Talk

Advanced search

Comfy 'fashionable' work shoes

(4 Posts)
ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Sun 28-May-17 12:03:42

Jimmy Choo and I need to part company. I have numerous pairs of classic stiletto in various colours and I alternate them depending on what colour I am wearing. I tend to wear tailored dresses / skirt suits which really need a heel.

But as I have got older (and fatter) the Jimmy's have started to get uncomfortable and I am sick of hobbling around all day.

So, what would you suggest to replace them?

have my eye on Russell & Bromley's Chester loafers which I think would be great with trousers but not so good with dresses. I'm not keen on ballet flats which I think are too girlish and not great for making a statement in the City. I think I need some sort if heel but not a stiletto and I still want to be fashionable.

And while I am asking, I need to change my Celine luggage tote for something smaller and lighter as the bloody thing is killing my shoulder. Any suggestions.

bojorojo Sun 28-May-17 13:18:58

Russell and Bromley have chunkier heeled lowish shoes that are stylish and the magazines are full of kitten heels! Sometimes Mode In Pelle have stylish lower heels and L K Bennett also do classic shoes with a lower heel. DD is a barrister and likes LKB and has lower heeled shoes from Ralph Lauren. If you can find theirs in the sale they are a bargain and are very well made.

I also think R and B do excellent well priced office bags. No obvious logos! You need a top handle! Smythson or Aspinall may have something too. Possibly Hugo Boss but I haven't checked! I would also look at Selfridges on line to get a feel for higher end bags. My DD coveted a Celine bag. Everyone at Geneva university has them apparently!

botemp Sun 28-May-17 13:50:11

Provided you're not carrying three laptops around the Celine Belt Bag may be a good alternative, it can be worn cross body too. The Givenchy Antigona is surprisingly light (but a bit of a ubiquitous bag at the moment).

Yes, kitten heels are having a resurgence but in all honesty, I'm not convinced they'll be around for a long time. Ditto to the low-ish block heels that are really hard to pull off without looking dumpy. I'm taking 'comfy' as a relative term here since you're coming from skyscraping Choos but I'd just start looking at mid-heels that are comfortable to your foot from companies that tend to that style over and over again, like Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Gianvito Rossi, possibly even Tod's. Dior also do a classic pump that gets sold every year that looks great but may be a bit on the high side. They won't be the height of current fashion but they won't date quick either. Alexander Wang's Simonas may fit the bill if you want something more fashion forward.

In general, I go with the rule, the lower the heel, the pointier the toe as I find round noses and low heels often quite frumpy but that's personal taste I suppose (I also have high arches to contend with so that affects it too).

Something like this may also work, not quite a ballerina but still a flat and dressy enough to go with dresses provided your ankle area is well defined.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 28-May-17 14:43:01

I think kitten heels are stylish, pretty and elegant. I really don't care whether they are in or out. I think for smart work wear a kitten heel or a thin medium heel of perhaps 3cm looks far more elegant and stylish than towering stilettos.

I don't agree with ballet pumps not being acceptable as work wear. My work wear is very formal, tailored and dressy and I often wear low heeled ballet pumps. Pretty Ballerina do some very formal patent leather pumps and also heeled pumps.

www.prettyballerinas.co.uk/women/ballerinas.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now