We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of getting my hair cut short - help me decide please!

(7 Posts)
Bupcake Tue 30-May-17 19:54:34

I've never really liked my hair. It's a strange texture - the hair itself is fairly fine, but there is LOADS of it, and it's quite frizzy and unruly. It's not quite wavy, but not straight either.

It's currently shoulder length, and I mostly stick it in a ponytail.

I'm just a bit fed up of feeling like my hair does nothing for me. I've always wanted to see what it would be like if it was short, but I'm scared to take the plunge!

I also don't have much time to style it, so need a style that I can just brush every day. And I don't want to have to keep going to the hairdresser - currently I manage about once a year; can't see me going more often than every 3 months.

Is there any hope for me? Where do I start? Do I just go to a hairdresser and see what happens? Or is there a good website where I can get ideas first?

I'm totally clueless, so any advice is appreciated!

userofthiswebsite Tue 30-May-17 19:59:38

just google short hairstyles, though when you go s/he might say x will look good on you, y won't and so on.

I just had my hair cut short into a modern bob. The last time I had short hair was when I was 11. Very much not 11 now.

Enjoying it, less hot, quicker drying, less expensive shampoo used.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 30-May-17 20:32:17

I had a thread a while back called Show me your short hair - please! Loads of lovely MNers posted pictures of their fab short hairstyles, if you have a look through it might give you an idea of styles that would suit you. In the end I chickened out, I now have shorter, but not short, hair!

MrsLettuce Tue 30-May-17 20:42:26

A three monthly cut isn't enough to short hair to keep looking good, unfortunately. Hair needs cutting about six weekly to maintain a short style. So, I'd rule out you having it cropped on that basis alone. TBH that's one of the main reasons I keep mine at various sorts of 'long'.

Are you sure you haven't secretly got curly hair? I do think it sounds like you might have. What does it do if it gets drizzely-rained on when it's down?

MrsLettuce Tue 30-May-17 20:49:44

Mine is straight so I'm not someone to advise, but DD has a friend who turned out to be a secret curly and your hair sounds a lot like hers was. Maybe try googling the Curly Girl method.

MrsLettuce Tue 30-May-17 20:50:45

This, for example, is interesting to see. Here.

Bupcake Tue 30-May-17 21:52:21

Oh, @MrsLettuce, I'll check that out! Thanks!

To answer your question, when it gets rained on, my hair goes more curly but then frizzy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now