Talk

Advanced search

Spray Tan/Sunbed/or something else?

(17 Posts)
Lorralorralaughs Tue 30-May-17 13:36:39

I am going on a date soon, and have a beautiful maxi dress to wear that has a front split (think up to about my knee). Now my legs, at the best of times look as white as chalk and I'm a bit overweight....., so I am considering some kind of tan (also so I'll look better in my underwear!). However, as I am very pasty...I am not sure whether a spray tan would make me look like an oompa-loompa. Would a sunbed be better? And if so - do I need a couple before the tan starts to 'show'.

I am a complete novice so any advice would be most appreciated :-)

specialsubject Tue 30-May-17 13:39:47

Sunbed obviously a stupid idea. There are two legal products that are dangerous if used as instructed and the other one is tobacco.

Spray if you want, they always look daft though.

EllaNB Tue 30-May-17 13:44:09

I would purchase a fake tan from boots and an application mit.

The st tropez foam is great for giving you a nice natural tan although a bit expensive.

I have recently purchased a tan called bondi sands that I applied at the weekend. It's cheaper that St Tropez and has honestly given me such a nice natural tan. No streaks and not orange. The people who I spent the weekend with had no idea that it was a fake tan until I told them smile

Lorralorralaughs Tue 30-May-17 14:01:49

Useful feedback special. Thanks for taking the time confused

Thank you EllaNB - I'll have a look at that. I am always worried about streaking - especially as it's so noticeable on my white as white skin.

Calyx72 Tue 30-May-17 14:09:00

Watching as in the same situation as you OP - not a date but a wedding

EccentricPickle Tue 30-May-17 14:09:41

Can't go wrong with Dove's gradual tanner, IMO.

I use it for every night out and all through summer. It doesn't make me orange (I don't think), people have commented on what a good tan I have, thinking that it was real.

I don't really sunbathe and would never go on the sun bed. My sister has skin cancer and we have a similar type of skin so I'm paranoid about it.

BumbleNova Tue 30-May-17 14:18:58

specialsubject is correct, sorry if its uncomfortable OP. under no circumstances should anyone, ever consider a sunbed. they have been proven to be harmful.

A gradual tanner with a tint in it so you can see where you have put it, is great. i really rate both st tropez and vita liberata.

sweating Tue 30-May-17 14:23:08

Sunbeds (that autocorrected to sinners on my phone grin) are ridiculous and I know this isn't AIBU but YABVVVVVU unreasonable for even considering it. Just put it out of your mind. Only idiots use them.

I've just bought the St Tropez gradual tinted stuff - BRILLIANT. It not only gives an instant colour, but it's tinted so you can see exactly where you've applied it. It also builds gradually so you can have a tan that's as light or dark as you like. Their gradual tanner and in shower stuff is also excellent.

There's loads of safe options out there.

Sammysquiz Tue 30-May-17 14:39:18

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs is great - it's make-up for legs rather than self-tan. Comes as an aerosol or cream, I find the cream a bit easier to use.

Lorralorralaughs Tue 30-May-17 15:47:27

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help and advice. I have never 'sunbedded' before....and was under the impression that 1 or maybe 2 wouldn't do any harm (I wasn't, even for a moment, considering long term use), it's interesting to hear how vehement people are about them. It's not uncomfortable at all - I just didn't like specials tone when I was simply asking for advice..

I've ordered some cocoa brown instant tan (it gets good reviews on Superdrug), and some glimmer oil to go over the top to give a nice sheen so we'll see how that goes :-) grin

sweating Tue 30-May-17 17:12:13

Good move, OP. Report back!

(I do actually think even a single use of a sunbed can massively increase cancer risk. I'd need to dig out the research to back that up though.)

DeadGood Tue 30-May-17 17:46:30

Good luck OP. Bet you'll look fab!

PS spray tans look pretty incredible. You get a result with them that you can't achieve with gradual tanners.

You won't look orange, but it is a noticeable shade, the gradual ones will be a bit more believable whereas the spray tan will be obviously a bit fake (as the colour payoff is deeper) for people who know what you normally look like!

DeadGood Tue 30-May-17 17:47:04

Sunbed not only a bad idea on the cancer front, but also because if you are chalky white then presumably you will simply burn, not tan

Liiinoo Tue 30-May-17 22:00:26

I would agree that you should rule out sunbeds absolutely. They are dangerous and if (like me) your natural shade is a translucent bluey white you would have to use it for days to make any difference. I would second going for a good fake tan. I loved the Bondi Sands last year. This year I am into Vita Liberata 10 Minute tan but there are loads of great ones around. Or go for a spray tan, it is a pricy alternative but you will look great.

Hope the date goes well.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 31-May-17 10:46:00

I would disagree with specialsubject that spray tans always look ridiculous...if they're done properly (which a lot aren't) and not too dark (which a lot are) and not on the face I think they can give a beautiful light golden all-over glow. I'll agree that most don't look great then they're wearing off though, but if you only want it for a night...

Sciurus83 Wed 31-May-17 11:35:21

Spray tans are great when done at a decent salon by a professional. You can choose the shade even for pale and pasty and it will look natural and not patchy, trust a professional!

ItsAYesFromMe Wed 31-May-17 11:38:55

I use Airbrush Legs all the time, it makes my legs look so much nicer and no one ever guesses I've used anything. I use the Light one, the lotion rather than the spray. You can get Fair too but I've hardly ever seen it in the shops so it's either really popular and sells out or it doesn't really sell so they don't stock it. I'm pale though and Light is fine.
It never streaks, goes on a bit dark looking but when it's dry it looks more natural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now