Talk

Advanced search

Olaplex

(7 Posts)
bellalou1234 Tue 30-May-17 17:57:46

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could tell how olaplex works? Do I get it done at hairdressers? Or can I buy the kit and do it from home? Also does it work? Tia

Girlywurly Tue 30-May-17 22:17:15

I don't know loads about it, but apparently it repairs the disulphide bonds within the hair, which are broken down by colouring and heat styling. It works within the hair, inside the cortex rather than at the surface level, so it is unlike protein treatments, which simply repair the cuticle. It's not a moisturising treatment, so if you have dry hair, you will still need to do something to hydrate it.

You can get it done in a salon, either as a stand alone, or with colour. Toni and Guy quoted me £40 for a stand alone treatment on my long hair, but I actually do mine at home. The whole kit is really expensive, so I just buy enough for one treatment at a time, from a woman on ebay who decants it. I get 10ml of No. 1, plus 20ml of No. 2 for £8.50, including p&p.

bellalou1234 Wed 31-May-17 07:46:40

That's great Thank you I'm going to have a look now. So would I just go for number 1? Thank you

Girlywurly Wed 31-May-17 14:39:48

In the salon, they do No. 1 and No. 2, and then you can buy No. 3 as a take home. I think lots of people just do the first two steps (that's what I do) but I've never heard of anyone dispensing with step 2 also.

CateGory8 Wed 31-May-17 14:41:13

I just use the Olaplex 3 at home about once a week. You can buy 100ml for about £20 from Amazon. I always thought the 1 and 2 were for the pre-process stage and the actual processing stage. If you bleach your hair at home then you use 1 and 2 but if you are just looking for a maintenance treatment then its 3 you need.

sortingmylife Wed 31-May-17 14:45:24

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking at this for a while....can you use it for natural hair that's just heat damaged?

Girlywurly Wed 31-May-17 14:50:57

Yes, you can. It will repair heat damage, but your before/after might not look quite as dramatic as someone else's, who had horrendously over-processed hair to begin with, iyswim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now