Talk

Advanced search

Cartilage piercing

(17 Posts)
Mama1980 Tue 30-May-17 08:21:49

Hi just looking for advice for my dd she wants 2 piercings in her cartilage, should she get them both done at once (both in one ear) or would t be better to let one real first? How long would it take to heal?
Thanks smile

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 30-May-17 08:29:52

2 would probably be fine. Where does she want pierced? It can take months for cartilage to heal.

My daith took 5 months but my helix was a pain for 2 years. My nose, however, was sorted in 6 weeks.

IJustLostTheGame Tue 30-May-17 08:35:36

Getting them both done at once should be fine as long as they aren't right next to each other.
If they are I'd suggest waiting, if she's very unlucky and gets an infection it could travel.
And use a piercer with a needle not a gun, it's much cleaner and causes far less damage.

TipTop333 Tue 30-May-17 08:37:02

Official advice is 3 months to heal but mine is taking a lot longer. Getting them done both at once does save on cleaning hassle though.

Nancy91 Tue 30-May-17 08:39:09

Two at once is fine, get them done with a needle though. I must say one of mine never healed as I kept knocking it or catching it in my hair, which really hurt.

katonic Tue 30-May-17 08:50:24

I had 3 done at once, in a row next to each other, no issues with that. It takes about a year before the cartilage is completely pain free in my experience, so awkward for sleeping - I wouldn't recommend getting different ears done at the same time because of this. Keep them clean, don't play with them, keep the jewellery in for at least 6 months as can be awkward to change and cause tiny tears that slow the process. Mine are about 15 years old and still get sore when I change them as need to completely manhandle my poor ear to get the tiny fiddly balls to go on!

nina2b Tue 30-May-17 10:38:37

Why would anyone want to ruin their ears in this way?

Teardropexplodes Tue 30-May-17 10:44:38

I've let my cartilage heal, and I'm really annoyed at myself, because it was my favourite but most painful piercing.

TheChineseChicken Tue 30-May-17 10:51:58

Oh, come on, Nina, it's an ear piercing! She's not getting a tattoo all over her face!

CatsAndCandles Tue 30-May-17 10:59:11

Just checking - does she wear glasses, headphones or a stethoscope? All these can affect piercings.

Also, you can't immerse them in water, so swimming's out for a while.

Buy saline spray in advance (eg from Amazon) in case it takes a while to arrive.

Find a reputable piercer who uses a needle.

Be prepared that they could take a year or more to heal.

Wobblebeans Tue 30-May-17 11:09:15

It depends on whether they're going to be right next to each other.
I have 3 in a row, but I had to get the 2 outside ones done first, then wait a couple of months before I got the middle one done.
My piercer said it's because when you first get it done it can swell a little bit and being right next to each other it can cause problems. Hope that helps

Mama1980 Tue 30-May-17 17:33:18

Hi thanks everyone flowersshe wants a helix and industrial piercing (I didn't realise this was 2 holes on its own) but she wants the helix next to the outer piercing....?
She doesn't wear anything in her ears really so that should be ok. How long do they recommend re swimming these days does anyone know? Thanks again.

Nina, she's 18 and happens to like piercings, I do too and have several myself just not cartilage ones. Each to their own.

Nancy91 Tue 30-May-17 18:42:43

Wow Nina, that's a bit rude, you wouldn't like the look of me then as I'm practically made of metal grin

She shouldn't swim until it has healed really, but it takes bloody ages for cartilage piercings to heal! Maybe give it a couple of months and see about swimming. The piercer will be able to advise better as my memory fails me!

LagoDiComo Tue 30-May-17 22:04:27

My cartilage piercing took a year to heal, good not to do it on the side you sleep on

TurnipCake Tue 30-May-17 22:23:30

I'd check with the piercer first if they are ok to do an industrial with a helix at the same time. A reputable piercer won't be unsafe if the anatomy or piercing doesn't allow it.

I had 2 helix piercings done on the same day, the second one did hurt more due to the swelling of the first.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 31-May-17 00:33:32

I wouldn't do an industrial and a helix on the same ear at the same time.

Industrials are sooooo easy to get wrong. I've seen more shit ones than I have good ones.

Get the helix or the 2 piercings req for the industrial- don't do all at once.

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 31-May-17 00:51:44

I'd probably go for the industrial first then add the helix when that has fully healed.

Industrials also only work on some ears, if they're not the right shape then the piercing can't be done properly. Unfortunately way too many piercers are willing to go ahead and do them regardless so it's important to find somewhere decent that will refuse to do it if it's not viable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now