Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have really thick hair

(69 Posts)
summerbreeze1 Wed 31-May-17 20:55:10

Hi does anyone else have really thick hair - and lots of it?
If so what sort of hairstyle do you go for?
I tried to grow my hair long but find it more flattering shorter. Shoulder length - all the same length -doesn't work at all for me.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 31-May-17 20:58:52

Yes. Usually I have a bob but have chopped the lot off fairly recently. Much easier to manage. I had very long hair and it was a pain. I can't say I have any volume issues though!

moodyblues Wed 31-May-17 21:01:28

I have very thick hair and when I chop it off, it always looks even worse, thicker and like I have lego hair.

I'm growing it but long hair just hangs off me and never look sleek cos it's so thick.

I'm between a rock and a hard place

imjessie Wed 31-May-17 21:08:29

Yes and it's curly so massive ! .. I have it long ish and free as trying to control it makes me look weird . It's sort of my thing having messy hair !

BlahBlahBlahEtc Wed 31-May-17 21:10:37

I have really thick and almost bum length hair which is wavy but not enough to look nice. I like it when I've spent time straightening etc which is rare.. it takes forever to wash, dry, brush, style. my favourite was a pixie cut. I'm getting one again next week.

PickledLilly Wed 31-May-17 21:14:06

Mine is long, thick and wavy. If I go above shoulder length it tries to stand out sideways and takes lots of taming. Long, I just tie it up. I've been tempted to go really short but my hairdresser is a bit dubious about whether it will work or not.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Wed 31-May-17 21:23:17

P.s layers are your friend!

babybarrister Wed 31-May-17 21:25:34

Length is also your friend - shudders at photo from teen years when I got my hair shaved at the back... confused

HairsprayQueen Wed 31-May-17 21:26:01

Yes, if I cut it it sticks out so I have to have a bit of length to weigh it down.

It's actually an ok length to wear down at the moment but now it's warmer it's like wearing a blanket round my neck and shoulders so it's always up.

And it takes fooooorrrrrreeeeevvvveeeerrr to dry, really, it can take all day naturally but it goes all a bit frizzly looking with a hairdryer.

If I had half the amount of hair I'd still have a normal amount, it's a shame I'm a bit fat and old for an undercut really!

imjessie Wed 31-May-17 21:28:25

Mine takes 5 / 6 hours to dry completely as it stays really wet underneath!!

jollyjester Wed 31-May-17 21:30:56

I have ridiculously thick hair. I've tried having it short and its not a good look.

I keep mine about two inches above my elbow with a few long layers to thin it out.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 21:31:23

Yes. Is lowest maintenance at this length. Lots of long layers. Is vvvvvvv curly. I dry it in sections with a big round brush and it lasts til day four.

Looks like a triangle without lots of layers.

MsUnderstanding Wed 31-May-17 21:32:35

Inverted long bob with some of the thickness taken out with thinning scissors to prevent that triangular head look. I'm bored of this now though so am growing it out and mostly wearing it in a pony.

PossomInAPearTree Wed 31-May-17 21:34:46

Me!

Short hair I look like Simon cowell crossed with Jedward.
A bob makes me look like a lego person.
Slightly longer gives a triangle style
Long, is a heavy weightless, style free zone.

Can't curl it, can't straighten it.

Willowfrost Wed 31-May-17 21:36:01

I have mine cut asymmetrical, shaved one side and longer layers the other side . My hairdresser also thins it out loads. I love it !!!

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 21:37:38

Own devices, no layers, looks like I have been dragged through a hedge on day two and takes more than overnight to completely dry 🙁.

I have always spent money on a good cut. That and decent shampoo/conditioner.

CanIGoToBedNow Wed 31-May-17 21:42:48

What shampoo and conditioner do you guys use? I can't find one that doesn't make my hair greasy or rough feeling/looking

alltouchedout Wed 31-May-17 21:43:31

Atm mine is shoulder length and very layered. It looks like crap though as I've been diy-ing it for 7 years. I'm going to get a layered longish bob by a proper hairdresser when I get the courage.

PossomInAPearTree Wed 31-May-17 21:44:50

I like the red tresemme one, think it's a keratin smoothing one.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 21:46:50

Daniel field plant remoisturising shampoo/conditioner here even though it is for chemically treated or brittle hair and my hair isnt treated or britttle, I just need that level of stuff. Their first aid conditioner is v good too.

I used Aveda shampure for 20 years before swapping to DF.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 31-May-17 21:48:33

Yes very thick and very curly. I follow the curly girl method which keeps it under control most of the time!

PickAChew Wed 31-May-17 21:49:19

Mine's very coarse and wavy, but not wavy enough to do anything but stick up or out at odd angles!

Gave up on trying to have it long, years ago. It was impossible to keep off my face without cutting a fringe into it, as it doesn't grow past the tip of my nose at the front. It had a tendency to break anything used to try to hold it off my face and my scalp was always irritated.

BasilTheLion Wed 31-May-17 21:49:50

The only thing which has made mine less like a lampshade is having that keratin smoothing treatment- expensive but it has made a huge difference

HeadDreamer Wed 31-May-17 21:50:53

Very thick and straight. I have it between a bob and shoulder length. With lots of layers to reduce the weight.

NailPolisher Thu 01-Jun-17 03:09:06

This thread is making me so jealous because all I've got is thin, fine hair that I've been desperately trying to thicken since I was a teen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now