May-17 21:06:58

Buy them in Tk Maxx for £9.99.
Yes there worth it - they're soft and comfortable, as are Ipanemas.
Fitflops are also good.

marmiteloversunite Wed 31-May-17 21:07:33

I find the toe posts uncomfortable but I am not great with flips flops in general.

welshweasel Wed 31-May-17 21:08:49

I won't buy anything else. So comfy, and they last for years. I can walk miles in mine.

ILoveMyMonkey Wed 31-May-17 21:09:19

I love mine, comfiest pair I've ever had. £22 from Next which I didn't think was too bad although I wouldn't want to spend much more.

TheFlis12345 Wed 31-May-17 21:11:41

I have loads of pairs of Havs, one must be nearly 10 years old! They are so comfy and worth every penny. TKMaxx usually have a good range this time of year and Matalan sometimes have them as well.

FrancisCrawford Wed 31-May-17 21:11:59

Agreed.

They are just flip flops at an exorbitant price.

Fitflops, on the other hand, are amazing. Ergonomically designed for your feet and with about 300% more padding. plus they last for years.

GottonamechangeNow17 Wed 31-May-17 21:12:37

They are about £15 where I live; so class as cheap ones; I love them but they are no good for my feet or back as too flat and no support. I walk about 10 miles a day to and from work and school runs though so do need bit more support; do love them for beach days or going out for dinner.

mineofuselessinformation Wed 31-May-17 21:13:41

I love Riders...
A bit of a heel, maybe too plain for your tastes, but incredibly comfy.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 31-May-17 21:17:20

I remember seeing Havianas for the first time in Brazil backpacking, they were cheap flip flops sold in supermarkets. Bought a pair home as a cheap souvenir and found them in the shops back home for much more money and everyone wearing them

I have a pair of Crocs flip flops which are v comfy, they have little bumps which massage your feet as you walk

CointreauVersial Wed 31-May-17 21:24:33

They're comfy and sturdy, but I would pick them up at a discount (CostCo or TKMaxx) rather than pay full price.

Really cheap flipflops are a false economy - I had a Primark pair a couple of years ago - the sole was so soft and floppy I kept tripping over my toes. I binned them in the end.

As an aside, does anyone remember back in the 70, when flipflops came in only one design, in blue or red with a white sole? Usually purchased from Woolworths? I had a pair each year <happy nostalgic sigh>

CointreauVersial Wed 31-May-17 21:25:03

70s

sunnyhills Wed 31-May-17 21:25:38

Yes ,those Riders look great .Not dead flat and some have a fabric toe post .And there seems to be a sale on .
www.rider-sandals.co.uk/woman-c97/rider-m14

FinallyGotAnIPhone Wed 31-May-17 21:26:50

I have got loads of pairs but to be honest I'm not sure they're much comfier than the next flip flop. I also have a pair of fit flops which are definitely comfier but look a bit naff IMO (on me anyway)

tellybear Wed 31-May-17 21:27:11

I bought my first pair in 2005, they are still going strong!

travailtotravel Wed 31-May-17 21:33:37

I got a pair free from M&S last year (not Havi's but similar) they're so comfy and were obvs half the price. Not sure they're doing them now - like all things good from M&S they stop doing it ...

LadyOfTheCanyon Wed 31-May-17 21:41:10

I have Ipanemas and they're ok. No flip flop is good for your feet in the long run unless you've got asbestos feet or chronically fallen arches. I only use them when I'm on holiday because I'm lazy. The rest of the year round I would wear sandals because
A) I need more support
B) I think flip flops look slovenly
C) the noise flip flops make sounds like you're being given a slow handclap by your own feet.

FathomsDeepAndFallingFurther Wed 31-May-17 21:43:32

I don't get it either. An ex bought me a pair for holiday once and they're just....flip flops. Nothing special.

CharlieBoo Wed 31-May-17 22:04:18

So comfy

PepperySalt Wed 31-May-17 22:05:45

Havaianas are extremely uncomfortable. I'd rather buy Ipanemas if I were you.

SuperBeagle Wed 31-May-17 22:07:38

Yes. They're worth it. There's a reason most Australians own them. grin

SloanePeterson Wed 31-May-17 22:11:52

You need a pair of Reef Gingers. I've had ipanemas and havianas but they've really hurt my feet, the rubber straps make my feet ever so sore. These have a woman strap and comfy footbed. I've consistently worn them (not the same pair!) for over 15 years now and they have my business for life. I wear flip flops at least half the year so they have to be comfy.

TeardropExplodes Wed 31-May-17 22:15:20

My Fit Flops give me blisters.

weeps

museumum Wed 31-May-17 22:18:36

I find my havianas soft and comfy as they bend. My cheap flip flips were more rigid and slapped my feet as I walked and hurt my skin under the strap.

Artyfarty555 Wed 31-May-17 22:29:40

Thanks for all those really helpful replies. TK Max tomorrow it is then and busy online looking at other suggestions, names I'd never heard of. So thanks for the suggestions x😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now