Talk

Advanced search

Gel moments - DIY gels

(14 Posts)
ShinyGirl Tue 30-May-17 10:59:15

Has anyone tried these? An advert has just popped up on my Facebook and they look OK but before I spend £50 I wanted to see if its any good or not?

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a DIY gel nail kit please?

The gel moments take 60 seconds (allegedly) with one coat.

ShinyGirl Tue 30-May-17 18:56:30

Hopeful bump for the evening crowd.

ShinyGirl Wed 31-May-17 13:57:02

It doesn't seem very popular! I might try the boots one.

josedgie Wed 31-May-17 14:08:44

I haven't heard of Gel Moments, but I have the Sensationail kit (I have the old lamp, I believe the new one cures even faster)

I've been using it for a couple of years now and would recommend, although I tend to buy my polishes on Amazon and eBay as there is so much choice. I use FairyGlo and Elite99 polishes.

namechange20050 Wed 31-May-17 14:17:00

I bought a sensationail polish to gel system the other day. You can use your own polish, apply their gel top coat and cure it under the lamp. I got a weeks wear out of it before it started to chip at the ends. Really recommend it, esp if like me you own loads of nail varnish!

Llamallann Wed 31-May-17 19:31:10

I use an LED lamp because it cuts the cure time down to 30 secs! I use bluesky and elite 99 - usually bought from Amazon. In fact amazon is where it all came from, along with the lamp which was only £20!

ShinyGirl Wed 31-May-17 19:35:18

Did you just buy a lamp and then the varnish?

Llamallann Wed 31-May-17 19:44:54

Yep! To start off you will need:

Lamp
Cuticle pusher and good file
Buffer block
Prep and wipe (that's the actual name of it - cheap ones just as good as the expensive ones)
Top and base coat

Then just the colours you want! It's so easy. I do my nails at home all the time now. They don't look any different or last any less time! I will try and attach a picture to this now!

AntagonyAunt Wed 31-May-17 20:05:51

Hmm interesting. Does it last as long as shellac? You can get shellac starter kits on ebay from £40.

Llamallann Wed 31-May-17 21:05:04

Just as long. The only difference is that some of the colours ive had are not quite as thick as shellac so you need to use three colour coats instead of two. Been doing it for years now!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 31-May-17 21:17:15

You're not buying genuine shellac for £40 a kit grin

You can't buy a base, colour & top coat for £40.

ShinyGirl Wed 31-May-17 21:24:36

They look good Llama.

I'm going to try these gelmoments I think, because it says they don't need a base or top coat. I can't find many reviews that I trust though, as its a new thing from America and I think the reps are the ones leaving the reviews.

I'm suspicious of them when they say it's so good they are now selling them. Sound a bit like that Aloe Vera shit.

Llamallann Wed 31-May-17 21:59:55

Not entirely sure how good a bond you would get without base? Also I don't think you'll get as good a shine? I tried having a look at the one you mentioned but as you say there aren't many reviews.

AntagonyAunt Thu 01-Jun-17 09:50:32

You're not buying genuine shellac for £40 a kit

No they aren't CND, which is probably what you mean by genuine. I've used CCO polish for years and have had CND and have had the same results with both.

Interested in the Gelmoments though if the results are just as good would be great to cut out the extra time and cost of a top and base coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now