Talk

Advanced search

5' 1" size 16-18 - Help!

(21 Posts)
ColdAsIceCubes Sun 28-May-17 15:25:08

I have been struggling with my weight since my youngest was born 3 years ago. He was and still is a high needs child (asd, GDD, adhd diagnosis pending) and I've not had time to care or think about myself. I am now only half a stone lighter than my 6" husband and stuck in limbo as to how to dress according to my current shape.

I have large breasts, large tummy (c section overhang too), large thighs and a rather large bottom and I'm struggling to look decent.

I like to feel comfortable, as I do a lot of therapies with ds and do two school runs a day. My current go to is leggings (I know, I know...) with dresses (which make me look pregnant) or t shirts and trainers, but I look and feel frumpy. I'm 36, so no spring chicken, but I feel so mid-matched and in a funk. Please style and beauty gods, help me look presentable.

Jimmymum Sun 28-May-17 15:28:07

What about tailored clothes?

ColdAsIceCubes Sun 28-May-17 16:14:49

I've tried tailored trousers, but they seem to cling on my c section apron. I've lost all perspective of looking 'nice'. I wear make up every day, but with the excess weight it's melting off and my glasses are slipping all over the place (not a good look).

Once ds has a nursery place (which will take a while due to his SEN) I can devote time and energy to sorting the weight issue out, but until then I have to make good with what I've got.

Thanks for replying though @Jimmymum.

Pinkkahori Sun 28-May-17 16:34:01

h&m

I am very similar to you in height and size and I got some of these dresses last year. I got them in large and they are a good fit. Look good over cropped leggings or bare legs if it is very warm .

ColdAsIceCubes Sun 28-May-17 19:37:56

Thank you pink, I'll order a few of those!

Pinkkahori Sun 28-May-17 20:02:03

Glad you like them. I used to wear more colourful, floaty style tunics and things but I like the shape and fit of the H&M ones, neater and less fussy.
I am an 18 on top and I bought them in large.

barefoofdoctor Sun 28-May-17 20:15:55

What about heavy jersey fabric maxi dresses? Cool flattering and easy to wear...

KatyS36 Sun 28-May-17 21:38:02

In case this might be useful, I lost a load of post pregnancy weight ~ size 20 to ~size 14 using Paul mckenna 'I can make you thin'. Huge plus was that it didn't actually take any time or require special foods. Katy xx

imjessie Mon 29-May-17 07:55:29

Hi coldasicecubes .. I totally get you as my son is nearly 6 and the same ( well no asd but similar ) .. it's easy to eat yourself through the stress of it all isn't it !... I'm overweight and in the last few weeks I've joined weight watchers , it's so easy to follow and is really working for me ( I've lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks ) I would have a look into it for sure . I'm only 5 foot and just find I cannot look nice unless I'm nearer 9 stone .. hmm so I'm focusing on that .

PlaymobilPirate Mon 29-May-17 08:02:22

Hi op - I'm about the same size 16-18 at 5'2" and I'm miserable in the summer. My c-section tummy overhang is my main issue too.

Watching with interest as I feel a mess!

PlaymobilPirate Mon 29-May-17 08:06:47

Ps I'm going on holiday in 2 months and I'm going to try my best to get a bit of weight off before then! I can't believe I need to buy holiday clothes soon 😢

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Mon 29-May-17 08:33:19

I'm a bit taller and smaller but not much. I live in those H&M dresses, really flattering and comfy and a great price.

sunnyhills Mon 29-May-17 09:33:40

Another here eyeing up those H&M dresses .5"1" and overhang .

Thank you Pink !

And thank you Icecubes for starting the thread ,no wonder you're in a funk with all that on your plate flowers + brew to you and all others coping with so much !

Wellysocksbox Mon 29-May-17 09:38:29

Oh, my boobs are too big to get away with wearing that dress sad

sunnyhills Mon 29-May-17 09:52:23

Oh ,I wonder if that would apply to me Welly ? I'm 18/20 on top and completely clueless about clothes .
What do you think ?

Wellysocksbox Mon 29-May-17 10:02:57

I revert to the Trinny & Susannah advice: V necks. Boring, but safe. The clothing arm of Bravissimo are good (is it Peppertree?) - also, John Lewis now sell a brand called Studio 8 which is an offshoot of Phase 8.

I LIVE in Phase 8 as the cut is generous and suits me, but sometimes I need to go up a size to get a fitted formal dress.

I cannot wear Fatface at all. I can sometimes squash into White Stuff. I am 5'2 and a 16 below and mahoooooooosive on top. East is also good. I wear a lot of jersey as it's stretchy.

Pinkkahori Mon 29-May-17 10:33:36

I wear a 38FF and there is plenty of room in the H&M dresses. The neckline on the ones I have is quite flattering.
I looked at Studio 8. It's expensive and seems to be designed for taller than my lofty 5'2.
I like White Stuff but usually buy on Ebay as I am a SAHM with a low budget.
I have 2 lovely jersey maxi dresses from Monsoon.(bought in more affluent times) I've had to get them shortened but the right maxi dress can look good on us.

OkPedro Mon 29-May-17 10:40:28

That H&M dress is lovely but doesn't the waist band look it it would show off a large stomach?

ColdAsIceCubes Mon 29-May-17 10:55:51

Pink, I've just ordered 2 of those dresses to try, they look casual enough to wear daily but with scope to dress up a bit. Thank you!

I'm going to have a look at white stuff, my budget isn't huge but I haven't spent much on myself in recent years so I think I can splash out on a few key pieces.

Thank you to everyone who has given advice, it's sometimes so hard to get your shit together and a different pair of eyes so to speak can help you see. I really do appreciate all the advice and kind words (thank you sunny flowers).

Pinkkahori Mon 29-May-17 11:50:28

It doesn't on me anyway OkPedro. It's flatttering - empire line sometimes looks good but veers towards maternity and anything swing cut or boxy makes me look bigger than I am.
I suppose it depends on where you carry the weight but the elastic on these dresses cuts me where I am smaller, above my stomach and the skirt skims it.
I hope anyone who buys it isn't disappointed. I am really selling it as a wonder dress but it just seems to work for me.

OkPedro Mon 29-May-17 13:35:38

Thanks pink my large stomach is more like a pregnancy bump but I'll give the H&M dress a try. I have to find something that isn't leggings blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now