Talk

Advanced search

ok, talk to me about primers- happy to spend ££££ if need be

(32 Posts)
bigbuttons Wed 31-May-17 16:17:06

Having invested in a v expensive foundation I need a primer, I am told. Can I have your recommendations? Should I also go high end for the primer too? I am nearly 50 with good skin, no problems .

PerfectlyPosed Wed 31-May-17 16:22:37

I was told just recently that this is the best make up primer:

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 31-May-17 16:25:25

That nivea is AMAZING,just no good for my sensitive skin.

Lanacane anti chaff gel is the same ingredients as Smashbox primer- MUA's use it. It's brilliant.

I'm using No7 primer atm but won't be repurchasing,I think it's too expensive for what it is.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Wed 31-May-17 16:29:38

Nivea did my skin no favours. Lanacaine is good though.
Do you need a primer though? I'm getting to be if the opinion that if you spend £££ on foundation that should be enough.

Esbm2015 Wed 31-May-17 16:36:40

I find using Smashbox's finishing powder really works to keep everything in place even without a primer

The No 7 one is good for the price, but not as good as Porefessional. The latter does feel v v expensive for the size though.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 31-May-17 16:41:52

Maybelline Baby Skin works wonders on my skin and I'm allergic to so much stuff x

JiminnyCricket Wed 31-May-17 16:47:28

It depends on your skin and what you want to achieve, and also slightly on your foundation.

If you want something that's just going to stop your makeup moving, the No7 all day wear primer (cant remember the name) is fab for that, but if you have mature skin and you want something that'as going to smooth your skin out you have a couple of options.

Best of the best IMHO for smooth appearance and not too much of a "mask" effect is Benefit's Porefessional primer. Absolutely fabulous stuff for all skin types and although it's formulated to fill in enlarged pores, it smoothes out EVERYTHING.

bigbuttons Wed 31-May-17 16:50:10

Ah, I do have the lanacaine and have been using. I get very confused. I will check out the nivea.
I don't know if I need a primer. What I read about is that it helps to keep the foundation in place and stops creasing. I really am clueless. I am loving my new foundation and want to make sure I get the best out of it.
Thanks for suggestions so far. I will look them all up!

Gah81 Wed 31-May-17 16:50:48

I like Smashbox primer - they have a pretty good range and it does seem to help makeup last longer.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 31-May-17 16:52:59

What sort of primer do you need?

You can have a matt one for oily skin, a radiance one, colour corrective ones, smooth ones, moisture ones and so on.

You need to decide what you need it for and then test it with your foundation, so you are certain it won't bobble or slide. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

CowParsleyNettle Wed 31-May-17 16:58:26

Hourglass Primer

Makes your skin feel like silk and sticks make up on like glue

https://m.johnlewis.com/hourglass-veil-mineral-primer/p/621331

CowParsleyNettle Wed 31-May-17 16:59:22

Lanacaine stinks! Personally I'd avoid it unless you have a medical need.

Lanaa Wed 31-May-17 17:01:43

That Nivea stuff does nothing. The YouTube who started the trend admitted she said it as a joke. Hourglass mineral veil is the best, hands down. It's pretty speedy though, so NYX Angel Veil is an ok dupe.

bigbuttons Wed 31-May-17 17:03:35

lanacaine doesn't small of anything to me!

I don't know what I need chardonnay, it's all so complicated. My skin isn't oil or dry, no blemishes , no redness, very few lines, but I am getting on and would like it to be smoother I guess. I wear a chemical sunscreen so that is always the product that goes on my skin first. Everything else has to sit on top of that!

binky11 Wed 31-May-17 17:07:34

Another vote for smashbox primer. I've tried loads Clinique, Mac, Benefit ect and that's always been the best by a long way!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 31-May-17 17:08:44

Lanacane didn't smell of anything at all, you don't use the anti itch stuff it's the lanacane ANTI CHAFF stuff which is completely different and just a clear gel.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 31-May-17 17:13:01

I actually don't like primers.

They are either too heavy and sticky, and I like my foundations liquid with light coverage or glittery and slide-y.

So, you might not need one OP. But do try, and see how you get on.

ThinkFastNotSlow Wed 31-May-17 17:17:52

Go and ask for a sample of Laura Mercier primer - good stuff.

khaleesitakesthethrone Wed 31-May-17 17:18:27

Benefit have a range of good primers depending on what you are looking for. I've tried a few and I highly rate them all. They are the best I have come across.

bigbuttons Wed 31-May-17 17:24:12

When I was having my foundation done at Space NK the SA used Laura Mercier radiance primer.

DixieChick77 Wed 31-May-17 17:38:43

I like light brightening primers, I can't stand the silicone ones. Bourjois do a nice one (pink bottle) and so do Benefit, "That Gal". I avoided it for a while as I thought the applicator was stupid - and it is - but the formulation is lovely.

CantChoose Wed 31-May-17 19:39:25

Another smashbox primer. I use the 'light' because I have oily skin but I've heard great things about them all.
I recently tried porefessional and it was nowhere near as good imo.

Queenofthedrivensnow Wed 31-May-17 19:40:51

Soap and glory one heck of a blot isn't bad. It's. Enter than no 7

SunsOutPlumsOut Wed 31-May-17 19:46:19

I like a tinted moisturiser. Sometimes I use that gal mixed in, or high beam. However I feel sometimes I would like a more 'set' look. How do those of you use tinted moisturiser use primers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now